The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Lets just say they certainly won't be requiring benefits from their destination country.

Rubbish: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10392257/Thousands-of-Britons-claim-dole-in-Germany.html

It works both ways.
Have you looked at the type of people leaving the UK? Lets just say they certainly won't be requiring benefits from their destination country.

So we swap wealthy Brits for uneducated Eastern European immigrants. Greaaaaaaaaaat!

I'd rather have hard working immigrants (from wherever) than people like you in Britain.
Original post by Dez
Meanwhile, 320,000 people emigrated over the same period, meaning our net workforce has barely changed at all, at least excluding death/retirement/etc.

Stay classy, UKIP.

This is a good thing?
We're witnessing the destruction of the UK's indigenous population.
Original post by SilverAlex
This is a good thing?

There's no such thing.
Original post by SilverAlex
This is a good thing?

What InnerTemple said.

Funny how you made a similar post on the Subway Halal meat thread and didn't reply when I and someone else called you out on it.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I'd rather have hard working immigrants (from wherever) than people like you in Britain.

People like me..... who point out the obvious?

Please answer this: would you pay lots of money to fly to New York just to buy some bread, when you have a shop down the road?

No?

Then why "import" low-skilled immigrants when we have plenty of unemployed low-skilled British workers?

Yes they may be hard-working but guess what? The amount they contribute in income tax (approximately £900 for minimum wage job) isn't exactly going to cover the cost of the extra:

-Schools
-Hospitals
-Housing
-Doctors
-Dentists
-Power
-Water
-Transport
-Social benefits (Unemployed British people or immigrants who lose their jobs)

So I'll ask again, what exactly is the point in "importing" low-skilled labour which will costs us waaaaaay more than they will contribute?
(edited 9 years ago)

More than 10,000 Britons are claiming unemployment benefit in Germany

How many non-British do you reckon are claiming in the UK? I'll give you a clue, its at least another magnitude larger than 10,000.....
Why "import" low-skilled immigrants when we have plenty of unemployed low-skilled British workers?
To fill labour gaps in industries that British workers are either unable or unwilling to work/meet supply in.

billydisco

Yes they may be hard-working but guess what? The amount they contribute in income tax (approximately £900 for minimum wage job) isn't exactly going to cover the cost of the extra:

-Schools
-Hospitals
-Housing
-Doctors
-Dentists
-Power
-Water
-Transport
-Social benefits (Unemployed British people or immigrants who lose their jobs)

Wrong.
"
The contribution of recent (post-1999) immigrants to the UK fiscal system has been consistently positive and astonishingly strong. Between 2001 and 2011, those recent EEA immigrants contributed to the fiscal system 34% more than they took out, with a net fiscal contribution of about 22.1 billion GBP. At the same time recent immigrants from non-EEA countries made a net fiscal contribution of 2.9 billion GBP, thus paying in the system about 2% more than they took out. In contrast, over the same period, natives’ fiscal payments amounted to 89% of the amount of transfers they received, or an overall negative fiscal contribution of 624.1 billion GBP. The net fiscal balance of overall immigration to the UK between 2001 and 2011 amounts therefore to a positive net contribution of about 25 billion GBP, over a period over which the UK has run an overall budget deficit."
How many non-British do you reckon are claiming in the UK? I'll give you a clue, its at least another magnitude larger than 10,000.....

And your point is?
To fill labour gaps in industries that British workers are either unable or unwilling to work/meet supply in.

Wrong.

Reduce/remove benefits from them- simple?
Original post by kemosabe234
Seems like this billydisco kid is an avid Daily Mail reader.

I don't read the Daily Mail.....

Seems like you're somebody who knows when they're beat and has to use the "Daily Mail" line. Diddums. Want a chance to debate properly?
And your point is?

What do you think my point is? 10,000 Brits claim benefits in Germany whilst about 200,000 EU citizens claim benefits in the UK! Kinda kills the argument of the person posting the link.
I'm u
I don't read the Daily Mail.....

Seems like you're somebody who knows when they're beat and has to use the "Daily Mail" line. Diddums. Want a chance to debate properly?

I'm up for it, I was reading your previous comments and assumed you were a Daily Mail reader based on your preposterous prejudicial claims. The fact of the matter is, you have failed to distinguish between two types of immigrants. Those who come seeking a better quality of life and others who come to exploit the benefit system and subsequently have "an easier life".

If you made this distinction I would have agreed with what you have said, but you have encapsulated and branded all types of immigrants.
x

Funny how you claimed that immigrants had a net negative effect on the UK economy and when I showed you evidence that suggested you were categorically mistaken you ignored it.

I'll repeat it for your benefit: recent EEA immigrants contribute 34% more to the economy than they take out, and immigrants have contributed a net figure of £25 billion from 2001-2011, a period of time where the UK has run an overall budget deficit.

I'd love to hear your response to this after you initially claimed that immigrants have a net negative effect on the economy.
What do you think my point is? 10,000 Brits claim benefits in Germany whilst about 200,000 EU citizens claim benefits in the UK! Kinda kills the argument of the person posting the link.

The person who posted this link has no argument. He/She has just spouted out a fact - I see no argument. I see your argument which lacks clarity, what are you trying to tell me by giving me a statistic?
Funny how you claimed that immigrants had a net negative effect on the UK economy and when I showed you evidence that suggested you were categorically mistaken you ignored it.

I'll repeat it for your benefit: recent EEA immigrants contribute 34% more to the economy than they take out, and immigrants have contributed a net figure of £25 billion from 2001-2011, a period of time where the UK has run an overall budget deficit.

I'd love to hear your response to this after you initially claimed that immigrants have a net negative effect on the economy.

Actually I was going to edit my post or post a new one.

The report/numbers you provided- how do I know that infrastructure has been built to cater for extra immigration when the numbers were calculated? In other words- if Government were too stupid to build more schools at the time the report was written then yes immigrants wouldnt have cost the country money! If the day after the report is published the Government says "Oh gee- you know what? We need to build more schools" guess what? The figures would be a LOT different.

Have you ever seen a London primary school? They don't have playgrounds now because its effectively a plastic prefabrication storage area and the kids are taught in the pre-fab huts! Guess what? These children aren't English :wink:

Here's a two simple questions:

-Do the majority of low-skilled workers earn the minimum wage?
-Do low-skilled workers require power, electricity, healthcare, housing, transport, dentists, doctors etc?

Answers are Yes and Yes- and unless you're living in a dream world, its clear to anyone numerate immigrants do not pay for the extra infrastructure. What about the increases in rent they cause? The suppression of wages? British people wanting to work who are on benefits because jobs were advertised in Romania but not the UK?

So I'll ask again- what is the point of importing unskilled people when we can force British people to do the same jobs and lower the benefit bill?
(edited 9 years ago)
The person who posted this link has no argument. He/She has just spouted out a fact - I see no argument. I see your argument which lacks clarity, what are you trying to tell me by giving me a statistic?

The person posts a link saying British people claim benefits in Germany and you claim they are not trying to make an argument? They werent trying to say "British people claim benefits abroad so foreigners should be allowed to claim here"? :rolleyes:
The person posts a link saying British people claim benefits in Germany and you claim they are not trying to make an argument? They werent trying to say "British people claim benefits abroad so foreigners should be allowed to claim here"? :rolleyes:

You quoted that last bit right? Show me where you got it from.

No it doesn't.

The point made was that British people who move to other EU countries will not claim benefits. My argument is that this claim is rubbish.

The link I posted gave an example of one group of benefit claimants in one EU country. There will be others.

When you consider the above, it kind of kills your feeble argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Green Marble
Rise in part time working maybe ? Rise in zero hour contracts etc ??

Got it in one. But what do you think UKIP will do to reverse abuses of workers' rights?

Nothing. They are an ultra-Tory party on the economy. Abuse of workers would go into overdrive under UKIP.

They hope to withdraw from European institutions so they can scrap legislation that follows ECHR directives on equalities, human rights and workers' rights.

Latest

Trending

Trending