The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Firmers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mayav95
Ah courses where economics is a major part tend to have higher requirements. It's one of the reasons I didn't go for anything like straight economics (well that and i wouldn't be able to handle that much economics) :/ What are you predicted?

Yeah its a pain! But I am applying through UCAS extra, and so I had ABB predictions but I could quite easily get my school to predict me AAB and then I can get away with ABB. Or I could apply with predictions of ABB and then hopefully get an offer for that and then I may be able to get in with BBB.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Firmed for IR and politics :smile: already excited to go there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by mallinder
Yeah its a pain! But I am applying through UCAS extra, and so I had ABB predictions but I could quite easily get my school to predict me AAB and then I can get away with ABB. Or I could apply with predictions of ABB and then hopefully get an offer for that and then I may be able to get in with BBB.

I don't see why not, I applied with ABC predicted. They will probably still offer you AAB regardless of prediction, but i guess it wouldn't hurt to get your school to change the prediction (can they do that at this stage though?). You could still be fine if you fall a grade short of the offer, depending on course size/competition. Last year a lot of people I know missed out on a grade and still got accepted into their unis.
How fast is the internet connection? Are you allowed to use torrent sites?
Original post by NarutoUchiha
How fast is the internet connection? Are you allowed to use torrent sites?

It varies, when not many other people are using it it's about 40mbps (for me personally although I've heard of people in main Endcliffe getting 100mbps), when loads of people are using it I get about 12mbps.

Torrents get throttled severely to a couple of KBps but if you do other things like watching youtube and just generally using the internet the throttling will lift after an hour or so and it'll download at normal speed.
Original post by Helloworld_95
It varies, when not many other people are using it it's about 40mbps (for me personally although I've heard of people in main Endcliffe getting 100mbps), when loads of people are using it I get about 12mbps.

Torrents get throttled severely to a couple of KBps but if you do other things like watching youtube and just generally using the internet the throttling will lift after an hour or so and it'll download at normal speed.

Thank you, do they like monitor your sites, monitor what you download?
Reply 46
Hi, I have firmed Sheffield to do BA Economics. I have to get AAB but am currently thinking I am far more likely to get BBB. Does anyone know of anybody who has been accepted with these grades/two grades below the entry requirements? :smile:
Thank you, do they like monitor your sites, monitor what you download?

No, not from what I can tell
Original post by tomwatts23
Firmed politics! Can't wait to get started, especially after the article in The Guardian today! :biggrin:

I also firmed IR and politics ! Could you send me the link for tha guardian article ? :biggrin:
Hey all the politics firmiers, what about creating a Facebook group ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I've firmed Sheffield for BA Business Management and Economics.

But I'm considering switching to straight BA Economics, providing that I get a strong A in my economics exam results. Does anyone know how flexible Sheffield are when it comes to changing courses? And what does the process involve? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helloworld_95
No, not from what I can tell

Thank youuuu, my final question is, can you receive parcels from like amazon and places if you're at endcliffe?
I've firmed architecture and I've got an unconditional offer so I'm definitely coming! And I've applied for Endcliffe! SO EXCITED!!!
Thank youuuu, my final question is, can you receive parcels from like amazon and places if you're at endcliffe?

I'm in the Stephenson Hall part of Endcliffe where the rules are different, we get our parcels sent to the Edge and then get a note in our post box saying to come get it from them. I'd guess that in main Endcliffe you'll either get it delivered straight to you or you'll have to pick it up at the post office which is about a 5 minute walk away.
Reply 54
Original post by Brambs
I've firmed Sheffield for BA Business Management and Economics.

But I'm considering switching to straight BA Economics, providing that I get a strong A in my economics exam results. Does anyone know how flexible Sheffield are when it comes to changing courses? And what does the process involve? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have also firmed BA Business Management and Economics :smile: so maybe see you in September if you decide not to change :smile:
Original post by Spalinkor
I also firmed IR and politics ! Could you send me the link for tha guardian article ? :biggrin:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/15/sheffield-university-number-one-student-experience-times-higher-education-survey

Can't wait to go! Good luck in your exams and hopefully see you there in September! :cool:
Reply 56
Original post by mayav95
Firmed for accounting and financial management and put Endcliffe en-suite for accommodation.

Accounting and Financial Management and Endcliffe too. Praying for the grades! ????
Hi folks,

We just wanted to let you know about an opportunity for any Architecture firmers among you.

The Sheffield School of Architecture are holding a six-day programme of events and talks this September which will give you the chance to work with and learn from some of the best architects, engineers, artists and academics in the UK. During an energetic week, you will be able to examine the fabric of the City Centre of Sheffield and propose solutions to vacant, underused and underdeveloped sites within the city. Each day will be packed with skills sessions, walks, talks, and presentations.

The course runs from 15th-20th September alongside the Sheffield-based arts and education festival 'Festival of the Mind'. It isn't just reserved for Sheffield students an applicants, either - students from other universities are invited to join us too! If you're interested, you can find more info on the Sheffield School of Architecture website.
Reply 58
Original post by K14
I have also firmed BA Business Management and Economics :smile: so maybe see you in September if you decide not to change :smile:

Hey! Even if I do change I might still see you in Economics lectures :smile: what accommodation have you applied for?
Reply 59
Original post by Brambs
Hey! Even if I do change I might still see you in Economics lectures :smile: what accommodation have you applied for?

Endcliffe Ensuite (self catering) and yourself? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending