The Student Room Group

too much loneliness in uni

Right, I've been reading threads about loads of people being alone, but my story is a bit different.

Basically, I am not antisocial or shy. I speak to absolutely everyone, i try to be as cheerful as possible, I never hardly would say anything bad about anyone. Back home i was the soul of my group.
From day 1 in halls i understood I wasnt going to click with my flatmates. They liked staying in all day; it was my first semester so i wanted to do stuff.
I made friends with exchange students from my halls, it was a pretty brilliant semester, I found a guy too, it was fun.
But when I came back from home I realized that I had to meet more people my age, because all my friends were leaving. But that was hard, since everyone had formed a group.
I even hate the word 'group'. Why is it that people dont see people as individuals? And why dont people give a chance to you? Because they are in their own comfort zone.
AAnyway i moved to another hall because I knew it was more social. That made it even more worse, since there literally people didnt give a ****e about meeting more people, plus it was much more noisier.
Its been so hard waking up and falling asleep alone. I really feel I dont want to come back.
My course; no one really speak to eachother, mainly because its only a few hours a week.
Then I had an offer from 7 people to live with them, I was really happy but at the same time a bit scared, but by the time I said I'd go they'd already signed the lease.
Now there are 2 girls; one I like, one is very, very bossy.
So my point is: I dont want to give up; Ive come from far away for a reason. However, seeing people here work a lot as 'groups' (even societies dont work), I got accepted into halls with another 10 people. I dont know what to do, because if its bad again, I literally dont know what I'll do.
Also, in the end of the day, I think I was the one not giving chances to people. I mean my old flatmates werent anything like me, but they were nice people. Basically saying I might have messed up things, and I dont know whats best now.
Go in with an open mind that groups ARE flexible and try to make more of an effort. Like you say, give people a chance.

I found joining societies helpful - perhaps you need to try some other societies if those didn't work for you?

Looks like you can make a fresh start in halls again assuming you will be meeting 10 new people who also don't know each other.
Reply 2
Original post by elizayu
Right, I've been reading threads about loads of people being alone, but my story is a bit different.

Basically, I am not antisocial or shy. I speak to absolutely everyone, i try to be as cheerful as possible, I never hardly would say anything bad about anyone. Back home i was the soul of my group.
From day 1 in halls i understood I wasnt going to click with my flatmates. They liked staying in all day; it was my first semester so i wanted to do stuff.
I made friends with exchange students from my halls, it was a pretty brilliant semester, I found a guy too, it was fun.
But when I came back from home I realized that I had to meet more people my age, because all my friends were leaving. But that was hard, since everyone had formed a group.
I even hate the word 'group'. Why is it that people dont see people as individuals? And why dont people give a chance to you? Because they are in their own comfort zone.
AAnyway i moved to another hall because I knew it was more social. That made it even more worse, since there literally people didnt give a ****e about meeting more people, plus it was much more noisier.
Its been so hard waking up and falling asleep alone. I really feel I dont want to come back.
My course; no one really speak to eachother, mainly because its only a few hours a week.
Then I had an offer from 7 people to live with them, I was really happy but at the same time a bit scared, but by the time I said I'd go they'd already signed the lease.
Now there are 2 girls; one I like, one is very, very bossy.
So my point is: I dont want to give up; Ive come from far away for a reason. However, seeing people here work a lot as 'groups' (even societies dont work), I got accepted into halls with another 10 people. I dont know what to do, because if its bad again, I literally dont know what I'll do.
Also, in the end of the day, I think I was the one not giving chances to people. I mean my old flatmates werent anything like me, but they were nice people. Basically saying I might have messed up things, and I dont know whats best now.

What university are you at? And what course are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending