The Student Room Group

Google tests driverless car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by geoking
Fact is, you've already given away your data hundreds of times without knowing it. Club cards, online shopping, twitter, Facebook etc. If everyone was paranoid like you, we'd be eating our children and living in caves in fear of technology.
You have consented to that by signing up to the service which was provided with a terms and conditions when you made your account. Google does not ask you for these things for you to be able to search, but yet uses the data for monetary gain.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It will lead to Google-controlled roads using Google-controlled maps and Google-controlled thoughts guiding us to Google-controlled destinations.

The 'nothing to worry about if you've done nothing' comment is the hallmark of dictatorships the world over. For sure, you've nothing to worry about. Until the Google robot police come to arrest you on Google charges, try you instantly in the Google online court and carry out your immediate sentence, execution in the Google Driverless Death Van. (See: China for inspiration for the latter. :lol:)

Yes, it's like the entirety of Google is just one ******* on a throne with only one opinion about everything!
Oh, wait.

The vast majority of people working on the driverless car project are just ordinary engineers and scientists who are looking to create "the next big thing". There's so much paranoia over Google, it's ridiculous. It's a company made up of thousands of ordinary people, of which there are probably a few *******s, but they are certainly no supporter of the US government (track record: protests against SOPA, PIPA and net neutrality).

Original post by Jacob-C
You have consented to that by signing up to the service which was provided with a terms and conditions when you made your account. Google does not ask you for these things for you to be able to search, but yet uses the data for monetary gain.

I don't know about you but I also signed up to YouTube and consequently Google, providing (some of) my personal information. Anything they gain that I haven't given them has been worked out purely with an algorithm on a computer with no human interaction and is simply a "guesstimate", which is not illegal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
Yes, it's like the entirety of Google is just one ******* on a throne with only one opinion about everything!
Oh, wait.

The vast majority of people working on the driverless car project are just ordinary engineers and scientists who are looking to create "the next big thing". There's so much paranoia over Google, it's ridiculous. It's a company made up of thousands of ordinary people, of which there are probably a few *******s, but they are certainly no supporter of the US government (track record: protests against SOPA, PIPA and net neutrality).

There is bound to be a big difference between the rank and file in a corporation like that and the board executives. Brin, Page and Schmidt live on a different planet to them.

The facts are - Google is now a major developer of robotic devices for the US armed forces. They have also worked closely with the NSA for over a decade to ensure that the personal and (once presumed) confidential data of the global citizenry are fully available to the US security services.

It hardly inspires confidence does it? However, it was always naive to assume that US corporations, despite their alleged love of freedom, would turn out to be anything other than tools (and sometimes controllers) of US state interests.

Good article in the Guardian about this topic today.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/driverless-cars-google-data-privacy
Reply 23
There is bound to be a big difference between the rank and file in a corporation like that and the board executives. Brin, Page and Schmidt live on a different planet to them.

The facts are - Google is now a major developer of robotic devices for the US armed forces. They have also worked closely with the NSA for over a decade to ensure that the personal and (once presumed) confidential data of the global citizenry are fully available to the US security services.

It hardly inspires confidence does it? However, it was always naive to assume that US corporations, despite their alleged love of freedom, would turn out to be anything other than tools (and sometimes controllers) of US state interests.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/driverless-cars-google-data-privacy

What is your evidence for this, and who is "they"? Google has 50,000 individual employees doing very different jobs, working on very different things. Given their multiple campaigns against the US government in the past and their private network encryption after realising they were being tapped, I would be surprised if they were particularly happy to work with the NSA. You also forget the NSA has issued numerous gag orders against companies and individuals who refuse to cooperate.

I find it hilarious how you can just generalise an entire country's tech sector, especially when, generally, tech geeks are significantly more anti-US.gov than most.

I refuse to read a Guardian article that involves women, government or anything political - I can't stand that paper. It's as biased and opinionated as Fox news.
Original post by Jacob-C

And why do I give a ****? Google can't run on wishes and dreams - they need an income.
Google farm our data to other corporations all the time, they don't call it 'selling', they define it as 'focused marketing tools' made available to those companies.

They didn't have to sell it to the NSA, they invited government security staff in to Google to work directly on the relationship and ensure that all of our personal information is fully available to them.

It is actually quite chilling how much Google now know about at least 1/3 and maybe 1/2 of the people on planet Earth. It's difficult to accept that they don't have secrets about how they use and misuse that.

You are just being paranoid. There is no profit to be made from putting people down. Your ideas stem from a gross lack of understanding of economics and social workings.

If you were in Google's position you would do the exact same thing. It's easy to point blame from the outside but if you had the NSA threatening you unless you handed over personal information you'd do the exact same thing. Protesting against the government is easy when you are a nobody, noone is going to care about what you have to say so the government isn't concerned with you, if you are the head of a massive organisation then it's a bit different, you have influence so the government is going to take measures to make sure you don't cause trouble. Edward Snowden is an enemy of the USA because of what he did, it isn't too much of a stretch to think the heads of Google would be made similar if they didn't comply with the NSA's wishes.
Reply 27
* Is it right that vehicles should be driverless? What will happen if there are accidents? Can it ever be foolproof in today's frantic urban environments?
A resounding yes. There will be fewer accidents; human error accounts for about 90% of road accidents. Software can be more rigorously tested than humans can, and proven to be of a certain reliability. It won't be fool-proof, but it will be substantially better than the scenario we have now. It would completely eradicate problems like drunk-driving for instance if all cars were driverless.

* What about the pleasure of driving?
I doubt driverless cars will be mandatory for a long time (if ever, if the car fails to remain the primary mode of transportation), so people will still be able to drive for pleasure. If, on the other hand, driverless cars do become mandatory, there will be enclosed places to drive for pleasure (indeed, these places already exist).

* Why should we hand dominance in yet another major field to a silicon valley corporation?
Google aren't the only company working on driverless cars - almost every major car manufacturer is. Google is in competition with these other companies. But people will prefer the best, safest, most reliable cars, and if those cars have software from Google then that just means they're the most demanded by us. Google is rich because it is very useful to a lot of people. If they make the best car AI, then all the better for us from benefiting from that.

* Is Google trustworthy, or will this be another opportunity for them to hoover up personal data for unknown purposes, including, presumably, sharing it with the NSA?
If we're concerned about that we can produce legislation against it. All companies share the same interest, i.e., profit. Whichever company people buy their driverless cars from, if the NSA wants their data, they'll make an offer. Even if the NSA did collect all our driving data though, I still think this is worth all the lives saved from their invention.

Edit:
This is also ignoring all the other numerous benefits driverless cars introduce other than safety, e.g., convenience, non-stop travel, improved fuel economy, improved traffic flow (since cars can move closer together due to machines' faster reaction times), the reduced opportunity cost of travelling (instead of driving, you can now read a book, play games, sleep, text, etc.), and so on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by miser

I doubt driverless cars will be mandatory for a long time (if ever, if the car fails to remain the primary mode of transportation), so people will still be able to drive for pleasure. If, on the other hand, driverless cars do become mandatory, there will be enclosed places to drive for pleasure (indeed, these places already exist).

I agree it will be a long time before manually driven cars would be banned on public roads, if it ever happens. The driverless cars are designed with human stupidity in mind. I think they will gradually raise the ability level needed to get a license for driving a car yourself, while lowering the requirements to operate a driverless car.

Lets face it, in the long run driverless cars are going to be safer over all. While there are perfectly decent, safe drivers out there, there are probably 10 morons for safe driver.
Reply 29
Original post by Psyk
I agree it will be a long time before manually driven cars would be banned on public roads, if it ever happens. The driverless cars are designed with human stupidity in mind. I think they will gradually raise the ability level needed to get a license for driving a car yourself, while lowering the requirements to operate a driverless car.

Lets face it, in the long run driverless cars are going to be safer over all. While there are perfectly decent, safe drivers out there, there are probably 10 morons for safe driver.

I agree, though I think even that's being generous. I don't think people are morons - I just think they're inherently bad at driving. We get distracted too easily, and every time something is invented to make our driving experience safer, as soon as we find out about it we drive more carelessly as a result. We're naturally bad at safety.

And to add to my previous post, less crashes mean cheaper insurance, as well as equality of prices since it won't depend on driver ability. People won't need to pass driving tests to have transport, which means children, the blind, the unsafe, etc., can all have flexible transportation at their disposal. Automated taxis will also be cheaper than driver taxis. So many benefits to driverless cars.
Original post by miser
I agree, though I think even that's being generous. I don't think people are morons - I just think they're inherently bad at driving. We get distracted too easily, and every time something is invented to make our driving experience safer, as soon as we find out about it we drive more carelessly as a result. We're naturally bad at safety.

And to add to my previous post, less crashes mean cheaper insurance, as well as equality of prices since it won't depend on driver ability. People won't need to pass driving tests to have transport, which means children, the blind, the unsafe, etc., can all have flexible transportation at their disposal. Automated taxis will also be cheaper than driver taxis. So many benefits to driverless cars.

How long would it be before insurers would be offering 2/3 off insurance if you go driverless? And how long after that before the government start demanding reasons why you want to drive manually?

I can see many different and new problems arising. One would be that the long streams of juggernauts currently infesting every motorway would be pre-programmed (presumably) to either drive perfectly safely nose-to-tail, thereby blocking the motorways even more and creating conditions for potential disasters that even the best programming would be unlikely to cope with - or, they would demand additional length between vehicles, bringing most major roads to a standstill.

Haulage companies, suddenly no longer having to pay drivers, will design and use vehicles to the limit, creating lorries that are ceaselessly on the move apart from rare visits to maintenance centres. The endless flow of large and small lorries will block every minor and major route. City roads will become unusable. Unless all the vehicles are electric, pollution will rise to staggering levels, as road haulage will be fundamentally cheaper.

Every supermarket, corner shop and online retailer will add to the congestion with vast numbers of new (and very cheap to run) online delivery vans.

The industry will demand 'super-lorries' of currently undreamed of size, on the grounds that they are 'completely safe'.
I think what you mean is, you hope that a liberal society (allegedly) like Britain and the US can defend against such an outcome. Given the conduct of the security services in both countries and the secrecy surrounding Google's armaments contracts and their relationship with the 'cuddly' search engine company, I suspect your hopes may be somewhat trusting. The truth is that there isn't much now to stop a full takeover of the combined corporate and security states, with companies like Google leading the way. The population are largely acquiescent and the Chinafication of the West is proceeding.

Google farm our data to other corporations all the time, they don't call it 'selling', they define it as 'focused marketing tools' made available to those companies.

They didn't have to sell it to the NSA, they invited government security staff in to Google to work directly on the relationship and ensure that all of our personal information is fully available to them.

It is actually quite chilling how much Google now know about at least 1/3 and maybe 1/2 of the people on planet Earth. It's difficult to accept that they don't have secrets about how they use and misuse that.

In the least offensive way possible, you come across as utterly paranoid and tin-foil.

Also, as a strong Luddite.
Original post by ClickItBack
In the least offensive way possible, you come across as utterly paranoid and tin-foil.

Also, as a strong Luddite.

Please address points rather than making ad-hominem attacks. None of the points I made in the paragraphs you quoted are incorrect.
How long would it be before insurers would be offering 2/3 off insurance if you go driverless? And how long after that before the government start demanding reasons why you want to drive manually?

I can see many different and new problems arising. One would be that the long streams of juggernauts currently infesting every motorway would be pre-programmed (presumably) to either drive perfectly safely nose-to-tail, thereby blocking the motorways even more and creating conditions for potential disasters that even the best programming would be unlikely to cope with - or, they would demand additional length between vehicles, bringing most major roads to a standstill.

Haulage companies, suddenly no longer having to pay drivers, will design and use vehicles to the limit, creating lorries that are ceaselessly on the move apart from rare visits to maintenance centres. The endless flow of large and small lorries will block every minor and major route. City roads will become unusable. Unless all the vehicles are electric, pollution will rise to staggering levels, as road haulage will be fundamentally cheaper.

Every supermarket, corner shop and online retailer will add to the congestion with vast numbers of new (and very cheap to run) online delivery vans.

The industry will demand 'super-lorries' of currently undreamed of size, on the grounds that they are 'completely safe'.

Alternatively, it could be the case that AI-driven cars automatically tap in to a network of traffic reports to find the quickest, least-congested and most fuel-efficient way of travelling from destination A to B, saving time, money and pollution.

Safety standards will likely be retested to take into account new technology and won't go beyond the bounds of what is deemed actually safe - in the same way that increasing power of cars over the last 50 years has not led to an increase of the speed limit within towns.

Without the need for a human driver, cars could be redesigned entirely to be autonomous cargo trains rather than passenger vehicles - stripping out seats and luxuries such as radio and air conditioning, leading again to greater fuel efficiency and reduced pollution.

This is why I called you a Luddite in the post above. Instead of taking a balanced approach to this, you are simply listing all the negative possibilities that may come about because of the technology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BlueSam3
Also, Google didn't share data with the NSA. The NSA Tapped it.

"Tapped it", NSA "confessed" due to not wanting to tarnish Google's reputation of being family friendly, reliable and over all, safe.

The NSA wouldn't risk loosing anyone who uses a Google product, they need their reputation to remain in tact for future NSA projects and spying.

The NSA isn't the only security agency we need to be worried about.

Just my two cents on the subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
x

In addition to the above, I think your comments about an exponential increase in congestion and traffic are not rational.

Congestion/traffic are driven by two end-user factors: demand for haulage/delivery, and demand for personal transport. A change in the technology for cars navigating will not actually affect these. Amazon will still have to make the same number of deliveries irrespective of whether the cars are driverless or not.

Given that the demand is independent of the technology, the much more likely scenario arising from the use of driverless cars is a reduction in traffic and congestion, not an increase - for the reasons I stated above.

Please address points rather than making ad-hominem attacks. None of the points I made in the paragraphs you quoted are incorrect.

Apologies. I'm not that keen to get into a debate about a combined Google-government police state, but I hope you find the points in this post and previous suitably non-ad-hominem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thom_Ryan
"Tapped it", NSA "confessed" due to not wanting to tarnish Google's reputation of being family friendly, reliable and over all, safe.

The NSA wouldn't risk loosing anyone who uses a Google product, they need their reputation to remain in tact for future projects.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Google, far from resisting the NSA, have been active players in providing them with all the help and technology they need to mine our private data.

Emails uncovered just recently by Al-Jaz show this in action.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/nsa-google_n_5273437.html
Original post by ClickItBack
In addition to the above, I think your comments about an exponential increase in congestion and traffic are not rational.

Congestion/traffic are driven by two end-user factors: demand for haulage/delivery, and demand for personal transport. A change in the technology for cars navigating will not actually affect these. Amazon will still have to make the same number of deliveries irrespective of whether the cars are driverless or not.

Given that the demand is independent of the technology, the much more likely scenario arising from the use of driverless cars is a reduction in traffic and congestion, not an increase - for the reasons I stated above.

Costs of operating commercial fleets would (after an initial investment in driverless tech) fall sharply. Inevitably this could be passed on to the e-tailers and the result would be further increases in demand for products and more deliveries. This effect would be multiplied as Google (also inevitably) gets into driverless freight aircraft (there is already pressure to do that), captainless ships and the like. Couple it with Amazon's proposed 'human-less' distribution centres (they are currently being discussed) and you have a recipe for a big surge in traffic.

The road haulage industry are also competing with rail and unless driverless trains are also introduced (admittedly a possibility) their competitiveness with that mode will sharply increase.

A headwind would be that demand might fall because of a new surge in unemployment as numerous staff relating to driver-related services collapse (there would be no further need for a DVLA!), but overall I think it's clear that demand for vehicle use would rise substantially. That's really why Google want to get into this. They anticipate a strong and ongoing future profit surge from the commercial sector as many more vehicles are demanded.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38

I don't really see any basis to make these kind of speculations. Traffic is likely to improve (ceteris paribus) because a higher density of cars permits a greater flowrate. There are however likely to be many more vehicles on the road because the costs of travel have been reduced (easier, more convenient, cheaper, etc.). Which is the greater of these effects is unknown to me and I don't think anyone here is particularly well-placed to call it with any certainty.
Costs of operating commercial fleets would (after an initial investment in driverless tech) fall sharply. Inevitably this could be passed on to the e-tailers and the result would be further increases in demand for products and more deliveries. This effect would be multiplied as Google (also inevitably) gets into driverless freight aircraft (there is already pressure to do that), captainless ships and the like. Couple it with Amazon's proposed 'human-less' distribution centres (they are currently being discussed) and you have a recipe for a big surge in traffic.

The road haulage industry are also competing with rail and unless driverless trains are also introduced (admittedly a possibility) their competitiveness with that mode will sharply increase.

A headwind would be that demand might fall because of a new surge in unemployment as numerous staff relating to driver-related services collapse (there would be no further need for a DVLA!), but overall I think it's clear that demand for vehicle use would rise substantially. That's really why Google want to get into this. They anticipate a strong and ongoing future profit surge from the commercial sector as many more vehicles are demanded.

Decreased costs being passed on leading to increased demand of goods is certainly a possibility, though I wonder whether the marginal impact on prices of goods (and therefore the marginal impact on consumer demand) will really be significant. How much of the average item that a person buys on Amazon is down to the delivery (and OK, prior shipping and haulage to get it into the distribution centre in the first place) cost? 5%? 10%? And how much will that cost be reduced? By 25%, perhaps?

But I grant that your premise of increased demand due to reduced costs is not entirely without merit.

Overall, I think that the benefits that the technology brings are greater than the risks it poses. I'm curious about what you propose should be done. Are you in favour of banning the introduction of driverless vehicles? Or are you against it in principle, but resigned to their inevitability?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending