Worst course to study at LSE

Scroll to see replies

No course at LSE is bad.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Mustgetintoib
Is management not a good course? Its admittance ratio is like 1:11

How is anthropology a poor course? I know a graduate from LSE who studied anthropology, had no legal work experience and now works a trainee solicitor for a top US law firm. Anthropology is very highly regarded in the job market.
Take a look at a website called 'uni-stats'!
Original post by Hunarench95
Take a look at a website called 'uni-stats'!

Or/and go straight to the source (given Uni-stats is still in it's infancy and will become better with age): http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAndVacancies/graduateDestinations/Department/Home.aspx
Original post by Caecilius
Lmao, "it was my subjective opinion, not fact" - of course it was. So what? He thinks your opinion is ignorant.

Also, pretty jokes that a pre-uni teen is able to casually dismiss the fields of IR and Social Policy.

A lot of people don't especially respect IR. My housemate last year did IR masters degrees and she and her coursemates struck me as rather dense, despite the majority gaining distinctions.
Original post by JusticeSeeker
How is anthropology a poor course? I know a graduate from LSE who studied anthropology, had no legal work experience and now works a trainee solicitor for a top US law firm. Anthropology is very highly regarded in the job market.

Except law firms don't care what degree you do. They care about your university and your grades.
Original post by TurboCretin
Except law firms don't care what degree you do. They care about your university and your grades.

Yeah that's my point. And I find it's also unfair. A 1st in a course like anthropology is not dear as easy as getting a 1st in law, in my opinion.
Yeah that's my point. And I find it's also unfair. A 1st in a course like anthropology is not dear as easy as getting a 1st in law, in my opinion.

Eh? I thought your point was that anthropology was highly regarded, and that you were using your friend's employment by a law firm as evidence of that. Law firms don't care about degree subject, so your friend isn't evidence of anthropology being highly valued.

And I agree. I studied linguistics for my undergrad, got 1sts in 2/3 of my modules (including 1sts in all my final year subjects) and nothing below a 2.1. Did a senior status law degree, averaged a mid-2.1. The undergrads definitely had it easier than us, but still.
Eh? I thought your point was that anthropology was highly regarded, and that you were using your friend's employment by a law firm as evidence of that. Law firms don't care about degree subject, so your friend isn't evidence of anthropology being highly valued.

And I agree. I studied linguistics for my undergrad, got 1sts in 2/3 of my modules (including 1sts in all my final year subjects) and nothing below a 2.1. Did a senior status law degree, averaged a mid-2.1. The undergrads definitely had it easier than us, but still.

Just a bit gutted I've been doing so many years of studying law, and my friend who just studied 3 years has his career set, without having done any legal experience. I keep doing legal internships every summer, accumulating masters in law degrees and I still struggle to even get vac schemes. I'm so motivated to get a training contract, and I don't see why I'm not an attractive candidate for law firms (Double degree in law, multilingual, international experience, Masters in EU law...)
Just a bit gutted I've been doing so many years of studying law, and my friend who just studied 3 years has his career set, without having done any legal experience. I keep doing legal internships every summer, accumulating masters in law degrees and I still struggle to even get vac schemes. I'm so motivated to get a training contract, and I don't see why I'm not an attractive candidate for law firms (Double degree in law, multilingual, international experience, Masters in EU law...)

Been there. Chances are you're not targeting your app answers well enough. You really have to use every answer to demonstrate to the firm how you fulfil the competencies they say they're looking for, rather than just answering questions in the abstract. Same goes for interviews - you need to look back over the firm's desired competencies, figure out which one(s) particular questions are targeting and give HR what they want to hear. I've lost out on TCs and vac schemes by not doing these things, despite my undergrad 1st, prior legal experience and, in the case of TCs, even doing a vac scheme or several months of work at the firm.

TL;DR - you can't rely on your CV, you have to sell yourself at every opportunity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
you have to sell yourself at every opportunity.

+1 Convince them that your credentials set you apart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending