The Student Room Group

Curley Of Mice and Men

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by saeranee
-Fate (You can't choose your skin colour)
-Racism (obvious)
-Prejudice/discrimination (None of the characters really talk to him to try to get to know him, except Lennie

I haven't really studied him but i guess you could bring in context by talking about how he has Lennie and their relationship or perhaps morals? (him killing Lennie) erm you could take about the concept of the American Dream as well

sorry if this isn't helpful, i don't know much about George
Original post by ddiimmaa123
You seem like a helpful person, what's the second book that you're doing? I'm doing The Crucible, any ideas on that? :smile:

Hey, I am doing The Crucible and Of Mice and Men too. In the higher paper, Abigail has never come up before, so it could possibly be a question about her tomorrow. Also, for Of Mice and Men, Curley has never come up, but neither has anything about the setting (how the book starts and ends in the same place), so it is likely a question related to that may come up :smile:

With The Crucible though I think there will be at least one decent question that isn't too bad to answer as you get a choice of two and with all the other past questions about the play, there has been at least one nice one :smile:
i posted about this earlier. My teacher is useless and honestly hasnt given us enough info but earlier i watched videos on youtube which anaylses absolutley everything and helps you to get an A* in english lit. Is this cheating if i copy the ideas used?
Original post by SunDun111
i posted about this earlier. My teacher is useless and honestly hasnt given us enough info but earlier i watched videos on youtube which anaylses absolutley everything and helps you to get an A* in english lit. Is this cheating if i copy the ideas used?

No of course not, thats just being resourseful and doing everything you can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katherine27
No of course not, thats just being resourseful and doing everything you can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so copying the interpreations that mrbluff and other youtubers use isnt cheating? if so yey!

what video did you watch haha!
so copying the interpreations that mrbluff and other youtubers use isnt cheating? if so yey!

Haha no because they are there for you to use and you don't know definitely what will come up so you can't cheat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27

Which youtubers/videos are helpful? My teacher is awful and I need help ASAP hahaha
Reply 28
Hi,
has anyone got any ideas/points about Carlson?
Original post by cara789
Which youtubers/videos are helpful? My teacher is awful and I need help ASAP hahaha

Mr Bruff is one of the most commonly known ones, however i haven't found his OMAM videos very useful and he has a A* Analysis on Curley but is charging for it..
Reply 30
Another possible character that may come up is Carlson. With the theme Euthanasia.
does anybody have any quotes/ideas about euthanasia in OMAM?! I have no quotes that could relate to it or any analysis.. :frown:
Original post by cara789

his name is dominic salles and his video on inspector calls is 'everything you need to know on an inspector calls' dominic salles is his youtube name. Its like 48 mins long and is done in a lesson and he kinda gives out clear a* interpreations.
What would you say about Slim??!?!?!?!?
Curley:

1)A young guy who thinks he's always in a boxing ring with others e.g.: he likes to pick fights with bigger guys because he feels threatened as Steinbeck has mentioned him as a LIGHTWEIGHT boxer

2) The connotation of curly's tightly curled hair can be compared to as a spring e.g: when you put pressure on the a spring and it bounces back right up with force e.g: when curley feels threatened from the bigger built guys such as lennie he tries to project his power so that no one see's where he lacks....

Talk about the contrast of masculinity (build,muscles) and power(status , money , wealth)

theres sooooooooooo much u can say about curley
Original post by Hermione98

you can say how everyone in the ranch looks up to him and therefore he has the power of respect whereas curley has power in status ... somet like dat
Reply 36
Original post by Hermione98

Slim

Slim & Power/Status
- Steinbeck described him as "prince of the ranch"
- When first introduced he was described as a (respectable) leader "when he had finished combing his hair he moved into the room, and he moved with a majesty only achieved by royalty and master craftsmen"
- From the beginning he was portrayed as royal and noble
- Everyone on the ranch knew that Slim had power
- Even Curley followed Slim's orders
- "he moved with a majesty only achieved by royalty." his mere manner makes him seem almost like a king
- When George and Lennie first see Slim - "…There was a gravity in his manner and a quiet so profound that all talk stopped when he spoke. His authority was so great that his word was taken on any subject, be it politics or love…" he was well respected because of his authority on the ranch

Slim & Curley's Wife
- Slim's fit and healthy, meaning he attracts the attention of Curley's Wife - she addresses him by name, and he calls her "good lookin'"
- Unlike the rest of the ranch workers, he's not afraid of Curleys Wife - he gives her the attention she so desperately wants, demonstrating that he's not afraid of Curley too

Slim & Other Stuff
- He was a brave and noble character
- Always there at every key event in the novella - he helps make sure that what is done is merciful or right
Reply 37
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226

On this thread there are some useful notes about the characters in Of Mice And Men

Many people will have seen them though, so the ideas may become so common in exams that the examiner may not see them as "exploratory" and they may therefore not be A* answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does everybody mean when they say about euthanasia within of mice and men? :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending