The Student Room Group

SCLY2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrissie19913
I think this too. Also what do u think for research methods and methods in context. Survey and sampling hasn't ever came up

Original post by EllissJ
I think, a specific perspective on education is going to come up. E.g. Strictly Functionalists or Marxists.

Think about SCLY1 if you done families & households. Neither of the essay questions asked for a sociological view. Therefore, I think the education essay will ask for a specific view

Couldn't agree more tbh was thinking this myself. Sociological perspectives were virtually non existent in the SCLY1 paper, and AQA will no doubt want to test people on them, so yeah its extremely likely they will make the SCLY2 paper a lot more sociological perspectives heavy :smile:
Methods in context:
1) link to positivism/interpretivism
2) an advantage drawn from the item
3) a separate advantage from your own knowledge
4) another separate advantage
5) a disadvantage drawn from the item
6) a separate disadvantage from your own knowledge
7) another separate disadvantage
8) possible studies that link to the topic in the item or that use that form of research
9) an alternative method and why
10) conclusion

Remember that this is just a structure. If you're going to use this structure YOU MUST LINK IT TO THE ITEM AND THE TOPIC. Most people lose marks because they don't link it to the topic/issue in the question. If don't link it, you will get a maximum of 8 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by judging
Methods in context:
1) link to positivism/interpretivism
2) an advantage drawn from the item
3) a separate advantage from your own knowledge
4) another separate advantage
5) a disadvantage drawn from the item
6) a separate disadvantage from your own knowledge
7) another separate disadvantage
8) possible studies that link to the topic in the item or that use that form of research
9) an alternative method and why
10) conclusion

Remember that this is just a structure. If you're going to use this structure YOU MUST LINK IT TO THE ITEM AND THE TOPIC. Most people lose marks because they don't link it to the topic/issue in the question. If don't link it, you will get a maximum of 8 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thank you, my teacher makes it seem like all we had to do was list pros and cons for the whole essay.

could u elaborate on number 8 pls. i dont quite understand it
Original post by wonderkid14
wow thank you, my teacher makes it seem like all we had to do was list pros and cons for the whole essay.

could u elaborate on number 8 pls. i dont quite understand it

For example if you chose to write about Questionnaires and the Item had something to do with students and parents factors affecting educational achievement, you could mention Chubb & Moe (1990) and say they used this form of research method to investigate this topic too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by GHADAH
:O thank you! That makes sence, So now I focus on time management :biggrin: by the way just wondering if anyone knows but, would unit one questions appear in unit 2? For example in culture and identity we got functionalist questions already so surely they wouldn't ask any more functionalist questions for unit 2??

I hope i made some sence. O.o

No Wayy i was hoping functionalism would come up :frown: I'm resitting from last year and i still feel like i know nothing. If fuctionalism come up in Unit 1 i doubt it will come up again
Praying for a Theory question!!
Reply 66
Does anyone have any example high grade essays for Marxism? I'm hopeless at essay structure and this is an expected topic so please help someone!
Original post by lucindaellaaa
Praying for a Theory question!!

Me and you both c:
I would like an Ethnic differences essay as a 20 marker
and marxism as a 12 marker.
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Me and you both c:
I would like an Ethnic differences essay as a 20 marker
and marxism as a 12 marker.

They'd be good! I'd rather a 20 mark theory question though!
Original post by lucindaellaaa
They'd be good! I'd rather a 20 mark theory question though!

Either way, both are good.
What you think methods will be on?
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Either way, both are good.
What you think methods will be on?

No idea. But I find methods relatively easy as the evaluation is pretty much all the same.

I'd like questionairres or interviews to come up though!
Can someone help me, Can Marketisation,New right, Cultural dep, Material Dep Come up by themselves as a 12 maker?
Original post by virginia.f
Does anyone think we will be getting Educational Policies as the 20 marker question?

Yep i also have a gut feeling educational policies will come up😩 i hate it too !
What would you include if a social policy question came up (main points etc)?
How would you write a cultural dep or material dep essay?
Reply 75
Can someone please tell me how to structure an answer involving education and research methods? the 20 marker?

i.e. Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using one of the following methods for investigating social class differences in university
entrance:
EITHER group interviews
OR postal questionnaires
Reply 76
Original post by lucy97
Can someone please tell me how to structure an answer involving education and research methods? the 20 marker?

i.e. Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using one of the following methods for investigating social class differences in university
entrance:
EITHER group interviews
OR postal questionnaires

That is the best way for me : )

I - Intro
T- Theoretical - Positivists/interpretivists/reliablilty and validity. ( e.g is valid , but not necessary reliable (group interview )
P - Practical.
E- Ethical.
C - Conclusion.
Reply 77
Original post by Meeka96
That is the best way for me : )

I - Intro
T- Theoretical - Positivists/interpretivists/reliablilty and validity. ( e.g is valid , but not necessary reliable (group interview )
P - Practical.
E- Ethical.
C - Conclusion.

Thanks but I'm sure my teacher said something about linking it in with the educational aspect of the question, whereas you've just done the research part? :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400608753.202364.jpg

A table of the 20 mark essays just for Education and Research Methods section. Haven't done RM in context of education. Seems like policies is due? But AQA are sneaky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Husnara_a
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400608753.202364.jpg

A table of the 20 mark essays just for Education and Research Methods section. Haven't done RM in context of education. Seems like policies is due? But AQA are sneaky!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Functionalism/+ New right? Considering there was nothing on scly1 about theories and Marxism was 2013

Quick Reply