The Student Room Group

Theatre HL? Anyone taken it as a senior?

Hey, I'm going into my senior year. These are my projected exams:

Foreign Language HL
English HL
History HL
Physics HL

Math/Calc SL

Notice, there are only five classes. I'm having a tough time choosing my final class. This year I completed my Group Six, an SL course in Theatre. I'm happy with my results and am certain I got a 6 or 7 in the class. Now I have a final spot open in my senior year, and the option to take a second SL social studies course, a Speech/Debate elective, or find a way to HL in Theatre. These are the three options for my final senior class:

Pros of taking the additional SL: it looks like an interesting course, would be a blow-off (but still interesting) because I will have already HL'd in my social sciences, in History.
Cons: I'll still have take the SL test for weighted credit, but it won't add anything to my IB score.

Pros of taking the debate elective: It is weighted credit I don't have to test in.
Cons: A lot of in-class work, and missing class days for tournaments.

Pros of taking Theatre HL: I get another HL! And, it doesn't have a test at the end of the year, because all my coursework for IB is completed during the school year. Also, I took SL in a small Sl/HL comb class last year, so I know exactly what the HL requirements are from my older friends. Theatre is an easy subject for me, one which I enjoy working for and can excel in.
Cons: I would have to take it in a nontraditional style...say, in Independent Study or something. The HL class at my school technically sometimes exists, but doesn't really/used to exist. Nobody else is going to take it next year, so I will probably be grouped in with another acting class. I would have a tough time getting any of my actual performance credits in--even though the writing assignments would be easy.

I really want to take Theatre HL, but I basically have one of these three choices only. Help me decide?
Reply 1
I am in my final year of IB, Im taking exams right now. I don't take Theatre HL, however I do know how much workload is there for it. People think Theatre HL is easy since no exams are taken but the projects are difficult and consumes a lot of your time and is mentally and physically challenging. If you are still up for Theatre, then go for it, its amazing but strenuous!

So your subjects would be:

Theatre HL
English HL (Lang/Lit or Lit ?) ---( Lang/Lit is easier, unless you LOVE Pure Literature)
Physics HL
Foreign Language HL
History HL
Maths SL

Note: Will you take English A or English B (english not being your first language) ?
Suppose you take English B, you have to take Foreign Language A not B (IB Rules)
Also, from looking at your subject choices, you are only allowed to have 3 or 4 HL's. Not 5. Personally, I suggest you drop Physics to SL, since Im guessing your career choice has nothing to do with physics and the course is HARDCORE.

So your final subjects:

English A/B HL (Lang/Lit or Lit)
Foreign Language A/B HL
History HL
Theatre HL
Maths SL
Physics SL

Hope my suggestions are beneficial to you :smile:
If you don't agree with my opinions, no hard feelings and if any inquiries feel free to ask me
I know how IB is and how it works! I have dedicated 2 years of life to IB.
Reply 2
Original post by BigBlueGalaxy
Hey, I'm going into my senior year. These are my projected exams:

Foreign Language HL
English HL
History HL
Physics HL

Math/Calc SL

Notice, there are only five classes. I'm having a tough time choosing my final class. This year I completed my Group Six, an SL course in Theatre. I'm happy with my results and am certain I got a 6 or 7 in the class. Now I have a final spot open in my senior year, and the option to take a second SL social studies course, a Speech/Debate elective, or find a way to HL in Theatre. These are the three options for my final senior class:

Pros of taking the additional SL: it looks like an interesting course, would be a blow-off (but still interesting) because I will have already HL'd in my social sciences, in History.
Cons: I'll still have take the SL test for weighted credit, but it won't add anything to my IB score.

Pros of taking the debate elective: It is weighted credit I don't have to test in.
Cons: A lot of in-class work, and missing class days for tournaments.

Pros of taking Theatre HL: I get another HL! And, it doesn't have a test at the end of the year, because all my coursework for IB is completed during the school year. Also, I took SL in a small Sl/HL comb class last year, so I know exactly what the HL requirements are from my older friends. Theatre is an easy subject for me, one which I enjoy working for and can excel in.
Cons: I would have to take it in a nontraditional style...say, in Independent Study or something. The HL class at my school technically sometimes exists, but doesn't really/used to exist. Nobody else is going to take it next year, so I will probably be grouped in with another acting class. I would have a tough time getting any of my actual performance credits in--even though the writing assignments would be easy.

I really want to take Theatre HL, but I basically have one of these three choices only. Help me decide?

I am in my final year of IB, Im taking exams right now. I don't take Theatre HL, however I do know how much workload is there for it. People think Theatre HL is easy since no exams are taken but the projects are difficult and consumes a lot of your time and is mentally and physically challenging. If you are still up for Theatre, then go for it, its amazing but strenuous!

So your subjects would be:

Theatre HL
English HL (Lang/Lit or Lit ?) ---( Lang/Lit is easier, unless you LOVE Pure Literature)
Physics HL
Foreign Language HL
History HL
Maths SL

Note: Will you take English A or English B (english not being your first language) ?
Suppose you take English B, you have to take Foreign Language A not B (IB Rules)
Also, from looking at your subject choices, you are only allowed to have 3 or 4 HL's. Not 5. Personally, I suggest you drop Physics to SL, since Im guessing your career choice has nothing to do with physics and the course is HARDCORE.

So your final subjects:

English A/B HL (Lang/Lit or Lit)
Foreign Language A/B HL
History HL
Theatre HL
Maths SL
Physics SL

Hope my suggestions are beneficial to you :smile:
If you don't agree with my opinions, no hard feelings and if any inquiries feel free to ask me
I know how IB is and how it works! I have dedicated 2 years of life to IB.
Hi! I'm taking English a: English is my first language. The point you make is interesting that I'm not allowed to take 5 HLs, and I'm going to do some more research on that. It would actually be a little irritating for that to be true, and my counsellor has not told us about this rule, so...eh, don't know how I feel about that, haha.

Yes, I am personally interested I taking Theatre HL and considering going into an acting career myself. I know the workload, and I am confident I can do it. I just am not sure how/in what ways IB will be willing to work around me doing offhanded performances, with mixed Acting I and II non-IB classes, since I'll literally be the only IB kid to take theatre next year.
Reply 4
Original post by BigBlueGalaxy
Hi! I'm taking English a: English is my first language. The point you make is interesting that I'm not allowed to take 5 HLs, and I'm going to do some more research on that. It would actually be a little irritating for that to be true, and my counsellor has not told us about this rule, so...eh, don't know how I feel about that, haha.

Yes, I am personally interested I taking Theatre HL and considering going into an acting career myself. I know the workload, and I am confident I can do it. I just am not sure how/in what ways IB will be willing to work around me doing offhanded performances, with mixed Acting I and II non-IB classes, since I'll literally be the only IB kid to take theatre next year.

Hey! Im pretty sure one is not allowed to take 5 HL's! Its an official rule by the IB, so no point researching :frown:. It is weird that your counselor doesn't know about it. Plus, why on earth would you want to take 5 HL?! NONE can handle that! Its hard enough to handle 3 HL's! Look, IB is really strenuous, physically and emotionally challenging curriculum as not only you would study on your subjects, you would have to meet up 150 hours of CAS and also you would have lab reports, assessments, assignments and extended essay and tok essay!!!

My 2 years of IB was freaking INSANE! Even though i had 3 HLs.

The only reason to why I mentioned to take 4 HL's is because incase you can't handle an HL subject, you can drop it to SL and won't lose your diploma! In the end, its the grades that count, so putting up with 4-5 HL will take too much out of us which could potentially result to lower grades.

As for the outside Acting bit, you are allowed to take non IB acting Class, in fact you should do it as it would be excellent in your application when you apply for uni… I know my classmate who does acting outside school in different productions and still does her Theatre HL ( She got accepted to top drama schools in New York).

Hope this helps.

PS: GO for 4 HL's. Don't overload work upon yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending