The Student Room Group

Is this plagiarism?

If I were to learn an opening to an essay that I could use for English, regardless of the question, and that opening was from an essay that AQA published as an exemplar essay? Obviously I wouldn't be copying anything but I'm still a bit wary
Reply 1
I think it would be ok for you to get ideas from it, structure points ect. but I would definitely stay away from copying anything remotely word for word - especially because AQA published it they are probably going to be ultra aware if you've copied from it. If you are taking anything directly from anywhere - even not word for word but if it sounds too similar I would always state where you got it from. That probably wouldn't work this time, just stay away from copying, instead get ideas and use them in your own way. But on other occasions it's always better to be safe :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by KGV097
I think it would be ok for you to get ideas from it, structure points ect. but I would definitely stay away from copying anything remotely word for word - especially because AQA published it they are probably going to be ultra aware if you've copied from it. If you are taking anything directly from anywhere - even not word for word but if it sounds too similar I would always state where you got it from. That probably wouldn't work this time, just stay away from copying, instead get ideas and use them in your own way. But on other occasions it's always better to be safe :smile:

See that's what I thought, but then if it's the exam itself and you've remembered it, I wonder whether they'd actually mind, because there'll be loads of similarities anyway
Reply 3
Yes, that's plagiarism.
Original post by AdaamCarter
See that's what I thought, but then if it's the exam itself and you've remembered it, I wonder whether they'd actually mind, because there'll be loads of similarities anyway

They might have thought you had brought a copy into the exam room - I once wrote formulae on my wrists ( it was years ago) still feel guilty GCSE is mainly regurgitating stuff anyway
Reply 5

I think they will if it's word for word. I see no problem using a leant formula for the introduction based on one that you have seen but I wouldn't take the risk of them spotting it and minding. Are you doing GCSE or A-level btw?
Reply 6
Original post by KGV097
I think they will if it's word for word. I see no problem using a leant formula for the introduction based on one that you have seen but I wouldn't take the risk of them spotting it and minding. Are you doing GCSE or A-level btw?

GCSE

It won't be word for word
Reply 7
It's only about three sentences long, if that makes a difference
Reply 8
GCSE

It won't be word for word

It should be ok to base it off something you've seen if it's not going to be word for word, just don't make it something too similar. Remember an introduction should ALWAYS relate to the question and the text, if not you won't get any credit for it. Infact, I can't remember about GCSE but at A-level we don't get any extra credit for an an introduction. If you make it relevant it could help your marks, but don't worry about it too much - it's the rest of the essay that matters :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest