Lamellae and Thylakoids???

What is the difference between a Lamellae and a thylakoid?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tillsy
What is the difference between a Lamellae and a thylakoid?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soo the thylakoids are the disc-like structures, a stack of them is a grana. The lamellae are tubular extensions which join up with thylakoids in adjacent grana. So basically the lamellae are bridges between thylakoids in different stacks.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Tappouni
Soo the thylakoids are the disc-like structures, a stack of them is a grana. The lamellae are tubular extensions which join up with thylakoids in adjacent grana. So basically the lamellae are bridges between thylakoids in different stacks.

Hope that helps :smile:

It says in my A2 textbook that the granum is a stack of Lamellae :/ it's really confusing me cos then it says the grana are stacks of stacks of flattened membrane compartments called thylakoids?!

I know the intergranal Lamellae are the connection thingys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Tillsy
It says in my A2 textbook that the granum is a stack of Lamellae :/ it's really confusing me cos then it says the grana are stacks of stacks of flattened membrane compartments called thylakoids?!

I know the intergranal Lamellae are the connection thingys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like that's wrong in your textbook :tongue: In mine (AQA A2) it says grana are stacks of thylakoids in a chloroplast, and is the site of the light-dependent reaction.

A thylakoid is a series of flattened membranous sacs in a chloroplast, that contain chlorophyll and the associated molecules needed for the light-dependent reaction :smile:
Reply 4
Sounds like that's wrong in your textbook :tongue: In mine (AQA A2) it says grana are stacks of thylakoids in a chloroplast, and is the site of the light-dependent reaction.

A thylakoid is a series of flattened membranous sacs in a chloroplast, that contain chlorophyll and the associated molecules needed for the light-dependent reaction :smile:

I'm doing OCR :s-smilie:

Just confused about what you would call it, especially since ocr are so picky in their mark schemes!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Tillsy
I'm doing OCR :s-smilie:

Just confused about what you would call it, especially since ocr are so picky in their mark schemes!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Picky mark schemes are very frustrating :mad: So, in reply to your original question of what the difference between them is, I suppose you could say that thylakoids are arranged in stacks, called grana, whilst lamellae just link between the stacks?
Reply 6
I do OCR - this bit in the textbook is terrible. Especially the diagrams.

I am also confused - guess it could be a mistake in the textbook?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JonnyD

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA don't do it in much detail - you need to know about the light-dependent and independent reactions (inc. the electron transport chain etc..), but as for where it all occurs, it's just a tiny paragraph saying what thylakoids are, and that they contain chlorophyll...also mentions that lamellae exist :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by JonnyD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think it might be. I keep rereading it, I think (could be wrong) that Lamellae refers to how the inner membrane is folded and the actual membrane compartment thing is the thylakoid?? Potentially?! I've emailed my teacher so I'll let you know what he says :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
AQA don't do it in much detail - you need to know about the light-dependent and independent reactions (inc. the electron transport chain etc..), but as for where it all occurs, it's just a tiny paragraph saying what thylakoids are, and that they contain chlorophyll...also mentions that lamellae exist :tongue:

That's pretty much the same as ours :smile: we only know that electrons travel down the electron transpot chains and release eneergy in the form of ATP as they do so, the ATP is then used to pump the hydrogen ions from the stroma into the thylakoid space :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lammella is a 'stack' of a granum. Five of them result in a granum. The membrane of the granum is the thylakoid which is responsible for photosynthesis.

EDIT: I have changed my comment, as I have misunderstood the question of the thread starter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

I see. That is really a very helpful image to clearify the context. It helped me to realize my mistake. Thanks to you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Ok I think my book might be wrong :/ the poster above the bit that is highlighted to be the lamella, in my book it calls that the intergranal lamella...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Tappouni is correct.As far as I know Thylakoids are in stacks in the Chloroplasts known as Grana (singular Granum) and Grana can have a lot, up to 100 Thylakoids stacked up and the Thylakoids are where the Chlorophyll is in the Chloroplast. The Lamella are also in the Grana and they are additions to the Thylakoids, they join Thylakoids together with that of adjacent Grana. Although they are nothing really alike, I remember this by thinking of the Lamella similar to the Plasmodesmata joining the Cytoplasm of plant palisade cells which is under the topic of Transpiration I believe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by JK1011
Tappouni is correct. As far as I know Thylakoids are in stacks in the Chloroplasts known as Grana (singular Granum) and Grana can have a lot, up to 100 Thylakoids stacked up and the Thylakoids are where the Chlorophyll is in the Chloroplast. The Lamella are also in the Grana and they are additions to the Thylakoids, they join Thylakoids together with that of adjacent Grana. Although they are nothing really alike, I remember this by thinking of the Lamella similar to the Plasmodesmata joining the Cytoplasm of plant palisade cells which is under the topic of Transpiration I believe. Depending on your exam board, if you're doing AQA I'm pretty sure this is in the spec for Unit 2 AS.

Oook thanks this is really helpful!! No unfortunately I do OCR A2 but I wish I did AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Oook thanks this is really helpful!! No unfortunately I do OCR A2 but I wish I did AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh trust me you'd hate AQA haha. Normally the exams are filled with data analysis for the most part, with a little bit of biology, and incredibly picky mark schemes, which are, to say the least, frustrating :mad:
Reply 17
Oh trust me you'd hate AQA haha. Normally the exams are filled with data analysis for the most part, with a little bit of biology, and incredibly picky mark schemes, which are, to say the least, frustrating :mad:

Really?? I do aqa chem and I think the course is brilliant!
With ocr the stuff is interesting but there is so much to learn :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
It's true, it's filled with data analysis. I personally hate AQA Chemistry but love AQA Biology.
Original post by Tillsy
Really?? I do aqa chem and I think the course is brilliant!
With ocr the stuff is interesting but there is so much to learn :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA Biology really isn't that great :s-smilie: I think last year's longer paper kinda showed that...it was absolutely full of graph analysis, had some Biology, but not as much as I thought it would...I was surprised that I got an A* in the mock we did a short while back...only needed 67/100 for an A*!

Yeah I do OCR Salters Chemistry...covers stuff in good detail, papers are better in that they've actually got a lot of content...but I get the same problem of there being so much to learn :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending