The Student Room Group

So hungry all the time!

Scroll to see replies

Eat peanut butter, I do it that way to suppress my hunger, a dessert spoon is enough, not so much but just 2 or 3 times a day.

Original post by suzannataylor
I said that I don't want to lose weight, that's exactly what I don't want!
Oh. Shows how little I read of your OP.
Original post by WGR
Crackers, green tea, chicken salad? Lol you sound like some diet obsessed middle-aged woman. Eat whatever you want OP so long as you eat a range of foods and stick to your calorie limits.

A chicken salad provides a perfect balance of protein, nutrient and vitamins, especially if some crushed nuts/beans are added.

Green tea - as well as being a healthy antioxidant - can help seal away hunger - which is one of the issues the OP is having (didn't you read her post?). Crackers go really well with tea and provide a satisfying crunch - this is mainly for enjoyment, but if sesame/nut crackers are eaten, it'll also provide great nourishment.

Don't give stupid advice.

You were the person who said never to calorie count. How would the OP stick to her calorie limit without calorie counting? How absurd.
So I bought some protein powder as I don't really eat any meat. It says on the packet to mix it with water but I thought this was kinda gross. Could I put milk with it? Any other tips? Thank you :smile:

The reason it tells you to mix it with water is because protein powder is usually consumed right after exercise, when your body best absorbs protein. Mixing it with water quickens absorption.

By all means, you could mix it with milk. There's no reason why not.

To be honest, you don't really need the protein powder. Just drink milk and get your protein from whole foods - that's infinitely better than getting protein from supplements, due to the nutrients and fibre you'd be getting from the whole food. Protein powders are for people whose intense exercise requires more protein than they could consume through whole food.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kagutsuchi
The reason it tells you to mix it with water is because protein powder is usually consumed right after exercise, when your body best absorbs protein. Mixing it with water quickens absorption.

By all means, you could mix it with milk. There's no reason why not.

To be honest, you don't really need the protein powder. Just drink milk and get your protein from whole foods - that's infinitely better than getting protein from supplements, due to the nutrients and fibre you'd be getting from the whole food. Protein powders are for people whose intense exercise requires more protein than they could consume through whole food.

Thanks! I wasn't planning on drinking it every day, just after a work out. I just thought it might help as I am nowhere near the amount of protein I should be consuming. But if you guys think it's a bad idea I won't get it again, I only bought a small packet.
Reply 25
Original post by Kagutsuchi
A chicken salad provides a perfect balance of protein, nutrient and vitamins, especially if some crushed nuts/beans are added.

Green tea - as well as being a healthy antioxidant - can help seal away hunger - which is one of the issues the OP is having (didn't you read her post?). Crackers go really well with tea and provide a satisfying crunch - this is mainly for enjoyment, but if sesame/nut crackers are eaten, it'll also provide great nourishment.

Don't give stupid advice.

You were the person who said never to calorie count. How would the OP stick to her calorie limit without calorie counting? How absurd.

Whatever, it's rabbit food. I am trying to dispel the myth that you must eat bland rabbit food to lose weight.

Please explain why my advice to eat whatever you want so long as it isn't over your calorie limits is "stupid advice"?

I manage it. Eat smaller and smaller portions until you start to lose weight and stick with that. If you're eating home cooked food mostly you should be roughly aware how many calories are in each item by then. I lost 6 lb in the past 2 weeks, No idea how many calories I took in, didn't even do much exercise all I did was slash carbs until I started dropping weight.
Original post by WGR
Whatever, it's rabbit food. I am trying to dispel the myth that you must eat bland rabbit food to lose weight.

Please explain why my advice to eat whatever you want so long as it isn't over your calorie limits is "stupid advice"?

I manage it. Eat smaller and smaller portions until you start to lose weight and stick with that. If you're eating home cooked food mostly you should be roughly aware how many calories are in each item by then. I lost 6 lb in the past 2 weeks, No idea how many calories I took in, didn't even do much exercise all I did was slash carbs until I started dropping weight.

I'm not trying to lose weight, I've said so many times!
Reply 27
So I started going to the gym a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to lose weight, I just want to feel fitter and healthier and build a little strength. I work out for about an hour three times a week, mostly running on the treadmill but also cycling and lifting some weights.
Since I have been going I have been so hungry all the time, even after eating. I am quite a small person (5'5", size 8-10, 9 stone) and I'd like to stress that I eat well and I always have. Lots of beans, pulses, fruit, veg, eggs, fish. I don't eat loads of meat but I'm not a vegetarian.
Am I hungry because I've just started exercising? and what can I do to help with that? As I've said, I don't want to lose weight but nor do I want to put on a lot of weight so I'm reluctant to stuff my face all the time but I really hate feeling hungry. I'm surprised this has had such an effect as although I do work hard when I'm in the gym, it's not like I'm in there a lot.

I know this sounds daft but fill up on low calorie fresh food like spinach, cucumber etc. as a starter before your main meal and you will not feel like eating as much and be filled up too!
I have been eating loads of cucumber because of the hotel weather as it is really cooling and low calorie...:biggrin:
Reply 28
I'm not trying to lose weight, I've said so many times!

Oh sorry! What are your aims? Bulking. In that case lift heavy and eat more is all I can say really.
Original post by Lakesx
I know this sounds daft but fill up on low calorie fresh food like spinach, cucumber etc. as a starter before your main meal and you will not feel like eating as much and be filled up too!
I have been eating loads of cucumber because of the hotel weather as it is really cooling and low calorie...:biggrin:

Good idea, thank you!

Original post by WGR
Oh sorry! What are your aims? Bulking. In that case lift heavy and eat more is all I can say really.

I want to improve my general fitness and build some muscle. I don't want to get super muscly but I do want to build muscle. It seems like everyone assumes I want to lose weight because I'm a girl haha.
Reply 30
Good idea, thank you!

I want to improve my general fitness and build some muscle. I don't want to get super muscly but I do want to build muscle. It seems like everyone assumes I want to lose weight because I'm a girl haha.

Yeah that was kinda why, sorry. Do both cardio and weight but alternate between days because they can interfere with each other
Original post by WGR

I didn't know rabbits had a monopoly on healthy eating.

Original post by WGR

One word: nutrition. Just start thinking. You don't need people to explain every little thing to you.

Original post by WGR

So you had an awareness of how many calories you took in - so you knew roughly how much each part of you what you eating amounted to and added it together, roughly. So you counted and added. So you calorie counted. There. That is calorie counting. Now stop telling me about yourself and read the opening post.

The OP isn't seeking to lose weight. She says so in the first line of her opening post:

I don't want to lose weight, I just want to feel fitter and healthier and build a little strength.

Original post by WGR

Maybe you could do the decent thing and actually read the OP's post before replying?

Or do you also think people shouldn't read, as well as count now?:mmm:
Original post by B_Boy_Turco
Eat peanut butter, I do it that way to suppress my hunger, a dessert spoon is enough, not so much but just 2 or 3 times a day.

Will definitely do this. That peanut butter looks so nice!
Thanks! I wasn't planning on drinking it every day, just after a work out. I just thought it might help as I am nowhere near the amount of protein I should be consuming. But if you guys think it's a bad idea I won't get it again, I only bought a small packet.

If you're seriously training your muscles off, then you should probably consume the required amount of protein (whether that be in whole food or shakes form - though as I said, whole food is better if you can get it) in order to aid recovery. Your muscles recover on rest days after all - they still need protein to do so. :smile:

Know what's better than a protein shake if you're not a serious athlete or doing some serious muscle building? Blending together milk, fruit and nuts/oats. :smile: Drink that after your exercise. It's healthy and nutritious! It's an easy way to get some of your 5 a day too.

People who can't bother to read your opening post assume you're trying to lose weight - really, people shouldn't reply to a thread if they can't bother to read what the thread is about...

I hope you get your hunger issue sorted out. The post I read about the low calorie pre-meal/starter snack is really good actually (dunno why I never thought of that). Carrot/cucumber sticks with a small pot of hummus? :smile:

With regard to just wanting to feel fitter, you might want to set in some sort of fitness plan - it doesn't need to be hugely strenuous, since your aim is just feeling fitter. I know you didn't specifically ask for this, but something like this would do:

Monday - Cardio
Tuesday - Resistance Training
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Cardio/HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
Friday - Resistance Training
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Mix it up from time to time! Maybe do your cardio in the form of a badminton match or something like that. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest