The Student Room Group

2015 Entry: **Dental Hygiene and Therapy Discussion**

Who's applying to study Dental Hygiene and Therapy (DHT) this year for 2015 entry?

What's your background and which universities will you apply to? :smile:

Feel free to discuss any DHT admissions related issues for 2015 entry in this thread.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am applying for sheffield for 2015 intake!
Where are u applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi!
I'm a mature student (32) with the correct academic qualifications plus a degree, qualified teacher status and many years teaching experience. I don't have any experience working as a dental nurse, but I am currently doing work experience with a hygienist and am in the process of arranging more experience. I have to fit in work experience around my two very young children and do not have any family near by who can help with childcare so that does significantly limit the amount of free time I have available to gain experience when my husband (who works full time) is able to look after the children.

How many weeks / days work experience do you think I realistically need to gain to have a chance of getting offered an interview? Obviously I'm going to arrange as much as possible, but it would be helpful to have an idea of what is deemed an acceptable amount of experience, if you see what I mean?

Many thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by kirsty4586
I am applying for sheffield for 2015 intake!
Where are u applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, I am also applying at the same uni, however the application hand in date is sept 28. I am really confused about how the process needs to be carried out.
Im applying to teeside university to do dental hygiene and therapy for 2015 entry! I'm a dental nurse, have been doing this for 2 years, have B's and C's in GCSE and starting an oral health education course in September! What is your background?
Original post by Muzill
hey, I am also applying at the same uni, however the application hand in date is sept 28. I am really confused about how the process needs to be carried out.

Just saw your reply, application deadline in September and then interviews take place in November and if accepted u start in the April how you getting on with your application form? Think I have nearly done mine n ready to send soon eek!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Anyone applying for mandcp?
Reply 7
Hi!
I'm a 22 year old dental nurse with 6 years experience. I have more than 5 GCSE's double science, NEBDN national qualified, fluoride application competent and have just this Saturday sat my Oral Health exam. I've wanted to apply for so long and finally applied! How ever I'm worried as most places want an A Level in biology and I don't have that, infact I got rather a rude email from Leeds and Bristol saying don't even bother applying. I've applied for Liverpool, Teeside, Newcastle, Essex, Birmingham. All of those choices said they would consider my application with out the A Level barring Birmingham just applying and hope for the best!

Do you think I have enough to apply? Most university's requirements are becoming more A Level based in upset that Leeds disregarded all of my experience and the other qualification I've got off my own back because I didn't so biology! Anyway let me know how you all get on! And can you let me know if there are any other uni's that will consider applications without A levels
Reply 8
Most that are oferring the diploma rather than the degree will take dental nursing and either one or two post qualifications instead of the A level in biology. Sheffield, Liverpool,msdcp, and others do the diploma
Reply 9
Has anyone applied to sheffield for 2015 intake?
Reply 10
Original post by Darcy007
Has anyone applied to sheffield for 2015 intake?

Yeag I sent mine off today
Reply 11
Original post by stasia
Yeag I sent mine off today

What experience do you have? And what qualifications? Have you applied for anywhere else? X
Reply 12
I have applied for Sheffield and leeds! I have a mixed bag of qualifications so really not sure what theyll think of me. 4 A-levels (none science but one english) 9 years dental nursing, radiography, implants and several modules at level 4 in post qualifying dental nursing practice. I just decided to give it a go and see what comes of it. So nervous though!! Have a place on OHE starting in feb as a back up plan to re apply next year. I have heard that Sheffield and Leeds are very specific so im not sure if i will tick enough boxes. has anyone else heard similar?
I have applied for Sheffield, I have 10+ years in dental nursing, radiography, Oral Health Education, sedation qualifications, I haven't got the right GCSE's required but I have applied and hoping for the best, just started doing my maths GCSE so if unsuccessful then I will reapply next year - anyone know when we will hear about interviews? its so nerve wracking!!!
Reply 14
I would imagine your dental experience and post qualifications would count for more at this stage Kirsty. I think I read somewhere that they will get back to people by the 2nd week in October but can't seem to find it now so might have dreamt it. So nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrie31
I would imagine your dental experience and post qualifications would count for more at this stage Kirsty. I think I read somewhere that they will get back to people by the 2nd week in October but can't seem to find it now so might have dreamt it. So nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope they do, but sometimes ive heard they dont even look at your application if you dont possess the minimum academic requirements. So i dunno!!! ~Yeah I thought that too, but last year was a lot later than they anticipated with the amount of applications they had. Good luck to you and all that have applied. we can be nervous together. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by kirsty4586
I hope they do, but sometimes ive heard they dont even look at your application if you dont possess the minimum academic requirements. So i dunno!!! ~Yeah I thought that too, but last year was a lot later than they anticipated with the amount of applications they had. Good luck to you and all that have applied. we can be nervous together. :smile:

Good luck to you all too. I did find the application form for Sheffield quite limiting, only being able to answer specific questions. I feel if I got an interview I would be able to sell myself much better. (Just need the interview!!!!) I just hope they take everything into consideration and not simply dismiss people because of entry requirements not being met. I made the mistake of not knowing what I wanted to do at 16 and chose a-levels that aren't particularly useful now. I just hope that everything I have done since then and my experience counts for something! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrie31
Good luck to you all too. I did find the application form for Sheffield quite limiting, only being able to answer specific questions. I feel if I got an interview I would be able to sell myself much better. (Just need the interview!!!!) I just hope they take everything into consideration and not simply dismiss people because of entry requirements not being met. I made the mistake of not knowing what I wanted to do at 16 and chose a-levels that aren't particularly useful now. I just hope that everything I have done since then and my experience counts for something! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I thought that too, the year before you did a personal statement which s obviously alot easier to sell yourself.
Yep, I think 16 is too young to actually know what you want to do anyway, I made the mistake of doing a GNVQ instead of A Levels - big mistake really wish i would of done A levels. Nevermind, hindsight n all that!! lol x
I applied to Sheffield 2015. I have the appropriate GCSE's and a levels which are not suitable for the requirements.
I am a dental nurse with over 4 years experience. I have a radiography qualification and in the middle
Of completing my oral health qualification. Unfortunately I failed my OHE exam and worried now that I won't be considered as my resit isn't until beginning of December.
Gutted that my exam may result in me having to wait another year!
I may apply to Liverpool
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mel.wiltshire
I applied to Sheffield 2015. I have the appropriate GCSE's and a levels which are not suitable for the requirements.
I am a dental nurse with over 4 years experience. I have a radiography qualification and in the middle
Of completing my oral health qualification. Unfortunately I failed my OHE exam and worried now that I won't be considered as my resit isn't until beginning of December.
Gutted that my exam may result in me having to wait another year!
I may apply to Liverpool if I don't get in at Sheffield but Sheffield is the only dental school I love and ticks all the boxes!

They might consider you, pending results of your OHE exam!?! I hope they do for you but with it being so competitive I don't know whether they would do that?!
Good luck anyway!
Has anyone heard anything yet?! its stressing me out waiting for a bloody letter!! lol xx

Quick Reply

Latest