The Student Room Group

Trig - cast method

What happens when you have something like sin(x) = 0 ? Where would you draw the lines if the angle is 0 degrees? Should the angles be in the positive or negative quadrants? How do i find the values of x

I know you can find them easily with the graph, but pls, man wants to know how to do it with this method. Safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The x represents your angle. When sin(x)=0 this is when the sin curve reaches the x axis (where y=0). This will be at angles of 0, 180, 360 degrees (and so on).
To visualise this, I would draw the sine curve. Looks at some introductory videos on trigonometry on YouTube!
The CAST method starts from the positive x axis at 0 degrees then goes anticlockwise with increase in x. Again videos allowing you to see it would help you out a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuantumSuicide
What happens when you have something like sin(x) = 0 ? Where would you draw the lines if the angle is 0 degrees? Should the angles be in the positive or negative quadrants? How do i find the values of x

I know you can find them easily with the graph, but pls, man wants to know how to do it with this method. Safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate if you don't know by now sin(x) = 0 at 0 180 360 540 ...... And 0 pi and 2pi radians...... You are doomed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, pls. All i would like to know is where and in which quadrants i would draw the lines for the angles, when an angle is 0 degrees.
Safe yo
:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Guys, pls. All i would like to know is where and in which quadrants i would draw the lines for the angles, when an angle is 0 degrees.
Safe yo
:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 2 answers to this that I can think of:

(i) CAST tells you in which regions sin, cos, tan etc are +ve or -ve. But 0 isn't +ve or -ve so CAST is irrelevant! Just remember that sin 0 = 0 and use the basic facts that sin(360 + x) = sin x and sin(180 - x) = sin x to get the other solutions.

(ii) CAST tells you in which regions sin, cos, tan etc are +ve or -ve. 0 isn't +ve or -ve, but in a sense it is both. In the C region sin is -ve but in the A region sin is +ve, To get from -ve to +ve you have to go through 0, so one line is the +ve x-axis which separates the C region from the A region.

In the A region sin is +ve and in the S region sin is +ve, so nothing to do here.

In the S region sin is +ve and in the T region sin is -ve. To get from +ve to -ve you have to go through 0. So you can draw another line separating the S region from the T region, i.e. the negative x-axis.

In the T region and C region sin is -ve, so there's nothing to do here.

So you've got your two lines which basically form the x-axis (0 degrees and 180 degrees, and multiples thereof). In other words, the lines aren't in a quadrant - they're the boundaries of quadrants!
Original post by davros
There are 2 answers to this that I can think of:

(i) CAST tells you in which regions sin, cos, tan etc are +ve or -ve. But 0 isn't +ve or -ve so CAST is irrelevant! Just remember that sin 0 = 0 and use the basic facts that sin(360 + x) = sin x and sin(180 - x) = sin x to get the other solutions.

(ii) CAST tells you in which regions sin, cos, tan etc are +ve or -ve. 0 isn't +ve or -ve, but in a sense it is both. In the C region sin is -ve but in the A region sin is +ve, To get from -ve to +ve you have to go through 0, so one line is the +ve x-axis which separates the C region from the A region.

In the A region sin is +ve and in the S region sin is +ve, so nothing to do here.

In the S region sin is +ve and in the T region sin is -ve. To get from +ve to -ve you have to go through 0. So you can draw another line separating the S region from the T region, i.e. the negative x-axis.

In the T region and C region sin is -ve, so there's nothing to do here.

So you've got your two lines which basically form the x-axis (0 degrees and 180 degrees, and multiples thereof). In other words, the lines aren't in a quadrant - they're the boundaries of quadrants!

Aah, i thought this was the case. This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks a lot for this post and thanks to all you folks that replied yo. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest