The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Bsc Mathematics

Hi

I'm hoping to start a Bsc Mathematics degree with the OU in October 2014. I want to do 120 credits but I'm not sure whether to do 60 credits first then another 60 credits or 120 credits in one go. I did A-level maths 2 years ago and achieved an A. Has anyone done a maths degree with the OU in 3 years? What are your experiences?

Thanks
Reply 1
I think the L1 courses have changed quite a bit from even a couple of years ago. I don't know too much about the new ones.

My plan was to get a maths degree in ~3 years overlapping 60 points each of February and October starts but the Feb starts disappeared and I couldn't face starting 120 points at once. I'm sure you could get through it and it might be worth doing if you're in a hurry because it's the best chance you get (you can also defer some if it doesn't go so well I think) but it may not be fun.

120 points at once at L2 was done by quite a few of my group but would honestly have made me quit if I'd tried it. I have had to spend much more time than the OU suggests to get good grades at L2 and L3 but many do well on less.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I'm starting their Maths degree this October, and I've done some research on their Level 1 modules. Will you be doing the Standard Start or the Gentle Start? An A in A-Level Maths is pretty good. I got an A as well - one year ago - but I also did Further Maths (and got a C).

Personally, I felt that the Gentle Start isn't challenging enough. If I recall correctly, MU123 is pretty much equivalent to GCSE Maths, while MU124 (which is what you'll be starting with if you go for the Standard Start) is equivalent to the A-Level Maths Core modules, and MU125 will mostly be Further Maths (FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2) - or for people who didn't study F Maths at school, it will be pretty much 1st year of university maths.

Also, the optional modules you took in Maths at school will be helpful, whether you did S1, S2, M1, M2 or whatever else. S1 will undoubtedly help you with the Introducing Statistics module, while M1 and/or M2 will be super useful for MU125.

Personally, I have decided to take 120 credits this first year. From reading and asking around, I have found that at least half of the L1 Maths modules will consist of nothing but revision. Levels 2 and 3 will be far tougher, so if you feel that you'd like to complete degree at your own pace, but the quicker the better, I'd say that this is the perfect year to take 120 credits. I will probably be completing the rest of the degree part-time.

And if you choose the Gentle Start, imo you should definitely go for the 120 credits! If you feel that you want/need it, of course! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest