The Student Room Group

A2 AQA History - HISTORIOGRAPHY

Do we have to include historiography in are answers?

My teacher hasn't mentioned this in lessons but from reading a few different threads on here it seems the general consensus is we HAVE to include historical interpretations to get above a level 2.

If so, I have been getting 35-40/45 in mock essays in class without including any historians' views in them.

My teacher is pretty apathetic and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this escaped her.

So, do we need historiography?

NEED TO KNOW ASAP! :O
We were told at my school that historiography was basically the whole course.

Each paragraph should begin with a judgement in a sentence. Explain using examples. Acknowledge the other view with examples and knock it down to prove your argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ChristineE96
We were told at my school that historiography was basically the whole course.

Each paragraph should begin with a judgement in a sentence. Explain using examples. Acknowledge the other view with examples and knock it down to prove your argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seem to have confused the matter with the use of the word "historiography". Apologies :colondollar:

I understand that I need to make a judgement on, for example, Thatcher was a good PM or not. I was wondering if it's necessary to add in, for instance, Andrew Marr's view of Thatcher's tenure, etc?

I found this on AQA's examiner report:
In the light of some of the essays seen this summer, it might be apposite to reiterate AQA's stanceon historiography at A2. Whilst it is expected that A2 students are introduced to relevant debateson issues of interpretation, awareness of specific historians' names or quotations should never beseen as essential for a good essay nor are they, in themselves, indicators of high quality work.Some students in this unit were unduly obsessed by historiography and felt the need to qualifyevery view with a specific historian's name. The result was that many historians were misquoted,little distinction was made between academic and text-book writers and students ran the risk ofdescribing the views of others, rather than advancing an argument of their own. Judiciously used,the views of historians can indeed be used to support an argument, or provide material tochallenge, and thus enhance an essay. However, reliance on a series of pre-prepared statementsof 'views' and memorised quotations was a sure step towards poorer quality work.

---

Does that mean I'm fine not mentioning historians' opinions on various events?
Basically keep the historiography (the debate) in there but dont mention specific historians' names. You need to know what the differe t views/arguments are but dont worry about learning quotes, focus on the evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ChristineE96
Basically keep the historiography (the debate) in there but dont mention specific historians' names. You need to know what the differe t views/arguments are but dont worry about learning quotes, focus on the evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info! :smile:
Welcome :smile: im happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending