The Student Room Group

Sleep

I am exhausted because each night I've been waking up at like 1-2am and then again at 4-5am.
I know it's exam stress, each time I wake up I spend like 10 minutes thinking about revision and failing before I can calm myself down enough to get back to sleep.

Anyone have any tips that might help me sleep better?
Or like foods or things that'll give me energy/wake me up during the day... if I can just need to keep going for another 3 weeks till they're over.
Original post by Fuenciado
I am exhausted because each night I've been waking up at like 1-2am and then again at 4-5am.
I know it's exam stress, each time I wake up I spend like 10 minutes thinking about revision and failing before I can calm myself down enough to get back to sleep.

Anyone have any tips that might help me sleep better?
Or like foods or things that'll give me energy/wake me up during the day... if I can just need to keep going for another 3 weeks till they're over.

Hey, sorry to hear that you're not sleeping well. :hugs: There are things you can do to help you sleep better. Off the top of my head:

- Try doing some moderate exercise during the day.
- Don't do anything stimulating in the hour before going to bed - no video games, no revision, etc. Have a bath or read a book instead, to help you wind down. :smile:
- If you're using your computer/phone a lot, try downloading Flux or Twilight; light from the screen can mess with your sleeping patterns but this should help with that.
- Try not to revise in your bedroom, if at all possible. :smile: That way you won't associate the space with work and will find it easier to switch off.
- Try 7-11 breathing exercises to help you calm down quickly if you wake up in the middle of the night.
- Don't drink too much caffeine, and don't drink any caffeine in the evenings. Herbal teas can be really good for helping you to relax.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet at night - don't sleep with the light on, wear earplugs if necessary, etc.

I hope some of these help you. :smile: Don't stress out about waking up in the night, as it will only make the situation worse! Best of luck with your exams. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest