The Student Room Group

Maths at Bristol or Computer Science at UCL, can't decide!

I've always liked doing maths in school and it has definitely been my strongest subject. I didn't do further maths at A-level which sorta makes me an outsider as I wouldn't know if I would like doing all that Maths.

Regarding CS I don't have much experience programming. I did do a short year in industry course working for a thermostat making company which I didn't find that interesting to be honest, probably because I didn't have the programming skills to get properly engaged. Computers however do interest me, but I think its more of a personal hobby rather than a study path. I also fear that a degree in CS will narrow down job opportunities to specific types of jobs, all programming related.

So basically I can't decide between the two atm, and I'd rather do one or the other. My mum wants me to do CS because UCL is a great uni and is close to home. I'm not sure because movies like 'Good Will Hunting' and 'A Beautiful Mind' are an inspiration for me to do Maths. At the end of the day I want to do a course I will love regardless where I do it.

Any tips, suggestions or experiences will be appreciated!
Reply 1
Bump!!!
I think Computer science at UCL
Reply 3
What about accepting the Maths offer and asking to swap to BSc Mathematics and Computer Science when you've started?
My main advice is to study what you most enjoy. However, having said that, it's always a good idea to keep career prospects in mind. A degree in CS won't just limit you to programming jobs and it's considered by many to be just as demanding as other technical or scientific degrees. You're still able to go into professions such as accounting, actuary or banking - like you'd be able to do with a maths degree. IMO studying at UCL in London will open more opportunities to you - they do a year abroad I believe and also help setting you up with work experience.
If you're set on doing maths, i'd swap to the BSc in Computer Science and Mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending