The Student Room Group

Motorists! Cyclist with a question.

Do you prefer a) a cyclist who rides with the traffic directly in front of you keeping up with the car in front at all times or b) a cyclist who cycles really slowly near the kerb at all times for you to overtake? I do a) wherever the speed limit allows. I feel that I am more visible and most importantly I'm treated like another motorist by the driver behind me. Only issue is that I don't have brake lights and this obviously is only possible on 20 - 30 mph limit roads.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
c) get off the road [x]
Reply 2
You should ride in the nearside third most of the time. Not right up against the kerb, but far enough over to allow motorists to safely overtake. The exceptions to this are if there is a hazard you need to avoid (e.g. a parked car or a pothole), you're about to turn right, or it would be dangerous for a motorist to overtake you at that particular moment.

Also when changing position, try and make it clear what your intention is beforehand, and give whoever's behind you enough time to react. A cyclist who moves about erratically is far more likely to cause an accident than one who doesn't, no matter where in the lane they choose to stick to.
Reply 3
Original post by Alphamed
c) get off the road [x]

Aw look here we have a baby throwing a tantrum because he can't deal with negotiating a slower road user.

Original post by Dez
You should ride in the nearside third most of the time. Not right up against the kerb, but far enough over to allow motorists to safely overtake. The exceptions to this are if there is a hazard you need to avoid (e.g. a parked car or a pothole), you're about to turn right, or it would be dangerous for a motorist to overtake you at that particular moment.

Also when changing position, try and make it clear what your intention is beforehand, and give whoever's behind you enough time to react. A cyclist who moves about erratically is far more likely to cause an accident than one who doesn't, no matter where in the lane they choose to stick to.

But what is wrong with just riding in the middle of the lane if I can keep up with the traffic? I am basically being a motorbike.
I always indicate when changing lane, pretty sure I'm the only cyclist who does this.
Reply 4
Original post by WGR
But what is wrong with just riding in the middle of the lane if I can keep up with the traffic? I am basically being a motorbike.
I always indicate when changing lane, pretty sure I'm the only cyclist who does this.

If traffic is slow-moving then it doesn't matter where you position yourself really. I was more talking about what to do when the road ahead is clear.
Reply 5
Stay near the kerb, just like if there was a cycle lane. You will never be treated like a motorist because your more likely to be unstable and not move in a straight path. You say 20-30 mph but unless your going 30mph consistently your holding up traffic , plus most motorists speed so your still holding up traffic even following the limit.

It might feel like going fast will be more helpful to traffic flow, but it end up slowing it down. Best to slow down and allow motorists to pass. It might slow down your journey slightly but you save other people much more time and frustration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Dez
If traffic is slow-moving then it doesn't matter where you position yourself really. I was more talking about what to do when the road ahead is clear.

Oh I see, If the road was clear and the limit was 30 mph I'd go to the side because I can't keep up 30 mph for more than a few seconds but if it was a clear road on a 20 mph limit road then I'd stay in the middle of the lane because I can easily keep ahead of a car doing 20 mph, I can cruise at like 24 mph if the conditions and road is good, I don't see why that would be a problem for the car behind me.

If you're wondering why I can't keep up at all when the cars are going just 6 mph faster that is because kinetic energy is proportional to the square of your speed so you need 4 times the power to simply double your speed
Reply 7
Original post by LazyGinge
Stay near the kerb, just like if there was a cycle lane. You will never be treated like a motorist because your more likely to be unstable and not move in a straight path. You say 20-30 mph but unless your going 30mph consistently your holding up traffic , plus most motorists speed so your still holding up traffic even following the limit.

It might feel like going fast will be more helpful to traffic flow, but it end up slowing it down. Best to slow down and allow motorists to pass. It might slow down your journey slightly but you save other people much more time and frustration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm completely stable. In fact I am more stable at higher speed which is another reason for not riding slowly in the kerb.
Maybe you're confused as to what I mean, On a 30 mph road I wouldn't go in the middle of the lane simply because as you said I can't consistently keep ahead of the car behind me, however from experience in London at least most of the time there's a closely bunched line of cars doing 25 or so mph on these 30 mph roads so I can generally ride in line with them for 2 minutes or so and as for 20 mph roads keeping ups is easy half the time I even outpace the car behind me.
Things work best when cyclists and motorists make a concerted effort to keep as much out of each other's way as possible.
Reply 9
Original post by WGR
Aw look here we have a baby throwing a tantrum because he can't deal with negotiating a slower road user.

That's a bit dramatic, huh? There should be rules against little girls whose hormones are out of whack using the road in any way at all.
Original post by WGR
Do you prefer a) a cyclist who rides with the traffic directly in front of you keeping up with the car in front at all times or b) a cyclist who cycles really slowly near the kerb at all times for you to overtake? I do a) wherever the speed limit allows. I feel that I am more visible and most importantly I'm treated like another motorist by the driver behind me. Only issue is that I don't have brake lights and this obviously is only possible on 20 - 30 mph limit roads.

Definitely a).

Also, the hatred towards cyclists is once again alive and well.
Why can you not ride at an acceptably fast speed toward the side of the road? There's nothing making you slow down when you move away from the middle towards the side. Tbh all you're doing by riding in the middle is adding fuel to the fire of cyclist hate. I highly doubt you can effectively keep up with traffic for a substantial period of time, especially as very few roads are 20mph, most being 30mph. Please keep to the edge and out of the way of cars.
Near side of the road especially if the car in question behind you is a low slung car.

Riding in the centre or towards the offside means you are essentially blocking the view of the brake lights of the car ahead of you and the car behind you may or may not be able to properly see you if you so happen to wear the same colour clothes as the car ahead of you.
Original post by Loat
In an urban environment a bike will be quicker than a car. Making it pointless to overtake a cyclist, even if they're doing just under 20.

But I get the MGIF mentality, I have it in the car as well.

That depends entirely on the time of day and where you're going in the city. I can flat out guarantee that I will be quicker in my car around Swansea than 99% of people would be on a bike at most times of day. It helps that, as a delivery driver, I know the back streets and can avoid congestion too. That aside, however, even if you can keep up with the flow of traffic, as a cyclist you'd be safer and more considerate to ride at the side of the road rather than in the middle, even if you could magically maintain 30mph.
Original post by Loat
Not willing to contradict you on the first part, I certainly don't know Swansea!

If the cyclist could maintain 30mph, it's not possible to overtake legally in most instances, so how are they being inconsiderate?

A cyclist is at their safest in the middle of the lane. It minimises contact with debris at the side of the road, avoids the door zone, gives time to react to pedestrians relying on hearing not sight and prevents dangerous overtakes. Naturally, holding the centre of the lane isn't necessary at all times and shouldn't be done unless the road presents specific hazards. However, they should still be at least 1m from the kerb, again for safety reasons.

Cycling in the gutter provokes dangerous situations constantly, and shouldn't be done.

I'm certainly not advocating that cyclists ride in the gutter, however, riding 1m from the curb is a very different place than in the middle of the lane. As a cyclist you should be as aware of everything around you as the driver of a car. If you miss road debris or ignore the body language of someone about to step out into the road, then that's kinda your own problem. I'd argue that drivers would be more willing to overtake in a dangerous manner if you're cycling in the middle of the road, than if you're cycling towards the edge. Many drivers will simply overtake if they want to overtake, and they won't care how far from the curb you are.

Being stuck behind roadies riding two or three abreast at 20-25mph on a NSL road is one of the most infuriating things imaginable, and they wonder why they get a lot of hate.
Reply 15
Original post by Nuffles
Why can you not ride at an acceptably fast speed toward the side of the road? There's nothing making you slow down when you move away from the middle towards the side. Tbh all you're doing by riding in the middle is adding fuel to the fire of cyclist hate. I highly doubt you can effectively keep up with traffic for a substantial period of time, especially as very few roads are 20mph, most being 30mph. Please keep to the edge and out of the way of cars.

Many roads are 20 mph in London.
If a moped did the exact same thing you would not bat an eyelid. You are basically saying I can't ride in the middle of the road just because I'm on a bicycle. I'f I'm keeping up with the traffic then what is the problem besides your strange belief that cyclists simply shouldn't be on the road?

Original post by Alfissti
Near side of the road especially if the car in question behind you is a low slung car.

Riding in the centre or towards the offside means you are essentially blocking the view of the brake lights of the car ahead of you and the car behind you may or may not be able to properly see you if you so happen to wear the same colour clothes as the car ahead of you.

Again, mopeds and motorbikes which have similar profiles to bicycles ride directly in line with cars and nobody cries about it. A cyclist would not block brake lights because cars are wider than bicycles. Also I have never seen a car painted fluorescent yellow. If you can't see that there is a cyclist directly in front of you you need to get your eyes checked.

Original post by Loat
In an urban environment a bike will be quicker than a car. Making it pointless to overtake a cyclist, even if they're doing just under 20.

But I get the MGIF mentality, I have it in the car as well.

Yep, I get overtaken by cars only for them to end up slowing me down not ten seconds later

Original post by Nuffles
That depends entirely on the time of day and where you're going in the city. I can flat out guarantee that I will be quicker in my car around Swansea than 99% of people would be on a bike at most times of day. It helps that, as a delivery driver, I know the back streets and can avoid congestion too. That aside, however, even if you can keep up with the flow of traffic, as a cyclist you'd be safer and more considerate to ride at the side of the road rather than in the middle, even if you could magically maintain 30mph.

Why? You ahve not given any convincing reason. I have given multiple reasons why the opposite is safer. More visible, away from kerb obstacles, Easier to change lanes if you have to turn off somewhere
It is irrelevant that you're faster than 99% of cyclists. I'm talking about me and I personally can keep up with the traffic sometimes. If you can't then yeah stay to the side but if you can I think it's safer to do so.
Maintaining 30mph is not magic, all you need is a hill. On a big enough hill I can even maintain 40mph for extended times. Riding to the side at 40 mph is just plain dangerous. Best to be in centre of the lane if you're going to be going that fast.

Original post by Nuffles
I'm certainly not advocating that cyclists ride in the gutter, however, riding 1m from the curb is a very different place than in the middle of the lane. As a cyclist you should be as aware of everything around you as the driver of a car. If you miss road debris or ignore the body language of someone about to step out into the road, then that's kinda your own problem. I'd argue that drivers would be more willing to overtake in a dangerous manner if you're cycling in the middle of the road, than if you're cycling towards the edge. Many drivers will simply overtake if they want to overtake, and they won't care how far from the curb you are.

Being stuck behind roadies riding two or three abreast at 20-25mph on a NSL road is one of the most infuriating things imaginable, and they wonder why they get a lot of hate.

I agree that's gay, I don't like it when my cycle club insists on formation riding on a damn A road.
Absolutely untrue, motorists put way way way way more effort into overtaking if you're in the middle of the lane. When you're at the side they barely bother to turn their steering wheel resulting in a lot of near misses. And as the other guy said, if the cyclist is following the speed limit then by overtaking you are breaking the law. Maybe I didn't make myself clear; provided that you are following the speed limit it is safer to stay in the middle of the lane. That's why I don't agree with my club constantly formation riding because most of the time we are doing less than the speed limit.
Original post by Nuffles

This time of year when the weather's nice I get clots of them wobbling up a NSL hill, 3 abreast with a double white line / blind summit stopping me overtaking.

motorists will want to overtake you even if you're doing the speed limit just because you're a bike - they don't want to risk get trapped behind you at junctions which you'll accelerate away from slowly or held back on uphills
Reply 17
In a car, I’d prefer you to cycle to the left, because when you’re in the middle of a lane and I’m following, It can be difficult to spot when you’re braking. It’s a bit worrying and I pay more attention, rightly so, but it would be less of a worry if you were to the left, and that would also provide more passing opportunities and allow me to give more room when passing. Even if you don’t brake harshly, other things could cause you to slow down considerably, like a bad flat or a rear lockup. If you HAVE to ride in the center, you’re perfectly entitled to do so, but it would be best to ride on the left if it doesn’t make difference. Less things to watch out for, less of an obstacle to get around, and less risk in the case of a mechanic failure.

Not driven a car for a while though, my main transportation is a motorbike, and so not really that bothered were you are when I’m riding. I’ll have a higher POV, will be able to see you clearly, and will be able to avoid on the drop of a pence if need be there will always be a viable gap in the same lane in case of emergencies so less of a worry for me. And I wouldn’t require much room in the oncoming lane to pass you, so passing opportunities aren’t hurt much at all.

I used to cycle quite a lot myself, and would stick to the left just because I didn’t want to get in the way of faster vehicles. That might sound rich coming from a motorist, but the reality is that many roads can be navigated at higher speed than legal, and it does happen. Speeding is illegal, but it wasn’t my job as a cyclist to stop it. On anything other than a steep downhill, I felt like I’d be a nuisance in the middle of the lane.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Joinedup
This time of year when the weather's nice I get clots of them wobbling up a NSL hill, 3 abreast with a double white line / blind summit stopping me overtaking.

motorists will want to overtake you even if you're doing the speed limit just because you're a bike - they don't want to risk get trapped behind you at junctions which you'll accelerate away from slowly or held back on uphills

Nothing wrong with slow acceleration, saves you fuel. Obviously cyclists who wobble off at 1 inch per hour isn't cool but my accelleration is perfectly normal, I don't see why some motorists feel the need to blast off like a rocket in a 30 zone with traffic.

If there was an uphill I would get out of the way.
Reply 19
Original post by Ohmz27
In a car, I’d prefer you to cycle to the left, because when you’re in the middle of a lane and I’m following, It can be difficult to spot when you’re braking. It’s a bit worrying and I pay more attention, rightly so, but it would be less of a worry if you were to the left, and that would also provide more passing opportunities and allow me to give more room when passing. Even if you don’t brake harshly, other things could cause you to slow down considerably, like a bad flat or a rear lockup. If you HAVE to ride in the center, you’re perfectly entitled to do so, but it would be best to ride on the left if it doesn’t make difference. Less things to watch out for, less of an obstacle to get around, and less risk in the case of a mechanic failure.

Not driven a car for a while though, my main transportation is a motorbike, and so not really that bothered were you are when I’m riding. I’ll have a higher POV, will be able to see you clearly, and will be able to avoid on the drop of a pence if need be there will always be a viable gap in the same lane in case of emergencies so less of a worry for me. And I wouldn’t require much room in the oncoming lane to pass you, so passing opportunities aren’t hurt much at all.

I used to cycle quite a lot myself, and would stick to the left just because I didn’t want to get in the way of faster vehicles. That might sound rich coming from a motorist, but the reality is that many roads can be navigated at higher speed than legal, and it does happen. Speeding is illegal, but it wasn’t my job as a cyclist to stop it. On anything other than a steep downhill, I felt like I’d be a nuisance in the middle of the lane.

I agree with you this is my only worry that I have no brake lights. I have noticed that if I'm doing 30 in lane the car behind does hang back quite a distance, maybe they're scared? I generally ride to the left but I ride in the centre if a) I need to discourage an unsafe overtake b) if I'm on a 20 mph road c) If I'm on a 30 mph road and the traffic is slow as hell or d) If I'm on a 30 road but going really fast like 35 + mph. In cases b) and c) the fact that I have no brake lights isn't a massive issue because of the slow speed and in d) I just can't safely stay to the left at that speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending