The Student Room Group

If you could choose to get rid of racism or homophobia in society, which would it be

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Homophobia definitely. At least where I live I've never witnessed any racism, though I've seen some horrific homophobia at my school.
Racism purely because I'm selfish as I'm affected by that but I'm not affected by homophobia.

Because clearly (looking at the responses of this thread), homophobia needs to be tackled as homophobia is almost seen as acceptable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marcum
I know you accept homosexuals, I read your post. I'm also not trying to change your views, I am genuinely interested why you are uncomfortable in the presence of homosexuals.

I'm not comfortable in the stereotypical homosexual who feels the need for the world to know what they are, and the stuff they do that makes people aware of that. Homosexuals who are like normal people that just get along with their lives I have huge respect for. I'm not comfortable with males kissing each other purely of the fact I'm not used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slade p
racism of course, how can you even ask such a question. race is simply how people were made naturally,so no one should be abused for it and is a much bigger problem while homosexuality is a choice ,its unnatural, and many people see it as immoral.

Homosexuality isn't a choice. Even the Catholic Church admits that.
Original post by boxed treasures
i turned bi fairly recently.

Will you turn straight next?
Reply 85
Original post by llamaspoon

I think it is. Justified by the guy whose "now an ex gay because he turned bi recently" it's all pick and choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86

no, u can't get away with saying that, and the church only says that so they don't look intolerant and people won't criticize them.

people are not born gay, that's totally b.s, but they may become gay for environmental reasons and the experiences they had growing up.
Original post by EastGuava
Will you turn straight next?

doesn't matter, ill just embrace my hetero side.
Original post by slade p
no, u can't get away with saying that, and the church only says that so they don't look intolerant and people won't criticize them.

people are not born gay, that's totally b.s, but they may become gay for environmental reasons and the experiences they had growing up.

If it's due to environmental factors, why are there sets of siblings who have the same upbringing, but only one of them is gay?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4

start at 2:35 if you want to truly see the extent of homophobia
Reply 90
Original post by Jakebarker1605
I'm not comfortable in the stereotypical homosexual who feels the need for the world to know what they are, and the stuff they do that makes people aware of that. Homosexuals who are like normal people that just get along with their lives I have huge respect for. I'm not comfortable with males kissing each other purely of the fact I'm not used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said "Homosexuals who are like normal people", implying they abnormal and are merely conforming to heteronormative ways? In which case your claim that you accept them is refuted.

I'm a homosexual and I'm not stereotypically 'gay', I'm not sure as to why you would you have huge respect for me when you do not know me. I don't have huge respect for people based on their sexuality, I have respect for the things they have achieved and coped with, but to have respect for a characteristic they have no control over is merely preposterous.
Original post by uxa595
Racism.
In regards to homophobia, I don't want to gay bull**** adverts adverts all over the place. They love to show they're gay and I hate it; don't see black people putting out a "I'm black, get over it" advert.

Racism is taught IMO. Homophobia is inherent as it's unnatural.

If there were no homophobia, they'd have no reason to do that.

Having said that, I'd say racism; both are equally bad but at least people can hide their sexuality, the same cannot be said about their skin colour.
You can hide your sexuality but not your race, so i'd end racism. Besides loads more people are affected by it.
Original post by Mr...
I think that homophobia is already disappearing but racism is likely to be immortal because it is the fist thing you notice about a person so i would say racism. Only because I believe it is easier to get rid of homophobia with all the laws an whatnot.

Homophobia is still extremely common outside Western Nations. It's nowhere near disappearing.
Original post by louieee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4

start at 2:35 if you want to truly see the extent of homophobia

Russia is a very homophobic country. That's an extreme if homophobia

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand the people on this website who are saying that being gay is a choice. How the hell would you know? Did you choose to be gay yourself? What about all those gay people that say it's not a choice? Are they just lying?

If anyone would know, it would be the straight people rather than actual gay people right?

:hmpf:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by H-SEA
They shouldn't even be comparable. Racism most definitely, it is a far bigger issue whereas homophobia isn't as such. Plus I feel your sexuality is definitely a social construct anyway. Whereas you are born with your race.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Race is a social construct as well - racial groupings have no genetic backing.

If it's due to environmental factors, why are there sets of siblings who have the same upbringing, but only one of them is gay?

No-one has an identical upbringing, hence why identical twins have (often very) different personalities.

Original post by slade p

Whether or not they are born that way is irrelevant to any discussion. Only whether it is changeable in adulthood is really relevant (although not really, because it shouldn't matter regardless).
Reply 97

environmental reasons and experiences, their not going to be together 24/7.
Original post by HeisenbergWW
I would say homophobia.

In my opinion I think racism is actually becoming a thing of the past, whereas homophobia is very, very common.

I have never witnessed a real act of racism, but I have witnessed many homophobic acts aimed at people I know.

I disagree with what you said about racism becoming a thing of the past. There is a lot of racism in the UK itself but it's just not as outright as homophobia. People actually think its acceptable to say, 'oh i think its unnatural' where as I've never encountered a person saying, 'i think its unnatural to be black'. With stuff like bullying and more obvious attacks, I think homophobia is worse. But racism exists at a sort of unconscious level a lot of the time, but even at that level it makes a huge difference, especially when money is involved. So even though I've never seen racism (as an Indian girl) in a school environment (with an exception of some name calling in an argument in like yr 5 but that was purely because we were in the middle of an argument), beyond school and in the workplace its a completely different story.
Original post by jellybanana
I don't understand the people on this website who are saying that being gay is a choice. How the hell would you know? Did you choose to be gay yourself? What about all those gay people that say it's not a choice? Are they just lying?

If anyone would know, it would be the straight people rather than actual gay people right?

:hmpf:

Well actually they should really. Because really what straight person would ever choose to be gay? They wouldn't because you enter a world where you're more likely to be bullied, you're criticised for being unnatural, less choice when it comes to partners and a host of other disadvantages. So knowing that, why do straight people think that gays had a choice?

Edit: I sound like I'm a gay person, but I'm not so really I don't have much of a clue as to you what you guys experience but I certainly wouldn't ever choose to be gay.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending