The Student Room Group

Is AAAB at AS Levels acceptable when applying to Oxford?

I am currently doing my AS examinations and I can't stop thinking about the possibility of getting a B in English literature. I am fairly hopeful of getting 4 As, and think I can get As in my other subjects, but would getting that B in English ruin my chances of a strong application?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be better for you to get an A, certainly, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. In any case, worry about that if it happens and just try your best to get 4 As :smile:
well why don't you try looking at the entry requirements?'
And good luck :smile:
Reply 3
What subject are you applying for?
Depends on the subject but well worth applying I'd say!
Original post by Jmisteradams
I am currently doing my AS examinations and I can't stop thinking about the possibility of getting a B in English literature. I am fairly hopeful of getting 4 As, and think I can get As in my other subjects, but would getting that B in English ruin my chances of a strong application?

What do you wish to read at Oxford? Obviously a B in English Lit isn't great if you wanna study English Lit :tongue:
I'm doing media and film studies, I think I'll get a c in film studies and merit in media, but I'm doing new a.levels next year, which.are, sociology,psychology and health and social I wish to study psychology if I get AAA or Aab would I.get in? Or would my other a.levels jepodize my.place
Original post by Troytheboy
I'm doing media and film studies, I think I'll get a c in film studies and merit in media, but I'm doing new a.levels next year, which.are, sociology,psychology and health and social I wish to study psychology if I get AAA or Aab would I.get in? Or would my other a.levels jepodize my.place

Tbh, you haven't chosen the best subjects to support your application. See this table here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/table-entrance-requirements

Whilst sciences and maths are only highly recommended, I'd be quite surprised if you got an offer with those subjects.

Generally speaking, those with AAB do not get in. Also the offer for Psychology (Experimental) is A*AA :yes:
I applied with AABC from my first year (ended up with AAAB after January retakes, though of course that was too late!) and got an interview. As other people have said, it depends what subject you're applying for (I was a Human Sciences applicant, which isn't the most competitive course) but I can't see why it would be a disadvantage in itself as long as all other parts of your application are strong.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tbh, you haven't chosen the best subjects to support your application. See this table here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/table-entrance-requirements

Whilst sciences and maths are only highly recommended, I'd be quite surprised if you got an offer with those subjects.

Generally speaking, those with AAB do not get in. Also the offer for Psychology (Experimental) is A*AA :yes:

Awh man, what do you advise I take? And also, do you think these subjects would be suitable for mental health nursing course then? Thanks for help btw
Original post by Troytheboy
Awh man, what do you advise I take? And also, do you think these subjects would be suitable for mental health nursing course then? Thanks for help btw

I'd suggest that if you're considering mental health nursing too, then maybe your heart is not in it enough for Psychology (Experimental) at Oxford. It's a very science-y (as opposed to social science) course.

I imagine you might need to do Biology and maybe even Chemistry for mental health nursing but I really don't know enough about it to say for sure.

Ask your school's careers adviser :smile:
I got AAABB and have an offer for Law :smile:
Original post by james22
What subject are you applying for?

I am hoping to apply for law this coming year. My other A Level subjects are chemistry, maths and economics. :smile: I'm also considering neuroscience if I was to go down the science route, both areas are fascinating and I really do not mind which, just going to try and get as much work experience as I can over summer and make up my mind but atm the law course at oxford is amazing and it would be amazing to have a shot there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I got AAABB and have an offer for Law :smile:

Ah that is awesome, thank you!! I'm also hoping to study law there, the course looks amazing. Congratulations on the offer btw!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am hoping to apply for law this coming year. My other A Level subjects are chemistry, maths and economics. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case, work towards smashing the LNAT! :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
In that case, work towards smashing the LNAT! :yes:

Thank you so much, for all of your input! I really appreciate it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No
This is oxford we are talking about nothing but the best will do
This isnt some 2bit london uni trying to play with oxbridge
Not entirely true...

I know a girl who got AABC at AS who got an interview at Oxford last year. Mind you, she was predicted A*A*A and dropped the subject she got a C in, but I think predicted grades matter more than AS ones.
Original post by James222
No
This is oxford we are talking about nothing but the best will do
This isnt some 2bit london uni trying to play with oxbridge

I got an offer with an AAABB.

It's funny because I have exactly the same concern, even though I'm not taking my exams until next year. I just don't quite click with the English Lit like I do my other subjects.

I used to think AAAB would spell disaster, but from what I have read it actually doesn't, especially if you are predicted to go on and get an A. Obviously it can depend on what you are applying for - for me it wouldn't matter as much because I want to study History.

Basically, there are plenty of other ways to make up for any possible disadvantage that comes with a B in English.

Obviously, though, somebody who is actually at Oxford may be more accurate!

Quick Reply

Latest