The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm at uni but I was at home last year and never paid rent. I find it pretty bizzare when parents suddenly start demanding rent from their kids the moment they turn 18 (unless they genuinely can't afford it, but they should be able to since you've lived there all your life!)
Original post by joker12345
I'm at uni but I was at home last year and never paid rent. I find it pretty bizzare when parents suddenly start demanding rent from their kids the moment they turn 18 (unless they genuinely can't afford it, but they should be able to since you've lived there all your life!)

Well not jut as soon as you reach 18 but most people would say that it is right to contribute as you are no longer at school/ university .
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hard to remember now but i think I paid around £200 a month?
I've negotiated £50/week (but that includes food & washing) if I need it but I'm moving out anyway for work.
Original post by joker12345

Your parents get child tax credits until you're 18 to help pay for your keep, for a lot of parents that is a significant amount of money.

I don't pay my mum rent when I am at home, I just give her money of she needs it and I don't. Works out on average about £20 a week but might need to be more this summer as my mum lost her job last month.
None. My parents love me.
Can someone explain why parents do this?

Do they do it to teach life lessons?

Or cos they need the money?
I pay them with my knowledge of everyday technology... Such as how to open a new tab on the internet.
I'm really surprised that some parents charge their kids for rent -.-
Reply 10
I've never understood the concept of children paying rent to thier parents to live in their own home.
I can understand the whole argument of chipping around the home however being forced to pay a monthly fee just to live in a household with your parents baffles me.
I prefer to chip in around the house when I can like buy shopping, clean the house etc.
I used to pay the Electric bill and the Council tax.
I was asked to contribute just before I moved out. I think it was to teach me to budget and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rickfloss
dis pusyhole drops bare stacks on da geezers u get me?

man be like toss a K like its nothing, 22 years young fam, hustlin like a 50 ceo nikka

( but seriously, 22 and hit em up with 1k a year , still at uni, bout to do 4th year)

Dun no.

You go to Uni? Haha. Nice one.
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Can someone explain why parents do this?

Do they do it to teach life lessons?

Or cos they need the money?

It depends on the parents, but in my experience, it's mostly because they need the money, or otherwise feel it is fair that an adult should pay their own way. I tend to agree that adults should never live rent-free unless they're in education, there's something a bit child-like about it otherwise.

If I have children, I'll let them stay at home beyond the age of 18 with cheap rent if they wish, but even if I'm comfortably wealthy they'll still contribute financially. I'd hate to raise kids who think it's normal that someone else will pay for them when they're an adult, irrespective of whether I'm their parent or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find it disgraceful that some people don't or won't pay their parents rent. It's only ever been my mum and myself living in a house. She doesn't ask for a penny, but she knows that I'd never not give her any money, even when I'm not at home.

I do it out of respect. Not because she needs it, or asks for it.
When I lived with my mum, all she asked was that I paid for my phone bill every month. I offered her money for digs but she always refused. If she needed money for anything though and I had it, I would give it to her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't live with my parents, I do pay for a mortgage in London to the tune of £2k per month (I really want to sell but I don't fancy finding a new place just yet :lol:) and another in Dubai which stands at £4k monthly although the house is rented out so it's being paid off from that money and not my own.
Original post by russellsteapot
It depends on the parents, but in my experience, it's mostly because they need the money, or otherwise feel it is fair that an adult should pay their own way. I tend to agree that adults should never live rent-free unless they're in education, there's something a bit child-like about it otherwise.

If I have children, I'll let them stay at home beyond the age of 18 with cheap rent if they wish, but even if I'm comfortably wealthy they'll still contribute financially. I'd hate to raise kids who think it's normal that someone else will pay for them when they're an adult, irrespective of whether I'm their parent or not.

Thanks for that.

For me, paying rent sounds very business and transaction like. I dont like that. Its not a business partnership. Its family.

I think helping to pay bills, do the weekly shop, etc, makes sense. As in you're contributing to the household.
Reply 19
My parents suggested I pay rent when I came home after uni.. however they then decided to sell the house and move to another country.

I wouldnt have paid it anyway :P

Latest

Trending

Trending