The Student Room Group

2015 Entry: **Dental Hygiene and Therapy Discussion**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not heard anything yet, trying to put it out of my mind but it's there constantly!! I keep trying to tell myself that it won't matter if I don't get in this time round and I can keep trying but I know I will be disappointed if I'm not successful. This waiting is torture! One thing I am being hopeful of is the fact that most of us on here don't strictly fit the criteria they are asking for,which I hope means that we represent the majority of type of people who are applying... (A bit of a mixed bag but lots of experience and skills!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Starting to get even more nervous than I thought was possible waiting!!!! Hopefully this coming week is the week!!!!!! Hope to hear all ur results sometime this week xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Hope so too, good luck to everyone who has applied xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Any one got a letter from Sheffield today?
Reply 24
Original post by moorehen
Any one got a letter from Sheffield today?

Nope! Nothing as yet!!! did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Nope I really hope it is tomorrow!
As soon as people get their post tomorrow will they put on here if they get their letter lol. My post comes sooo late!! So nervous!!
Reply 27
Original post by shannon89
As soon as people get their post tomorrow will they put on here if they get their letter lol. My post comes sooo late!! So nervous!!

I'm working 8.30 - 8.30 tomorrow so if it comes I will have a pretty long wait 😁 it can't be much longer than next week surely because the interviews are mid November aren't they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What univerities have you all applied to ?
Also where did you guys manage to find work experience I've been searching for weeks still no luck :frown:
I had emailed them and they said no later than end of October, but wouldn't give me an exact date but surely they need to give us some notice I need to book a day off work if it falls on one of my days at work if I get a interview stressing me out thinking about it now!!! Jeeze!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Oh really. I thought it would be this week. I have a letter which says mid october...:mad: Its fustrating waiting now! X
Any post yet guys?? X
Reply 32
No, I think it will come next week now :frown:
Nothing 😞 oh dear!! Probably not b till end of next week now I bet! So frustrating waiting!!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im a lad, applying for newcastle, teeside, birmingham, glasgow, dundee via ucas, and then Liverpool and leeds through direct entry. i am only 17 and do a levels in biology, applied science, and textiles. my AS grades were ABB (B in biology) and i have 3 weeks of full time experience all which was arranged on my own. i am soooo nervous and everyone seems to have a lot of experience so i probably won't get in and a lot of yous seem older than me :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by robbieeeeeeeeee
Im a lad, applying for newcastle, teeside, birmingham, glasgow, dundee via ucas, and then Liverpool and leeds through direct entry. i am only 17 and do a levels in biology, applied science, and textiles. my AS grades were ABB (B in biology) and i have 3 weeks of full time experience all which was arranged on my own. i am soooo nervous and everyone seems to have a lot of experience so i probably won't get in and a lot of yous seem older than me :frown:

It is a very competitive course and I think whether it's experience and skills or a- level qualifications, it's tough for us all. I suppose it's hard trying to arrange enough experience too, but my advice would be to try and get as much as you can. There is so much to learn about dentistry that can't be taught in a classroom. Your grades are good so I think you probably stand a very good chance but try to get even more experience. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrie31
It is a very competitive course and I think whether it's experience and skills or a- level qualifications, it's tough for us all. I suppose it's hard trying to arrange enough experience too, but my advice would be to try and get as much as you can. There is so much to learn about dentistry that can't be taught in a classroom. Your grades are good so I think you probably stand a very good chance but try to get even more experience. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks im going to try get experience with an orthodontic therapist
Original post by Hyg&Ther
To the non-dental nurses, what did you use as your example for manual dexterity?

Textiles for hand emboidery and sewing
Reply 38
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for 2015 entry for DH&DT.

Missed the Sheffield deadline! I thought it was all done on ucas :/

Lesson learnt...I know Liverpool also is a 'manual' application, deadline 31 December (I think?)

Haven't sent in ucas yet but I've filled it in ready just need my 5 choices. I am thinking Portsmouth, Newcastle, Cardiff...so far. And Liverpool as a 'manual' application.

I am 24, male, did Access to HE in Dent, Phar, Med Sci at the Manchester College a year ago and passed with 36 credits at distinction, and 15 at merit. Had previously done 3 weeks work exp before that course, and this year have started the dental nursing apprenticeship at a practice, so by this time next year, I'd have 12 months work exp, plus the level 3 dental nursing diploma, if I pass!

Struggling with the idea of being in a female dominated course, but this work is precisely what I have wanted for many years so I'll reapply again if unsuccessful this year. Last year I didn't apply for financial reasons.

I think what I've got is competitive enough to make the application, apart from Newcastle which has changed their course this year and now you require ALL distinctions for Access...but going to apply there anyway as it is my favourite choice.

Manual dexterity, I play the guitar...I hope they don't expect me to take that with me if I am lucky enough to get interviews.

I hope you all get what you want, it's a tough application from what I've learnt so far, but well worth the stress and effort in the long run.

Good luck to you all. :smile:
Reply 39
Hi all,
I'm currently taking A levels in Biology, English Literature and Spanish. I've also been predicted ABB, however I have work experience with dentists and hygienists but not with any dental therapists. Would this make my application weaker?

Quick Reply

Latest