The Student Room Group

What does it feel like to exercise to exhaustion?

A bit of background is needed for this question. I have a disorder of my middle ear which basically means that I have no perception of balance from there (I constantly feel motion in my middle ear, like just coming off a violently spinning roundabout or fairground ride, although my body has learned to ignore this sensation over the years so I am not affected by it directly, and I balance myself through my feet and eyes).

Anyway, for various reasons, I have never really done any exercise at all my whole life, so I'm very unfit (normal weight due to a carefully controlled diet, but unable to run even 200m).

I would love to start getting fit, so I've set aside some time in my day and have got started with some gentle jogging. The problem is, I very soon start feeling sick and have to stop. Now, I know that it is possible to exert yourself to the point of being sick, but I'm not convinced that that's happening because although I do have to work hard, and feel a bit tired afterwards, I don't really feel absolutely destroyed. I've got a suspicion that instead I'm just getting motion sickness (which I'm extremely susceptible to), and I might have to try something other than jogging.

So basically my question is this: for an extremely unfit person, how hard is to work to the point of being sick? Is it absolutely horrendous work, the sort where you have to push your body past anything you think is possible, and then even further, or can an extremely unfit person get sick pretty easily?

Thanks a lot.
In your middle ear? How many ears do you have?
Original post by President Snow
A bit of background is needed for this question. I have a disorder of my middle ear which basically means that I have no perception of balance from there (I constantly feel motion in my middle ear, like just coming off a violently spinning roundabout or fairground ride, although my body has learned to ignore this sensation over the years so I am not affected by it directly, and I balance myself through my feet and eyes).

Anyway, for various reasons, I have never really done any exercise at all my whole life, so I'm very unfit (normal weight due to a carefully controlled diet, but unable to run even 200m).

I would love to start getting fit, so I've set aside some time in my day and have got started with some gentle jogging. The problem is, I very soon start feeling sick and have to stop. Now, I know that it is possible to exert yourself to the point of being sick, but I'm not convinced that that's happening because although I do have to work hard, and feel a bit tired afterwards, I don't really feel absolutely destroyed. I've got a suspicion that instead I'm just getting motion sickness (which I'm extremely susceptible to), and I might have to try something other than jogging.

So basically my question is this: for an extremely unfit person, how hard is to work to the point of being sick? Is it absolutely horrendous work, the sort where you have to push your body past anything you think is possible, and then even further, or can an extremely unfit person get sick pretty easily?

Thanks a lot.

Hi :smile:

It doesn't sound like this is exercising to the point of exhaustion, having been there, it's absolutely awful, you feel damn dreadful for ages afterwards. Sounds like motion sickness to me.

It might be that you are over working though as diagnosing over the internet isn't possible... you might find the NHS programme "couch to 5k" useful, which starts you off slowly in running. :smile:

Original post by NathanDYEL
In your middle ear? How many ears do you have?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=middle+ear
Original post by Angry cucumber

It doesn't sound like this is exercising to the point of exhaustion, having been there, it's absolutely awful, you feel damn dreadful for ages afterwards. Sounds like motion sickness to me.

It might be that you are over working though as diagnosing over the internet isn't possible... you might find the NHS programme "couch to 5k" useful, which starts you off slowly in running. :smile:

Thank you very much for your help here. I just wanted to check.

Also, thanks a lot for the link. I hadn't come across that before, and will definitely get reading. I haven't really got much clue to be honest, so some plans and advice would be really useful. That looks like a great place to start.

Thank you again.
If you have balance issues and think you are getting motion sickness, why don't you try using a piece of static gym equipment, like a bike or a rowing machine?
Original post by Angry cucumber

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=middle+ear

:wink:
I'm not sure about all the middle ear stuff but people coming off the rowing machines after a 2k test are regularly sick all over the place.

Other stuff that will completely destroy you includes a 5k test, 6.8k test, 30minutes flat out or 24miutes UT2 with a 2k finish.

Although if you're just starting out, it's really a good idea to build it up and not exhaust yourself untill you have some proper base fitness, like running 10k at a good pace without stopping etc.

Quick Reply

Latest