The Student Room Group

GCSE A/A* AQA English Lit poetry comparison help?

My teacher hasn't really taught us how to structure our answers for the english literature poetry paper..I'm doing the character and voice cluster and was wondering if anyone who is predicted an A/A* could share on how they would structure their answer? Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What we got told to do is go through the Anthology and write summary paragraphs for the tone, the key points and the structure of the poem. Then, try and compare the poems that have similarities THAT YOU CAN WRITE ABOUT! I find this an easy way to remember as the exam is mainly comparing the poem they give you and another one of your choice. You should structure it by either looking at the comparisons and writing about them for both poems or doing all the comparisons for one and then same for the other and linking them in between. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaNick
This is how I structure paragraphs for English Literature, poetry:

Point 1
Evidence
Primary interpretation
Secondary interpretation
Specific word analysis / tertiary interpretation

Point 2
Evidence
Primary interpretation
Secondary interpretation

Point 3
Evidence
Primary interpretation
Secondary interpretation

The key thing which this achieves is to say as much as possible about one detail in the poem. So you will end up doing lots of close-analysis for three quotations for your points about language in x poem.

You would repeat this structure three times (except for structure/form and sounds/voice it is only necessary to do two of these analytical paragraphs).

So does that structure mainly focus on comparing language? And, what do you mean by primary and secondary interpretation?:colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by mrring
What we got told to do is go through the Anthology and write summary paragraphs for the tone, the key points and the structure of the poem. Then, try and compare the poems that have similarities THAT YOU CAN WRITE ABOUT! I find this an easy way to remember as the exam is mainly comparing the poem they give you and another one of your choice. You should structure it by either looking at the comparisons and writing about them for both poems or doing all the comparisons for one and then same for the other and linking them in between. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thankyou so much:smile: by comparisons do you mean in language, structure and form or in general?
I'm doing this cluster, and the poems my teacher thinks could come up are Hunchback, MLD, Ozy, On a Portrait or Medusa... So yeah quite a long list but yano :tongue: make sure you write about form and structure! They help you access the higher marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by tigergirl8282
I'm doing this cluster, and the poems my teacher thinks could come up are Hunchback, MLD, Ozy, On a Portrait or Medusa... So yeah quite a long list but yano :tongue: make sure you write about form and structure! They help you access the higher marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou! Not many people do this cluster:biggrin: I actually prefer it to others though, I can't stand the Ozymandias though :tongue:
Reply 6
For the poems comparison is key. Think of it like comparing two sports teams: if the question was "Compare the midfield of Manchester City with another team of your choice" you should be using language such as "Manchester City's Yaya Toure did X whilst Liverpool's Stephen Gerrard did Y but to the same effect as X, however Yaya Toure clearly had the most effect as Manchester City won the league" rather than "Manchester City did X, Y, Z. Liverpool did A, B, C"
Original post by Whitney997
Thankyou! Not many people do this cluster:biggrin: I actually prefer it to others though, I can't stand the Ozymandias though :tongue:

It's okay :smile: same, Ozymandias is my worst poem, really hope it doesn't come up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ozymandias is definitely the worst... also hoping Singh Song doesn't come up :s-smilie:
It focuses mainly on language, ie three analytical sections for language devices; two for structure and two for the third category.

The primary/secondary interpretations are just alternative ways of explaining the meaning. So if you're given a quote, you will say "This implies that x because*. Alternatively this could mean y because of*."

hhahahaha good luck finishing the exam on time mate :biggrin: !!
my structure and to be honest, the best structure thats on this thread...

1)Introduce the 2 poems in a very short intro

2) Point for first peom
Evidence for first poem
Briefly explain the evidence
Analyse one word within the evidence (2 interpretations)
Link with second poem (similarily/conversely)
Evidence for second poem
Explanation of evidence for second poem while referring to first poem
Pick out one word and 2 interpretation while linking with interpretations made about first poem
Evaluation: how both poems are similar or different
Further evaluation: Which poem is more effective to the reader

3) do this structure for language, structure and imagery so you should have 3 paragraphs

4) conclusion... breifly sum up all your points and conclude whether the poems were more similar or increasingly different.

Done. A*. 36/36 45 mins max. Move on to section B.
I've done it before no problem. It's all about knowing exactly what to write beforehand, like I do.

mate thats like 9 paragraphs... how many pages do you write?
Let's count:
- introduction
- poem A language devices
- poem B language devices
- poem A structure
- poem B structure
- poem A sound/voice
- poem B sound/voice
- conclusion

8 paragraphs, and considering two of them are introduction/conclusion, that's 6 paragraphs. Roughly 1200 words in total - definitely doable.

oh you split paragraphs between poems so if you combine them, it would make three paragraphs... makes sense. Take a look at my structure, i have included all band 6 criteria including the 'evaluative response' rather than the 'analystical response' in band 5
Let's count:
- introduction
- poem A language devices
- poem B language devices
- poem A structure
- poem B structure
- poem A sound/voice
- poem B sound/voice
- conclusion

8 paragraphs, and considering two of them are introduction/conclusion, that's 6 paragraphs. Roughly 1200 words in total - definitely doable.

oh you split paragraphs between poems so if you combine them, it would make three paragraphs... makes sense. Take a look at my structure, i have included all band 6 criteria including the 'evaluative response' rather than the 'analystical response' in band 5. post 13
So in yours you only make one point about language, one about structure and one about imagery? I always believed you're supposed to try to make 3 points with 3 bits of evidence and their corresponding analysis.

well yeah... it isn't specified. As long as you compare both poems. You can do 2 language and 1 structure to. Not really about how many points you make for each language and structure, its about how you analyse and compare. to be honest, i would struggle to find 3 points for language that is either similar or different to another poem cuz no poem is incredibly the same
Reply 15
Original post by Angelo12231
my structure and to be honest, the best structure thats on this thread...

1)Introduce the 2 poems in a very short intro

2) Point for first peom
Evidence for first poem
Briefly explain the evidence
Analyse one word within the evidence (2 interpretations)
Link with second poem (similarily/conversely)
Evidence for second poem
Explanation of evidence for second poem while referring to first poem
Pick out one word and 2 interpretation while linking with interpretations made about first poem
Evaluation: how both poems are similar or different
Further evaluation: Which poem is more effective to the reader

3) do this structure for language, structure and imagery so you should have 3 paragraphs

4) conclusion... breifly sum up all your points and conclude whether the poems were more similar or increasingly different.

Done. A*. 36/36 45 mins max. Move on to section B.

I prefer this structure! Thanks so much x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are welcome. As long as you use this structure effectively, you will be in mark band 6 for every answer and worst case scenario would be around 34/36. Last year, an A was 34. So even if you leave out the unseen poem, you will still get an A haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are welcome. As long as you use this structure effectively, you will be in mark band 6 for every answer and worst case scenario would be around 34/36. Last year, an A was 34/54. So even if you leave out the unseen poem, you will still get an A haha
Reply 18
Original post by Angelo12231
you are welcome. As long as you use this structure effectively, you will be in mark band 6 for every answer and worst case scenario would be around 34/36. Last year, an A was 34/54. So even if you leave out the unseen poem, you will still get an A haha

For language, structure and imagery what would you talk about? for language - use of irony? emotive vocabularly? individual words?
and for structure - rhyme scheme? stanza shape?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For language, structure and imagery what would you talk about? for language - use of irony? emotive vocabularly? individual words?
and for structure - rhyme scheme? stanza shape?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yepyep, so any technique to do with words is language. Imagery can also be language but language that creates a vivid image in our head e.g. the flaming lava in our hearts. Structure could be line length, stanza length, ryhme, enjambment...

Quick Reply

Latest