The Student Room Group

Edexcel British Political History: Responding To Change 1945-1990 Thurs 22 May 2014

Hey, I thought I'd make a thread for this exam on Thursday!
How is everyone feeling about it & does anyone have an predictions?

Scroll to see replies

BUMP!!
Okay, as no one is responding, I shall.
Please PLEASE don't take my word for it as I have taught this unit to myself and have no teacher but this is what I think...
For part a I have no clue but I think for part b it will most likely include a Conservative Question from 79-90, Conservative 51-64 or Labour 45-51.
If you can figure out any pattern from the table, let me know. I hope this helps but DO NOT count on this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher told me for the part b questions I might as well only revise from 60's onwards because part b i) will be about pre 1970's and ii) will be about 1970 onwards HOWEVER if the part A question is about 1970 onwards then the part b ii) will be about 1960's (if that makes sense)! Find it easier that way because 1960's onwards is so much better!
Original post by Hayleighs
My teacher told me for the part b questions I might as well only revise from 60's onwards because part b i) will be about pre 1970's and ii) will be about 1970 onwards HOWEVER if the part A question is about 1970 onwards then the part b ii) will be about 1960's (if that makes sense)! Find it easier that way because 1960's onwards is so much better!

Awesome! A teacher's input! And it makes perfect sense :smile: Do you know what may come up for part a??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Can you please tell me how to answer the question and structure my answer ?
I haven't looked at any past papers properly to figure out arough time so give me 10/15 minutes and I'll take a guess at it!
Original post by The-Lad
Can you please tell me how to answer the question and structure my answer ?

What question a or b?
Reply 9
B please
Original post by The-Lad
B please

Go onto my profile. About a year ago, someone put out the structure for question B on there. I hope it helps :smile:
Original post by The-Lad
B please

Do you understand how to answer the source questions? It is pretty much that but you have to back up points that you make with your own knowledge e.g. If the source said 'the 4th June broadcast by Churchill destroyed the conservatives chances of coming to power' then you can back that up by saying that in the election the day after, labour had a majority of 180.

So basically it question A with your own knowledge, make sure you use evidence, cross reference and evaluate the provenance of all sources. Also make sure you mention the sources in your introduction and what they suggest (whether they agree or disagree with the question)

AO1 which comes from evaluating the sources is worth 16 marks
Whereas A02 your own knowledge is worth 24 marks

So make sure you go throughout your book and learn major policies or reforms e.g. Roy Jenkins 'civilised society' idea and abolishing capital punishment which was 1965 (or arguably 1969). Also go though key cabinet figures, election results and the opposition at the time. I'd also suggest looking at Keynesian economics and monetarism as it may be something useful to use.

Look at some exampler scripts on edexcel and revise the mark scheme so you know what to do

Question B:

Intro- it can be interpreted from the sources that ....it agrees with the question.... As shown in source 1 and 2, whereas, source 3 opposes this view by implying... Basically summing up the source... . (If you were wanting to include a separate own low ledge paragraph you can add - However, the failure/success/whatever could be a result of other factors)

Para - source 1--> implication --> 'example'--> own knowledge --> cross reference with agreeing source --> repeat --> provenance

Para - repeat for next source

Etc

Conclusion - sum up whether the sources lean more towards one side --> reason and then explain why it doesnt lean the other way
Original post by PromiseKim
Okay, as no one is responding, I shall.
Please PLEASE don't take my word for it as I have taught this unit to myself and have no teacher but this is what I think...
For part a I have no clue but I think for part b it will most likely include a Conservative Question from 79-90, Conservative 51-64 or Labour 45-51.
If you can figure out any pattern from the table, let me know. I hope this helps but DO NOT count on this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey my teacher told me the exact same thing! How did you work out the pattern?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunshinebeem
Hey my teacher told me the exact same thing! How did you work out the pattern?

Really?! Wow!! :smile:
Basically in the post that you quoted from me, I put a picture of the list of questions and what the party and years they were. And it seemed that since they started the paper, they have consistently got one or sometimes even two out of the three of the Party-Years combinations. Furthermore, they haven't changed the questions and even have some repetitions of questions.
That's how I came to the conclusion. I hope it makes sense! Let me know of it doesn't! (I'm better at "showing" than actual "explaining", hahaha!! :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher thinks Macmillan will come up - I don't know if Thatcher or Attlee will come up as they have 4 or 5 times each previously - but exam boards tend to put that sort of thing on exam papers anyway!
Reply 15
so basically for question 2 i have to back up each point with own knowledge, cross ref , challenge sources, explain how reliable each source is ??

Plus can you guys help me by telling me how to do the conclusion
Original post by Hayleighs
Do you understand how to answer the source questions? It is pretty much that but you have to back up points that you make with your own knowledge e.g. If the source said 'the 4th June broadcast by Churchill destroyed the conservatives chances of coming to power' then you can back that up by saying that in the election the day after, labour had a majority of 180.

So basically it question A with your own knowledge, make sure you use evidence, cross reference and evaluate the provenance of all sources. Also make sure you mention the sources in your introduction and what they suggest (whether they agree or disagree with the question)

AO1 which comes from evaluating the sources is worth 16 marks
Whereas A02 your own knowledge is worth 24 marks

So make sure you go throughout your book and learn major policies or reforms e.g. Roy Jenkins 'civilised society' idea and abolishing capital punishment which was 1965 (or arguably 1969). Also go though key cabinet figures, election results and the opposition at the time. I'd also suggest looking at Keynesian economics and monetarism as it may be something useful to use.

Look at some exampler scripts on edexcel and revise the mark scheme so you know what to do

Question B:

Intro- it can be interpreted from the sources that ....it agrees with the question.... As shown in source 1 and 2, whereas, source 3 opposes this view by implying... Basically summing up the source... . (If you were wanting to include a separate own low ledge paragraph you can add - However, the failure/success/whatever could be a result of other factors)

Para - source 1--> implication --> 'example'--> own knowledge --> cross reference with agreeing source --> repeat --> provenance

Para - repeat for next source

Etc

Conclusion - sum up whether the sources lean more towards one side --> reason and then explain why it doesnt lean the other way

You're meant to avoid contextual knowledge in part A

Posted from TSR Mobile
So how is everyone feeling about this exam tomorrow, any last predictions?
I'm feeling mega good- mainly because the teacher I had has prepared us skill wise for this exam. Hook own knowledge to the sources, cross reference, only provenence non history book sources, etc. :smile:

Prediction wise....our whole class have taken bets on it (including the teacher) and if anyone gets all three right, they get a box of chocolates. I cannot remember what I predicted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Questions weren't too bad, I think the word 'austerity' will trip lots of people up, because people experienced hardship, but austerity means cuts in government spending but this increased (as seen by the rise in balance of payments deficit). Overall I feel like the exam went okay, how did everyone else find it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending