The Student Room Group

Struggling to urinate

Since the weekend I have had problems urinating. It just won't come out easily. There is no sign of infection at all in my urine. A doctor in A&E told me it was due to constipation.

Can anyone tell me when it will go back to normal? I have been able to 'go' recently, and am able to wee when I 'go', but still struggling the rest of the time. It has improved somewhat in that if I push quite a bit I can wee when I need to, whereas at the weekend I couldn't. But I am just wondering how long it will take to go back to normal, and I don't want yet another trip to the hospital/GP (it's taken 4 so far to find this out).

Thought someone on here might know, I had no idea constipation can stop urine flow but you learn something new every day!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Since the weekend I have had problems urinating. It just won't come out easily. There is no sign of infection at all in my urine. A doctor in A&E told me it was due to constipation.

Can anyone tell me when it will go back to normal? I have been able to 'go' recently, and am able to wee when I 'go', but still struggling the rest of the time. It has improved somewhat in that if I push quite a bit I can wee when I need to, whereas at the weekend I couldn't. But I am just wondering how long it will take to go back to normal, and I don't want yet another trip to the hospital/GP (it's taken 4 so far to find this out).

Thought someone on here might know, I had no idea constipation can stop urine flow but you learn something new every day!

Have you tried drinking lots of water?
Reply 2
Original post by meenu89
Have you tried drinking lots of water?

Of course. That was making it worse initially as I was drinking a lot and nothing was coming out. But now it is coming out, it just takes ages to fully feel relieved e.g. around 20 minutes.
Reply 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urethral_stricture
I had the exact same symptoms and this is what I had. Had to have an operation. Bring it up with your doctor before you can't pee at all. Very painful experience.
Reply 4
Original post by WGR
I had the exact same symptoms and this is what I had. Had to have an operation. Bring it up with your doctor before you can't pee at all. Very painful experience.

I had a UTI two weeks ago but it's getting much better. None of the GPs I've seen have mentioned this :/
Reply 5
Also I am on an antibiotic for kidney infection as one GP thought it was this? So will that make it better?
Reply 6
Original post by WGR

Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking? I am worried now. But I have been getting better since Sunday. Sunday I went to do a wee only once, now I am going 5/6 times a day and sometimes it is almost normal. So I am hoping I am just inflamed from the constipation (which is also getting better).
Reply 7
Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking? I am worried now. But I have been getting better since Sunday. Sunday I went to do a wee only once, now I am going 5/6 times a day and sometimes it is almost normal. So I am hoping I am just inflamed from the constipation (which is also getting better).

Male. Mine got better and worse and better and worse for like 2 years before it stopped completely and I had to be rushed to A&E for emergency catheterization (they stick a tube up your penis). It was grim. Go to your doctor and bring it up with him, ask for an ultrasound to confirm. It's easily treated with surgery.
Reply 8
Original post by WGR
Male. Mine got better and worse and better and worse for like 2 years before it stopped completely and I had to be rushed to A&E for emergency catheterization (they stick a tube up your penis). It was grim. Go to your doctor and bring it up with him, ask for an ultrasound to confirm. It's easily treated with surgery.

I'm female and the internet tells me the thing you had is rare in women. It does sound awful though, a GP on Tuesday recommended I have a catheter but I declined. Since then I am weeing much, MUCH more and more easily, so I'm glad I didn't have it!

This is the only time it has happened, I am able to wee if I have gone to the loo the other way atm. It is getting better and I've been to four GPs about it this week, one said it was a kidney infection and the last one said it's constipation. Which seems right as I hadn't been for a while, and now I am going again, I think it's getting better. Just wondering how long it will take to go completely back to normal as he didn't mention this!
Reply 9
I'm female and the internet tells me the thing you had is rare in women. It does sound awful though, a GP on Tuesday recommended I have a catheter but I declined. Since then I am weeing much, MUCH more and more easily, so I'm glad I didn't have it!

This is the only time it has happened, I am able to wee if I have gone to the loo the other way atm. It is getting better and I've been to four GPs about it this week, one said it was a kidney infection and the last one said it's constipation. Which seems right as I hadn't been for a while, and now I am going again, I think it's getting better. Just wondering how long it will take to go completely back to normal as he didn't mention this!

Ok well stay vigilant.
it was due to constipation.
I just want to point out to the above posters that although a urethral stricture is a cause of urinary retention - it is not something that is really consistent with the OPs history here. It's not exactly common, and is something that presents following something else like a sexually transmitted infection or urethral trauma. Demanding an ultrasound is certainly not the way to go, leave the diagnosis to the professionals that are treating the OP. Constipation, however is a common cause and it sounds like symptoms are improving with treatment of that which is very reassuring (urinating 5-6 times a day is pretty normal), and I hope you manage to stay well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
I just want to point out to the above posters that although a urethral stricture is a cause of urinary retention - it is not something that is really consistent with the OPs history here. It's not exactly common, and is something that presents following something else like a sexually transmitted infection or urethral trauma. Demanding an ultrasound is certainly not the way to go, leave the diagnosis to the professionals that are treating the OP. Constipation, however is a common cause and it sounds like symptoms are improving with treatment of that which is very reassuring (urinating 5-6 times a day is pretty normal), and I hope you manage to stay well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I have been really worried about needing an operation. I didn't go as much yesterday, only when I managed to do a poo. No stand alone wees. And I have had four laxative tablets through the course of the week, none of which have given me diarrhoea as they usually would. I'm guessing I could just be very bound up? I have just had a load of prune juice (disgusting, I almost vomited but hopefully it'll work) just wondering how long I should leave it before I go back?
Original post by VictorKLee
it was due to constipation.

It's still ongoing though. I can only wee if I have recently done a poo and my bladder doesn't fully feel empty, I'm not sure. Just wondering how long it will/might take as I have finals in the next fortnight
eat more fibre? like grains and wheat and such
Original post by chukster97
eat more fibre? like grains and wheat and such

I am doing this atm, I'm trying to give myself diarrhoea to see if once I'm cleared out that's still the problem but nothing is working.

I just managed to go after the prune juice, and lots of wee came out too. So I am hopeful it's just constipation. Now I just need to work out how to clear that...
Thank you, I have been really worried about needing an operation. I didn't go as much yesterday, only when I managed to do a poo. No stand alone wees. And I have had four laxative tablets through the course of the week, none of which have given me diarrhoea as they usually would. I'm guessing I could just be very bound up? I have just had a load of prune juice (disgusting, I almost vomited but hopefully it'll work) just wondering how long I should leave it before I go back?

It sounds like you need to be having laxatives regularly until this problem resolves rather than just now and then (sorry if I've misread that), so make sure you do so you can clear up anything that's all bunged up, make sure you drink plenty of water and keep yourself moving.
It sounds like you need to be having laxatives regularly until this problem resolves rather than just now and then (sorry if I've misread that), so make sure you do so you can clear up anything that's all bunged up, make sure you drink plenty of water and keep yourself moving.

The laxatives didn't actually work. I took Dulcolax twice a day, two days in a row. Then I switched to Andrews salts as I found this works quicker. Then the prune juice today. These things are making me go but no diarrhoea. Can you recommend me which is best? I don't think I can drink the prune juice again, I was very nearly sick (as in bile came up, not just being immature about it). I am drinking lots now but it only comes out really when I poo which is quite uncomfortable.
The laxatives didn't actually work. I took Dulcolax twice a day, two days in a row. Then I switched to Andrews salts as I found this works quicker. Then the prune juice today. These things are making me go but no diarrhoea. Can you recommend me which is best? I don't think I can drink the prune juice again, I was very nearly sick (as in bile came up, not just being immature about it). I am drinking lots now but it only comes out really when I poo which is quite uncomfortable.

Did your doctor recommend you any laxatives in particular or prescribe you any? Dulcolax isn't really the best as it doesn't soften your stools, rather just makes your gut work harder. You don't necessarily need prune juice for fibre intake, you can get plenty from cereals such as bran, fruit and vegetables and avoiding things like loads of starch and red meats. This may be worth another trip to the GP to discuss ways of treating any contipation and they may be able to prescribe something more appropriate.
Did your doctor recommend you any laxatives in particular or prescribe you any? Dulcolax isn't really the best as it doesn't soften your stools, rather just makes your gut work harder. You don't necessarily need prune juice for fibre intake, you can get plenty from cereals such as bran, fruit and vegetables and avoiding things like loads of starch and red meats. This may be worth another trip to the GP to discuss ways of treating any contipation and they may be able to prescribe something more appropriate.

No he didn't. What happened was, this was the 4th trip to the hospital (I went twice for the out of hours GP, once to my usual GP at uni, my Mum brought me home as I felt awful and took me straight to A&E). Whilst at the hospital I went to the toilet quite a lot, and he said "We'll put this down to constipation". I think he thought that was the end of the problem but it has carried on, so nothing has been recommended etc. Are bran flakes suitable? I tried All Bran but it was vile and I don't really want to add sugar. What kind of products involve starch?

Thank you for your help, I have been told it was a) nothing and to go home, b) a potentially life-threatening kidney infection, c) that I needed a catheter urgently and then d) constipation. So it has been quite a nightmare and nearly gone on for a week. Since using the laxative things it has got better but as I haven't had diarrhoea I don't feel like I'm cleared still and it's getting annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest