The Student Room Group

What do YOU think will make the Motoring sub-forum better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd like to see Jus d'orange and traintracks unbanned too...
They are both prats but they are entertaining! :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by james1211
Too many bullies who shout down anyone with a lesser knowlege about motoring. I have kept away from this part of the forum because of the arguing and petty bickering that goes on.

It's pretty tame on here compared to most dedicated automotive forums.

There is certainly something in what you say, but on the other hand, if someone posts up advice that is blatantly dangerous then it needs addressing as let's be honest, playing about with cars can and does get people killed.

As an example; a few years back I was hunting on a Vauxhall forum for some info on a corsa B cambelt I was doing. I came across a thread on there where some idiot was advocating fitting some spotlights by, and I kid you not, Sellotaping wires to battery terminals. This thread had been unbelievably set as a sticky. Given that stickys are supposed to be important threads which highlight to frequent users or newbies information they would really appreciate it seems a bit stupid that including a sure thing to start an engine bay fire would be included so prominently.

The great thing about the internet is that everyone can have an opinion. Unfortunately, the trouble with that is not all opinions are equal, particularly on subjects such as car maintenance.
Original post by JC.
I'd like to see Jus d'orange and traintracks unbanned too...
They are both prats but they are entertaining! :wink:

Tbh i didn't mind them. The only reason they were banned was because they were both old perm banned members which have earnt perm bans.

Original post by JC.
It's pretty tame on here compared to most dedicated automotive forums.

There is certainly something in what you say, but on the other hand, if someone posts up advice that is blatantly dangerous then it needs addressing as let's be honest, playing about with cars can and does get people killed.

As an example; a few years back I was hunting on a Vauxhall forum for some info on a corsa B cambelt I was doing. I came across a thread on there where some idiot was advocating fitting some spotlights by, and I kid you not, Sellotaping wires to battery terminals. This thread had been unbelievably set as a sticky. Given that stickys are supposed to be important threads which highlight to frequent users or newbies information they would really appreciate it seems a bit stupid that including a sure thing to start an engine bay fire would be included so prominently.

The great thing about the internet is that everyone can have an opinion. Unfortunately, the trouble with that is not all opinions are equal, particularly on subjects such as car maintenance.

The good thing about that here is 1, i would never sticky something so stupid. 2. If someone did post up something that everyone else would tell them it was stupid and if the advice was that dangerous we'd probably bin it or edit it.
Reply 23
To be honest I think with the general users of this forum motoring is always going to be somewhat limited in scope. I've always had vastly more success seeking advice or information on more type specific forums. It could be rather ambitious to hope for more than people looking to argue about learning to drive or rig a cheap insurance quote. I just pop by occasionally out of habit.
Reply 24
Motorbiker

Think the emoticon means you have stupid newbie drivers giving poor advice to other stupid newbie drivers and ignoring the better advice of the more experienced drivers. Maybe.
I dislike the ditto smilie.

I also think that :withstupid: is less used so people therefore take more notice and read my post - and it's also somewhat ironic as my views are usually not the same as most members

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Juno
I dislike the ditto smilie.

I also think that :withstupid: is less used so people therefore take more notice and read my post - and it's also somewhat ironic as my views are usually not the same as most members

Posted from TSR Mobile

... that's mostly 'cause you're nuts! :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by JC.
... that's mostly 'cause you're nuts! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27

in a good way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending