The Student Room Group

AQA AS Business Studies Unit 1 (19th May 2014)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Oh god I'm worried now looking at the maths answers. I think if you argued your figures well and justified them in context the last 15 marker would be lenient (hopefully). I got 24 for the variable cost, 54.5 for the total costs and completely ballsed up the break even chart but hopefully those 4 marks won't make much of a dent. I thought it could have been a lot worse, but I agree with others in that the paper was too maths based. Bearing this in mind, I think the paper would have alienated the weaker candidates in terms of maths ability from the stronger, significantly. Let's pray for low grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let me break down the last question!
First of all you need to find the Revenue made in 2015. Then you had to find the Variable cost and Fixed cost.
Revenue= 50 x 5000= $250,000
Variable cost= 20 x 110%= $22
Total Variable cost= $22 x 5000= 110,000
Fixed cost= 72,000-20,000= $52,000
Net Profit= 250,000-(110,000+52,000)= $88,000
So yes they would have achieved the business objective if Terence's predictions are correct!
Original post by NiceGDFL
Let me break down the last question!
First of all you need to find the Revenue made in 2015. Then you had to find the Variable cost and Fixed cost.
Revenue= 50 x 5000= $250,000
Variable cost= 20 x 110%= $22
Total Variable cost= $22 x 5000= 110,000
Fixed cost= 72,000-20,000= $52,000
Net Profit= 250,000-(110,000+52,000)= $88,000
So yes they would have achieved the business objective if Terence's predictions are correct!

Exactly what i got.
Reply 163
Fairly standard paper, very much doubt grade boundaries will be any lower.
An A last year for Buss 1 was 42/60 to give you an idea.
For calcs i got £24, 66.67% and £88,000
Was a final calculation necessary for the last question. it didn't state that it was, i wrote about how the variable costs will increase and the avg selling price will decrease, this would require more garments to be sold to break evn or hit their profit target, then i wrote how fixed costs being decreade by 20,000 would counteract this, aswell as the fact terrance guarenteed to sell 2000 more garments increasing sales revenue by 100,000 (50*2000) all this shows that they would reach their profit target but it depended on terrance following through on his statements (increase sales,decrease fixed costs) would that be alright if i didn't sum it up with a final profit value ???? like most people saying 88,000 i'm sure it is helpful but would i lose marks if i didn't ???
The last question was very calculation intensive and I pretty much spent 75% of the answer writing the calculations and explaining that they will be £3000 over their prediction of £85,000. I got £250,000 revenue and minused the variable cost (22£ x 5000 = 110,000) to get the contribution of £140,000. Then I minused the fixed cost to get £88k. I also mentioned factors such as the 'marketing and financial knowledge' provided by Terence will increase their chances of hitting the profit margin since Asha lacks these skill sets etc.

For the bank loan question the 2 points I put were:
1. No excessive interest repayments
2. She acquires the skills of Terence which wouldn't be the case with a loan

And for the "Primary research better than secondary research question" I generally put:
-It's obviously better because she gained specific, bespoke information as opposed to a magazine article where the information may not be 100% credible (albeit useful as it informed her that internet shopping is becoming more popular) etc

I messed up the break-even percentage calculation (I got something like 45.5% :/) so dropped 2-3 marks there.

Not worried though, I am resitting Business AS and I already aced Unit 1 last year, time to revise for unit 2 thats coming up :smile:

good luck all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by montytrower
Was a final calculation necessary for the last question. it didn't state that it was, i wrote about how the variable costs will increase and the avg selling price will decrease, this would require more garments to be sold to break evn or hit their profit target, then i wrote how fixed costs being decreade by 20,000 would counteract this, aswell as the fact terrance guarenteed to sell 2000 more garments increasing sales revenue by 100,000 (50*2000) all this shows that they would reach their profit target but it depended on terrance following through on his statements (increase sales,decrease fixed costs) would that be alright if i didn't sum it up with a final profit value ???? like most people saying 88,000 i'm sure it is helpful but would i lose marks if i didn't ???

I did this as well! I don't think we'll lose more than a couple of marks for application because it didn't specifically say work it out and we applied by saying about the 20,000 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
I am 90% sure that the fixed costs percentage was 54.5%, fixed costs divided by total costs equalled 54.5%. I also took into account the £20000 reduced fixed costs for the last question and thought the profit forecast was 66k, not sure though!
Original post by beckylouise1997
I did this as well! I don't think we'll lose more than a couple of marks for application because it didn't specifically say work it out and we applied by saying about the 20,000 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully :smile:
Original post by km1997
I am 90% sure that the fixed costs percentage was 54.5%, fixed costs divided by total costs equalled 54.5%. I also took into account the £20000 reduced fixed costs for the last question and thought the profit forecast was 66k, not sure though!

definitely wasn't 66k mate
It didnt say take it from the break even point it mentioned the break even chart...
Original post by OwennB
guy*:wink: Yeah it was alright i guess, ended up plotting the lines by basically going 20,000 down on each one. How about you? :smile:

ur a guy lool :/ and lool i see done the smee :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by 20142014
ur a guy lool :/ and lool i see done the smee :smile:

You know a girl called owen?
Original post by dan_jacko96
Aww thats a few marks dropped for you then :frown: Boo hoo...:rolleyes:

Again people only got confused the question was meant to throw you off and it did exactly that the percentage was 54.5% but honestly got to forget about that yes it was quite finance based but I'm sure the math people didn't have much problem with it.. got to focus on unit 2 now that's like 60% of the total marks so you know gotta forget about unit 1 what's done is done
Reply 174
Original post by montytrower

Fortunately they're really nice with carrying on marks, so you'd lose like 1-2 marks but thats it, they're really kind in that sense!
Ghvhbcdfgggggh
(edited 9 years ago)
It was a hard unit!
Original post by stressed123
im so scared for this exam i got an E and a U in my mock, the thing is my teacher is really bad and doesnt tell me what im doing wrong os i have no idea what to do...

i dont understand franchises and i find the contribution maths questions really hard!!

A year later I am in the same position-_- What did you end up getting in the end??

Quick Reply

Latest