The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chalks
In fact it can look good if you've got experience of totally different firms and their departments. If a candidate has had a placement at a big firm and a small provincial private practice firm, they're far better placed to explain to me why they want to work in the City (for example). They're able to show that they've researched the profession and tried a couple of different things and applied for a TC with the big city firm as a result. It makes it easier to answer the "why us" type questions. Likewise, if you've done a mini-pupillage as well then, far from being a disadvantage, it can show you've considered all options which lends more weight to the decision you've taken.

That's what I was just about to say! I've deliberately chosen to do work experience with a high street firm and even a placement with an in-house legal team, even though I knew I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as the placements I've done at bigger firms. It definitely makes it much easier to explain why I want to do commercial law when I have something to compare it with.
dragon_1706
That's what I was just about to say! I've deliberately chosen to do work experience with a high street firm and even a placement with an in-house legal team, even though I knew I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as the placements I've done at bigger firms. It definitely makes it much easier to explain why I want to do commercial law when I have something to compare it with.

Good luck Dragon :smile: Worked for me! :wink:
ellewoods
Good luck Dragon :smile: Worked for me! :wink:

Thanks! I'm going to my first assessment centre at the end of the month at a firm I'm really keen on, but I'm already really nervous. At least I feel that I'm ok on the 'why us' question now. :smile:
dragon_1706
Thanks! I'm going to my first assessment centre at the end of the month at a firm I'm really keen on, but I'm already really nervous. At least I feel that I'm ok on the 'why us' question now. :smile:

I got sent to an assessment centre for almost a whole day for one firms' vac scheme application process!! If you have any specific questions, PM me :wink: I'm more than happy to try and help :smile:
ellewoods
I got sent to an assessment centre for almost a whole day for one firms' vac scheme application process!! If you have any specific questions, PM me :wink: I'm more than happy to try and help :smile:

Thanks, that's very kind. I'm still waiting for more information about what activities I'll be doing, but once I receive that, I'll definitely PM you. :smile:
My guess you will do some sort of test, perhaps a commercial negotiation, a presentation and/or a pitch followed by an interview, or a combination of those activities, with a few axed out possibly.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
My guess you will do some sort of test, perhaps a commercial negotiation, a presentation and/or a pitch followed by an interview, or a combination of those activities, with a few axed out possibly.

I know what the possibilities are, but I just want to know exactly what I'm preparing for. It's an all day event, so there will certainly be lots of activities and plenty of opportunities to impress... or otherwise! :biggrin: I also have to do an online personality questionnaire beforehand.
Which firm is this for just out of interest if you dont mind saying!
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Which firm is this for just out of interest if you dont mind saying!

Well I doubt it's of much interest, as it's a regional firm based in Cardiff... I've gathered from your posts that you're set on a career in London! :smile:
Actually im not set, but yea I would like to work in London... although I aint too keen on Wales so ur right :biggrin:
Reply 30
I'll be working in London if I pass the LPC. Scared!! :p:
Good luck mate, where you doing the LPC?
Ethereal
I'll be working in London if I pass the LPC. Scared!! :p:

London's fine if you're prepared for it - in fact plenty of people love it! My brother and I both always said we wouldn't live there, but both of us moved there after graduating... I lasted 3 years, but he's still there after about 8.
Lewis-HuStuJCR

What sort of topics are these activities based on? How long are the tests that you are given?
They can be based on absolutely anything mate, they can make up fake companies to pitch for work to, give you a negotiation to do with anything such as a mixed use development (developer vs council), make you present on basically anything and test wise its like LNAT maybe with a numerical bit i guess. I think, not 100% though.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
They can be based on absolutely anything mate, they can make up fake companies to pitch for work to, give you a negotiation to do with anything such as a mixed use development (developer vs council), make you present on basically anything and test wise its like LNAT maybe with a numerical bit i guess. I think, not 100% though.

Do you do any of this work in groups?
superdillon
Do you do any of this work in groups?

From my research on assessment centres so far, it seems that a group exercise is very common and can be to do with absolutely anything. The idea is just to see how people interact, whether they're able to put ideas across, listen to others, compromise, etc. I know some firms also do some sort of in-tray exercise, where they give you a pile of stuff to go through. You then have to put things in order of priority and decide what to do with each one, e.g. a letter in reply.
dragon_1706
From my research on assessment centres so far, it seems that a group exercise is very common and can be to do with absolutely anything. The idea is just to see how people interact, whether they're able to put ideas across, listen to others, compromise, etc. I know some firms also do some sort of in-tray exercise, where they give you a pile of stuff to go through. You then have to put things in order of priority and decide what to do with each one, e.g. a letter in reply.

Hmmm, prioritising things was never my strong point.
Reply 38
chalks

In fact it can look good if you've got experience of totally different firms and their departments. If a candidate has had a placement at a big firm and a small provincial private practice firm, they're far better placed to explain to me why they want to work in the City (for example). They're able to show that they've researched the profession and tried a couple of different things and applied for a TC with the big city firm as a result. It makes it easier to answer the "why us" type questions.

This was the same advice that I was given by a collegue when I was on my gap year. Hence why so far I have worked for a niche firm, high street solicitors, the CPS and an international law firm. I think it has helped me find what type of environment I am most comfortable in xxx.
Yea they normally will have a grp exercise, and as stated they can make any of them in a group, any at all. Except maybe the interview or the test!