The Student Room Group

Why are south asians under represented at the top level in football?

Scroll to see replies

It's just a cultural thing as other people have pointed out, not every country in the world has football as its national sport. Most top players tend to come from Europe or South America where football is the number one thing. No race or nationality is under or over represented because there's no expectation from anybody sane at least that we should have a fair range of equal nations represented.

First the thread about African players, now South Asians. If anyone's thinking of asking why North Americans are underrepresented I'll answer that one for you now too ... thy have their own sports
Reply 41
It's changing now. Previously when Asians came to the country they were starting from the bottom, they had to work long shifts, multiple jobs etc. and had no time for leisurely activities. Now however there are a lot more people with time to play sports, and I've seen some seriously talented players myself. There'll be one in the next 10 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
f o o t b a l l?

That's a funny way of spelling cricket and/or medicine

lol I love that show
Original post by Wilfred Little
I hope we can be the first to field a successful British Asian player who goes on to represent our national team.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/18/aston-villa-easah-suliman-england-asian-footballers

Even at the tender age of 17, Easah Suliman is already used to all the attention. The Aston Villa central defender has just returned from the Under-17 World Cup in South America having played every minute as England went home with only one point from their three group stage matches.

Two years ago the teenager from Moseley in Birmingham became the first player with Pakistani heritage to captain an England team and he signed his first professional contract in January amid reported interest from Bayern Munich and Arsenal.

Go on Easah :cool:
I guess they're just not good enough.

I know lots of Pakistanis who play football, but they only seem to play 5 a side matches with friends, or in small 5 a side leagues.

I play with some of them and I know they do like football.

Also maybe some don't want to join teams with non-muslims because they know a lot of players will go out drinking, etc. and they won't be able to take part in it so they might feel left out.

Just a guess
Reply 46

That's a cracking piece. Good to hear he's friends with Moeen.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
lol I love that show

I was just about to comment this same thing, and realised I already did. Over a year ago. Nice thread bump!
There's another upcoming guy called Adil Nabi, but he's currently on loan in India.

Quick Reply

Latest