The Student Room Group

Why do ppl feel the need to pretend that they don't enjoy music by certain artists?

Scroll to see replies

I've never been bothered about admitting to a type of music, even though my taste in music used to be shocking.
Original post by McIronside
I've never been bothered about admitting to a type of music, even though my taste in music used to be shocking.

I think we all have music from childhood we'd like to pretend we didn't listen to! After all Bob the Builder was number 1 at one point back in the day!

Also welcome to the forums!!

For me I have no shame in admitting I like music which I don't think is "good" music but is still fun to listen to! It's why I'll listen to One Direction from time to time and stuff, although I actually don't enjoy Justin Bieber's music.
Reply 22
Maybe because... they don't like it? Lady Gaga sounds like absolute total ****e to my mind, total and utter tedious noisy crap and no scientist is going to tell me otherwise.

If you like pop music that's fine but if you think for a second that it is on par with real music (you know, music that was actually written by the artist, with original lyrics, and instrumentation) then you are simply an idiot.

Also, it's no coincidence that people that stick up for pop on this site almost always write like primary school children. Pop music isn't 'artistic' it is industrial. It has nothing to do with creativity, it has even less to do with individuality (it isn't the consumer that creates the megastars, it's the producers that mold them into something that they already know will be hugely popular). You aren't an idiot for liking it or listening to it, but to pretend that it is about creativity then you are a total and complete moron.

Frankly I wish people would stop lumping pop music in with all other types of music, there is zero to link, say The Beatles, with anything that is currently in the charts. They are not the same thing - they are part of something entirely different.
Because some people, gosh, actually have reasonable taste and don't listen to such mind numbing, obvious, manufactured ****e. Some of us actually appreciate music as more than just a few seconds escapism. Is that so hard to understand? Similarly, some of us prefer to make love than to masturbate, despite the fact that the pleasures of masturbation is more accessible and easy to enjoy.
I like one direction's music. Not so much lady Gaga
Original post by Jjj90
Maybe because... they don't like it? Lady Gaga sounds like absolute total ****e to my mind, total and utter tedious noisy crap and no scientist is going to tell me otherwise.

If you like pop music that's fine but if you think for a second that it is on par with real music (you know, music that was actually written by the artist, with original lyrics, and instrumentation) then you are simply an idiot.

Also, it's no coincidence that people that stick up for pop on this site almost always write like primary school children. Pop music isn't 'artistic' it is industrial. It has nothing to do with creativity, it has even less to do with individuality (it isn't the consumer that creates the megastars, it's the producers that mold them into something that they already know will be hugely popular). You aren't an idiot for liking it or listening to it, but to pretend that it is about creativity then you are a total and complete moron.

Frankly I wish people would stop lumping pop music in with all other types of music, there is zero to link, say The Beatles, with anything that is currently in the charts. They are not the same thing - they are part of something entirely different.

That's not true. The Beatles are most certainly pop. Yes, they write their own music and play their own instruments live but when it boils down to it, the music itself is similar to chart music today. Extremely easily accessible, catchy chorus and most importantly a Verse, Chorus, Verse structure. That is a pop song.

Pop music culture is entirely different though and that seems to be what you're talking about in reference to how corporate some pop music is.

Take the recent Coldplay album for example. Bar a few songs, it's basically an electro-pop album with songs such as magic and A Sky Full Of Stars as examples. Whilst you could say that sonically, Coldplay are more interesting and slightly less predictable, it's still pop but just slightly more innovative. However, there seems to be a huge row over liking Coldplay and then liking One Direction, which is silly.
Here's a wild idea instead of people 'pretending' to not like certain artists could it be that as human beings we all have different tastes and preferences and so people like different things? I don't go around telling people that they are pretending to hate Slipknot just because I listen to them.
Original post by FishLover
Why is it that people just can't admit the fact that they do in fact like and enjoy that song by Lady Gaga or One direction. Objectively you might think that the lyrics is craps or the music is not fresh but why deny that you enjoy singing along and dancing to these tracks. I read an article about a study in which scientist tried to predict future pop hits by hooking people up to fMRI machines and they saw that the pleasure centres of the subjects brain lit up a lot when hit pop songs were played but when the subjects were asked how much they enjoyed the track, they tried to down play how enjoyable they found it. I also saw one of those 'Kids react to videos' on YouTube and this little girl was calling some classmates of hers lame because they liked a One Direction video and her criticism sounded so fake and forced. She seemed pretentious and I felt sad for her because she was already trying to pretend to be 'cool' at such a young age. I found the girl who admitted that she liked the song but wouldn't rabidly follow the band much more honest and she seemed to be actually enjoying herself and being a kid. I don't understand why people judge other people based on musical taste and also choose to pretend that they don't enjoy some thing just because it's not 'cool'. I also don't understand it when fans get all outraged about perceived plagiarism even after the original artist come out and declares that it's not plagiarism.

Obviously I know that there are people who genuinely might not enjoy mainstream pop and I'm not talking about them. ok this post has become a little rant-y but I stand by the points I've made

TRUST me I totally understand what you mean. I hate One Direction but I still sing along to them, same with Justin Bieber. I admit when I like a song by someone I think is crap. People lie to feel acceptance. It's like on twitter, I follow loads of people with similar music taste to me and they post "I hate the 1975" but they probably listen to them on spotify private session. People are dumb.. I value anyone that can admit they like a "mainstream" song and not feel ashamed
Reply 28
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
That's not true. The Beatles are most certainly pop. Yes, they write their own music and play their own instruments live but when it boils down to it, the music itself is similar to chart music today. Extremely easily accessible, catchy chorus and most importantly a Verse, Chorus, Verse structure. That is a pop song.

Pop music culture is entirely different though and that seems to be what you're talking about in reference to how corporate some pop music is.

Take the recent Coldplay album for example. Bar a few songs, it's basically an electro-pop album with songs such as magic and A Sky Full Of Stars as examples. Whilst you could say that sonically, Coldplay are more interesting and slightly less predictable, it's still pop but just slightly more innovative. However, there seems to be a huge row over liking Coldplay and then liking One Direction, which is silly.

I disagree, The Beatles were part of a musical phenomena, modern pop music is a financial phenomena. There are similarities but they are poles apart. They are different things, just as my shopping list wouldn't be considered 'modern literature'.
Original post by Jjj90
I disagree, The Beatles were part of a musical phenomena, modern pop music is a financial phenomena. There are similarities but they are poles apart. They are different things, just as my shopping list wouldn't be considered 'modern literature'.

If you're talking from a pop music culture point of view, then yes, I certainly agree. The Beatles did influence many other bands and did not have the same financial motive as some current pop groups have currently. However, from a strictly musical point of view, there really isn't too much different between The Beatles and modern pop apart from instrumentation and this was what I was referring to.

Also, your shopping list is unlikely to have the structure of modern literature like stanzas or rhyming patterns or even suggestive meaning behind it. I think of it as the Mona Lisa. A painting that everyone can appreciate and like and all pop music is doing is painting the Mona Lisa in the exact same way, but with different colours and styles. That's ultimately how I see pop with their very similar characteristics. The same structure, accessible, may vary sonically but hold the same foundations.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm proud to admit Lady Gaga is my favourite artist of all time :tongue: don't understand the shame in liking her; she's a very talented woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ennit Lady Gaga's sick mate ngl
I don't pretend to dislike music, I either like something or I don't. I do tend to be overly critical of a lot of modern acts though purely because their fans hold them to such a high standard. Like when people make blanket statements calling someone "one of the best of all time" after 3 decent albums or saying someone is a "great songwriter" for pumping out generically structured songs with meaningless lyrics, I feel compelled to pull them up on it.

My favourite one at the moment is "Jake Bugg's songs really make me think" ... if that's the case then the entire concept of thought probably isn't usually your cup of tea.

Quick Reply

Latest