The Student Room Group

Ocr Biology Higher, B1,B2,B3 exam 19th may

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lowhigh
WOW!!:eek:
I've had countless people explain this to me and i didnt get it. Now from one reply it all makes sense!
You.Are.Amazing.

Please continue, this is making sense.:awesome:

Aha, that's good to know - *says an aspiring teacher*

These neurones however have a certain way of transmitting impulses from one neurone to the next. Obviously, they don't just jump, they have to have a certain way of transmitting these impulses. Well, between these neurones, there is a gap, called a synapse. When an impulse is travelling along a neurone, it causes a neurotransmitter substance to be released and diffuse across the synapse, and it binds to the receptor molecules of the next neurone.

Wait, wait wait - receptor molecules? These are parts of the neurone where the neurotransmitter substance can attach to (bind to). Once it does this, the impulse can continue :biggrin:

Sometimes, people can drink alcohol or take sleeping tablets. These are depressants, but how do they work? Well, these depressants bind to the receptor molecules, hence meaning that less neurotransmitter substance can diffuse across the synapse (as it won't have anything to attach to).

Stimulants have the opposite affect: they cause more neurotransmitter substance to diffuse across the synapse, which means that the impulse travels faster. This is why your reaction time is faster.

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg can someone help me i'm stuck on B3 :frown:
Original post by ChloBrown98
Omg can someone help me i'm stuck on B3 :frown:

What topic? This is why I said we should organise a Skype call so we can revise and work on weaknesses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
What topic? This is why I said we should organise a Skype call so we can revise and work on weaknesses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meiosis and mitosis and like haploid and diploid cells :frown: And ikr does anyone have oovoo?

These neurones however have a certain way of transmitting impulses from one neurone to the next. Obviously, they don't just jump, they have to have a certain way of transmitting these impulses. Well, between these neurones, there is a gap, called a synapse. When an impulse is travelling along a neurone, it causes a neurotransmitter substance to be released and diffuse across the synapse, and it binds to the receptor molecules of the next neurone.

Wait, wait wait - receptor molecules? These are parts of the neurone where the neurotransmitter substance can attach to (bind to). Once it does this, the impulse can continue :biggrin:

Sometimes, people can drink alcohol or take sleeping tablets. These are depressants, but how do they work? Well, these depressants bind to the receptor molecules, hence meaning that less neurotransmitter substance can diffuse across the synapse (as it won't have anything to attach to).

Stimulants have the opposite affect: they cause more neurotransmitter substance to diffuse across the synapse, which means that the impulse travels faster. This is why your reaction time is faster.

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi can you please go over all of B2 and 3 please? like the heart and mitosis, meiosis, cloning
Original post by ChloBrown98
Meiosis and mitosis and like haploid and diploid cells :frown: And ikr does anyone have oovoo?

If you want to revise, add me and we can: kingaaran

Basically, every cells has a number of chromosomes. Humans have 46 chromosomes (or 23 pairs), which come from your mother and your father. This number is called the diploid number.

Haploid means half and that is the number of chromosomes a gamete (sex cell) will have. Why? Well, a sperm and an egg need to fuse together to produce a cell with 46 chromosomes, so if they had 46 already, they'd end up producing one with 92 chromosomes - which is not what we want.

Mitosis is a process by which we can grow - it's called cell division. However, since different cells need either the diploid number of chromosomes or the haploid number, we need two processes: mitosis is one and meiosis is the other.

Mitosis is for normal cells and meiosis makes gametes. The way I remember it is that mitosis happens in 'my toes', and hence produce normal cells, hence meiosis must happen to produce gametes.

If mitosis produce normal cells, these all have to be diploid cells, as they are not going to combine with anything else to get any more or any less chromosomes. They have to be genetically identical too, otherwise you might end up with white skin growing over brown skin, for example. On the other hand, meiosis produces gametes, and remember these have to be haploid, as they are going to fuse with another gamete during fertilisation. However, these have to be non-identical otherwise there would be no variation: your siblings, if you have some, would look exactly like you.

The reasoning behind it is a whole other post, aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kandykissesxox
hi can you please go over all of B2 and 3 please? like the heart and mitosis, meiosis, cloning

I can't type all of that :redface:, but if you Skype me, I'll explain it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't type all of that :redface:, but if you Skype me, I'll explain it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

can we Skype? like voice call
can we Skype? like voice call

Yes, add me and we can Skype at like 8:45?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, add me and we can Skype at like 8:45?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok what is your Skype?
ok what is your Skype?

kingaaran

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok i've sent you a request
I've sent you a request too
Reply 33
anyone got the past paper for jun 2009, majorly stressing out for tomorrow!!
Reply 34
anyone have any past papers and mark schemes, i'm panicking massively about tomorrow and could do with the practice?
Your nervous system is made up of two parts: the Central Nervous System and the Peripheral Nervous System. The first is your brain and your spinal cord and the latter refers to the part of the nervous system that takes impulses to and fro the CNS.

There are different types of nerve cells (neurones) that you need to know about:

Sensory neurones - the clue is in the name: sensory. They are the neurones that detect a smell, taste, touch or whatever and take it to the CNS.

Motor Neurones - these are neurones that carry what the brain or spinal cord tells the cell to do back to the cell, if that makes sense.

So, in general, when you think about something, this is what will happen:

Stimulus (urge to close the door) --> sensory neurone --> CNS --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by closing the door)

Sometimes, you might not think about an action, like touching a hot pan. This is called a reflex. Since you don't think about it, it won't go to your brain, but it does go to your spinal cord, so that the impulse can attach to a motor neurone going back to tell the cell what to do. This is what would happen:

Stimulus (hot pan) --> sensory neurone --> relay neurone --> motor neurone --> effector (hand muscles, by moving your hand away)

You're probably wondering where the 'relay neurone' came from, right? This is a neurone which connects the sensory neurone and the motor neurone in the spinal cord, so that the impulse doesn't have to go to the brain, and you don't have to think about it.

Let me know if you get that, then I'll continue :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lowhigh
WOW!!:eek:
I've had countless people explain this to me and i didnt get it. Now from one reply it all makes sense!
You.Are.Amazing.

Please continue, this is making sense.:awesome:

can you teach me b1-b6 please love you

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely..
I'm actually confident about the exams now.
Thank you so much
EXAM PAPER, HERE I COME!
The exam was so easy!!! Apart from a few things that weren't in my revision guide it went well! How did u do?
Original post by Swirly123
The exam was so easy!!! Apart from a few things that weren't in my revision guide it went well! How did u do?

It was quite good, but I messed up on a few questions, by silly mistakes. For example, saying 'Antartica' as I didn't read the question :tongue: But overall, it was good

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did y'all find it? I thought the 6 mark questions were a godsend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending