The Student Room Group

AS AQA Sociology Unit 1 - Thursday 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by exammaster69
I don't understand why people have been taught more than one section? Surely it's way easier to just learn one in detail.

I'm self taught and have done Sociology in the past, as Unit 1 is quite straightforward I had time to look over the other two topics but just have the most confidence in wealth/poverty

Original post by rafay619
i dont think Marxist or functionalist will come up is it safe not to revise them? Marxist came out 2 years ago and functionalist was last year?

Definitely revise them or at least get a general gist for their theories and some key terms with them (eg. false consciousness etc), even if they're not the focus of the question I'm pretty sure in the 24 markers you get marks for mentioning how certain theories would feel about the subject at hand (eg. functionalists/marxists would argue that...) but this is just based off what I've seen in past mark schemes on the web site, if anyone else could clarify that would be great.

Original post by bethedwardes
I'm doing wealth and poverty... how are you feeling?

I'm feeling confident about most of the areas, if they ask about the welfare state I'm pretty sure I'll crush it. I'm not so confident about relative and absolute poverty though, I get the pros/cons of each but having trouble associating key theorists with the research conducted for each so I'm going to focus on that tonight.
Reply 21
oh ok thanks ! Any model answers website?
Reply 22
What about demography
Anybody doing family?!
Original post by h_steer95
also, how many paragraphs roughly per 24 marker? if I'm being honest my lecturer would defer from the topic when it would get asked

It really depends on the question! I have small handwriting and usually write about 2 or 3 sides
Original post by exammaster69
I know quite a few sociologists but not sure which are actually feminists? apart from Oakley, Greer, Millet & Firestone, Dobash & Dobash, Land... Does anyone have a list or something of which are feminists?

We've learnt Oakley and Frieden for Radical feminists.
Ansley and Benston for marxist
Sommerville for liberal
Original post by TheAlchemistt
In an feminism essay,
How would you structure it,
1st para - liberal
2nd para - marxist fem
3rd para - radial
4th para - difference

Would you mention oakley, dobash, millet, land?

I've learn two authors for both Marxist Feminists, and Radical Feminists e.g. for Marxism: Benston and Ainsley and for Radical: Delphy and Leonard, and i think its Millet
Original post by k.t legwaek
We've learnt Oakley and Frieden for Radical feminists.
Ansley and Benston for marxist
Sommerville for liberal

Cool thanks
I really hate social policy, it's too boring to revise. Don't mind if demography comes up, but i'm hoping for changing family patterns like the life course and diversity as well
How would you fit names of sociologists in an essay on demographics? How would we fit someone into explaining the effects of lower death rates for example??

Posted from TSR Mobile
For families and households - I am so confused about social policy?? Could the only essay be on the perspectives of social policy?
Original post by jacksmith_
How would you fit names of sociologists in an essay on demographics? How would we fit someone into explaining the effects of lower death rates for example??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tranter says that death rates are lowered due to improved resistance to infectious diseases, however Mckeown says that improved nutrition is the reason.
Reply 32
How likely is demograpy to come up?!?
Original post by xxvine

Last time it came up was January 2012 so fairly likely but not certain
Also, in that question that came up in 2012 you could write about more than demography
Original post by xxvine

social demography will probably come up as a 6 marker because it came up in jan 2012
Reply 36
Is anyone on here doing the Weath, Poverty and Welfare unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by ardalmurray
social demography will probably come up as a 6 marker because it came up in jan 2012

So what will come up lol
Aqa may be nasty and repeat question?!?
Nearly every topic has come up recently
anyone got any tips of time keeping? i'm really struggling finishing within an hour
Could anyone possibly give me any reasons for ethnic differences in Asian family patterns other than the support when migrating, the three generation family and more children.

Quick Reply

Latest