The Student Room Group

Which do you think is more annoying? Cyclist or horse riders?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yo radical one
As a cyclist

both

I often see huge crowds of Lycra-clad old men on their roads bikes huffing and puffing along, but literally they insist on riding 4 side-by-side rather than single file-freaking idiots :angry:

Horse-riders are pretty annoying also, loads of them ride horses which are easily "spooked" and start thrashing about on the road which is dangerous for both passers-by and the rider. I also wonder why not cleaning up after your pet dog is a something you get fined for, but not cleaning up after your horse is totally Ok :rolleyes:

Wrong. Most people will be riding a safe horse or will be good enough to calm the horse if the driver is passing 'wide and slow'. You're probably just driving wrong.

And do you think horses are just born unafraid of cars. They need a good rider to show them that cars aren't scary. So you will get some car-shy horses on the road but if you don't spook them they soon turn into not car-shy horses.
Cyclists are more annoying. Every horse rider i've come across goes single file and in the side of the road. Cyclists will happily ride 8 abreast in the middle of the road. Also it's much easier to overtake a horse, it's similar to stopping and moving round a stationery object, cyclists go that little bit faster so unless you're on a main road it can be tricky to overtake them.

However when i'm out running it's definitely horses which annoy me because they get spooked when they see someone running at them and it scares me a tad, cyclists do not get spooked.
Reply 22
Original post by SmallTownGirl
As a horse rider and a cyclist: cars are most annoying. They speed past horses and come too close to both horse riders and cyclists. And they're the ones who are polluting the planet.

This, it's absolutely terrifying to have an overtaking car give you about a foot's space on a country road with blind corners and pot holes everywhere.

If I come off my bike because of a pot hole when you're overtaking me and not leaving enough room, you'll kill me.
I went cyclist as I have never seen someone on horseback break the law but cyclists are doing it all the bloody time and are really hazardous for pedestrians especially given the number that think its cool to ride straight across a crossing or red light..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Flauta
This, it's absolutely terrifying to have an overtaking car give you about a foot's space on a country road with blind corners and pot holes everywhere.

If I come off my bike because of a pot hole when you're overtaking me and not leaving enough room, you'll kill me.

The worst bit is when you try and be a responsible driver and wait to overtake people behind you then start overtaking your car AND the cyclist on blind corners. Its like seriously now I've made the situation even more dangerous!!!
Original post by Rakas21
Car drivers.

As somebody who believes in the superiority of trains and likes the bicycle i believe that car drivers are the enemy.

Agreed...

Reply 26
Original post by redferry
The worst bit is when you try and be a responsible driver and wait to overtake people behind you then start overtaking your car AND the cyclist on blind corners. Its like seriously now I've made the situation even more dangerous!!!

Yeah, then half way through they realise that they've done something stupid and try to cut in too quickly :s-smilie:
Original post by Flauta
Yeah, then half way through they realise that they've done something stupid and try to cut in too quickly :s-smilie:

Or just crash into an oncoming car as I witnessed the other day. Pretty scarred by it O_o especially after having a crash myself at Christmas!
Original post by KrishanC93
More importantly, where would they put it?

I cycle a lot, don't mind horses. Most cyclists are good road users, it's the arses that stick out like sore thumbs :bike:

Posted from TSR Mobile

put it in a plastic bag and tie it to a tree for everybody else to admire like the dog owners around here I expect.

TBH they get away with it because

1. there aren't really many horses... horse dung removal was a problem in pre motorised cities and would no doubt be so again if we got back to that level of horses on the road.

2. they don't poop on pavements where people have to walk very often, mostly it lands the tarmac where the cars can just squash it
All the people complaining about cyclists riding two abreast, please read this: http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-laws-according-to-highway-code.html

Also, incidentally, I have seen mounted policemen riding their horses two abreast...
Original post by The Socktor
All the people complaining about cyclists riding two abreast, please read this: http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-laws-according-to-highway-code.html

Also, incidentally, I have seen mounted policemen riding their horses two abreast...

Still doesn't mean we can't complain about it... it may be legal but it's frowned upon.

As for your second point... well, that's the police for you :rolleyes:
Original post by Jordooooom
Still doesn't mean we can't complain about it... it may be legal but it's frowned upon.

For no good reason.

If anything, cyclists should be 2 abreast as it encourages drivers to overtake them properly - like they would another car - rather than just try and squeeze by. The amount of times I've been clipped by wing mirrors by people who's depth perception is **** is beyond reason.
Original post by blue n white army
Cyclists are more annoying. Every horse rider i've come across goes single file and in the side of the road. Cyclists will happily ride 8 abreast in the middle of the road. Also it's much easier to overtake a horse, it's similar to stopping and moving round a stationery object, cyclists go that little bit faster so unless you're on a main road it can be tricky to overtake them.

However when i'm out running it's definitely horses which annoy me because they get spooked when they see someone running at them and it scares me a tad, cyclists do not get spooked.

There is actually some sense in riding abreast rather than in single file. In single file you need much larger stretch of road to overtake them (you typically cannot overtake within the same lane safely), where as if they are in 1 bunch you can get past them quicker.

Also it's a safety thing, to stop people who think they can overtake within the same lane and get way to close.
Reply 33
Original post by redferry
Or just crash into an oncoming car as I witnessed the other day. Pretty scarred by it O_o especially after having a crash myself at Christmas!

:eek: Hope everyone was alright?
Cyclists. Most of them think the rules of the road don't apply to them and seem to have some warped superiority complex.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Wrong. Most people will be riding a safe horse or will be good enough to calm the horse if the driver is passing 'wide and slow'. You're probably just driving wrong.

And do you think horses are just born unafraid of cars. They need a good rider to show them that cars aren't scary. So you will get some car-shy horses on the road but if you don't spook them they soon turn into not car-shy horses.

I don't drive, but I often see them getting jumpy if the car is overtaking

so you're wrong :h:

they have no place on the road, if you don't own enough land to ride them on yourself, don't get a horse
they have no place on the road, if you don't own enough land to ride them on yourself, don't get a horse

Nobody has a divine right to the road, everybody shares it, everybody is equally entitled to use it. No one set of road users are more important than another.
Original post by Drewski
Nobody has a divine right to the road, everybody shares it, everybody is equally entitled to use it. No one set of road users are more important than another.

Then horse riders should be charged road tax and have to hold permits for their horses
Then horse riders should be charged road tax and have to hold permits for their horses

There's no such thing as 'road tax'. It's called 'car tax'.
Reply 39
As a pedestrian, I think cars are more annoying than either of them. Cars are more noisy, dangerous and smelly, and when it's raining they splash puddles on me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending