The Student Room Group

Reported for having no train ticket

Please close thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know for certain but I'd be really surprised if they gave you anything more than a fine for a first time minor offence like this. I definitely wouldn't expect a criminal record. Down here they say it's a £20 fine but I very rarely see it enforced, most ticket inspectors are happy to just let you buy one when you leave the station. So I'm thinking you'll definitely get a fine but probably not a huge one, and they'll just warn you that if you do it again there's a possibility of prosecution.
Original post by locksher
I don't know for certain but I'd be really surprised if they gave you anything more than a fine for a first time minor offence like this. I definitely wouldn't expect a criminal record. Down here they say it's a £20 fine but I very rarely see it enforced, most ticket inspectors are happy to just let you buy one when you leave the station. So I'm thinking you'll definitely get a fine but probably not a huge one, and they'll just warn you that if you do it again there's a possibility of prosecution.

They really will prosecute for a first offence. I take on board that it depends on station but the reality is I would not be surprised if this escalated. I saw on the news that ticket evasion costs millions of pounds to the rail industry a year, and they are looking to combat this with strict deterrence.
My friend did the exact same thing as this as was fined £320. He was on a longer train journey, so maybe that had something to do with the fine, as well as he received some form of grief from the transport police - though I can't remember exactly what this was.
OP learn your lesson.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBigJosh
My friend did the exact same thing as this as was fined £320. He was on a longer train journey, so maybe that had something to do with the fine, as well as he received some form of grief from the transport police - though I can't remember exactly what this was.
OP learn your lesson.

Yeah as I said, this isn't about learning my lesson, I know that. It's just about what will exactly come of it. Was your friend just required to pay up the fine, or did he have to go to court?
Reply 4
Me and my friends were fined once because we genuinely hadn't noticed that a new self-serve ticket thing had been installed. We were initially fined around £50 I think, but it turned out that the machine was broken anyway so we were refunded minus the ticket price. No mention of anything close to court unless we refused to pay in the first place.
Original post by lucyjacobs89
Yeah as I said, this isn't about learning my lesson, I know that. It's just about what will exactly come of it. Was your friend just required to pay up the fine, or did he have to go to court?

To my knowledge he was made to pay the fine then that was the end of it. So it was prosecution through a fine. My overall point here is just be careful, whereas they used to turn a blind eye or dole out small fines, now they are becoming much stricter.
Reply 6
Original post by TheBigJosh
To my knowledge he was made to pay the fine then that was the end of it. So it was prosecution through a fine. My overall point here is just be careful, whereas they used to turn a blind eye or dole out small fines, now they are becoming much stricter.

I see, thank you for your reply.
Reply 7
Tbf if there are no personnel and it says 'sorry pay at destination' then is OP even in the wrong? I mean the ticket desk is usually on the opposite side of the exit barrier, so you would have to walk through it anyway...

I think it is unlikely he will be given any more than a warning or minor fine for this.
Reply 8
Original post by lucyjacobs89
That's not the case here, I could have paid prior to my journey (but didn't as was a little rushed), then I could have seeked out a staff member on the train, and then at the station I get off at, there's at least 3 exits, two of which are never manned (apart from this time), the other being the one where the tickets are sold.

Ah ok fair enough. Well I think theft is something you don't have to have intention for to be guilty of, legally speaking (I'm basing this off layman A Level knowledge)

I hope it goes well. It is still unlikely you have to go to court, seems drastic for first offense.
Reply 9
Original post by Riku
Ah ok fair enough. Well I think theft is something you don't have to have intention for to be guilty of, legally speaking (I'm basing this off layman A Level knowledge)

I hope it goes well. It is still unlikely you have to go to court, seems drastic for first offense.

Yeah, I have no intention to say "It's not my fault", I just would rather pay up a fine than have to go to court, and potentially get a criminal record.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending