The Student Room Group

Going back to college. Access or A-levels

Hey guys.
So, right now I'm 20 years old.
I got through school, and came out with 12 GCSE's.
After that I went to college and started 4 A level courses, Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Maths
My first set of exams were okay, and I was predicted to get around B's for all of them.
But in the second half of the year (AS) I found it hard to concentrate, and I suffered major bouts of depression (Probably the biggest I've faced in my life) and I basically lost all motivation I had for my subjects.
At the end of the year I ended up getting 2 D's and 2 U's
I did try and do a second year at college, I changed Chemistry and Maths for English and Psychology, and the same thing happened, did really well at the start of the year and then just slowly fell off until I completely failed again.
Since then I've had the chance to work full time, and understand myself a little more.
I really want to go back to college so that I can go to university, the only problem is I'm struggling with deciding what to do.
I'm not sure whether it's best for me to go back to A-levels, or do an access course. And I'm not sure where I stand on fee's either. (I wouldn't be working while at college)
Also I feel it might be hard for me to get back into the swing of things, I always seemed to be pretty good at school, and a few of my friends who are finishing their second year in university this year I helped when we first started, so I'd like to think I'm competent enough to go back, my confidence is just a little shaky given how it went the first time, and I feel it'll be harder for me to fit in. I still have all my old AS books so I could start reading early to help me get on track again. I'm more driven than I was in the past.

Anyway, I was wondering what you all thought was the best course of action , ideally, I'd like to go into university to study economics or physics.
Do you think I'll be able to go back to college given my history of failing, and what do you think is the best course of action if I can. Also any help regarding information on college fees would be great.

Thanks in advance,

-D

Quick Reply

Latest