The Student Room Group

Would you rather be unemployed but have a home or be employed but are homeless?

which is better?
Reply 1
unemployed and have a home. Assuming I'd recieve some sort of benefits to keep me running whilst I look for a job.
unemployed and have a home. Don't think there's even a question there...
Unemployed and have a home, no brainer.
Reply 4
Unemployed with a home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm unemployed but got a home and it's perfectly ok.

Also, it's very hard to get a job without a permanent address so are we talking living-on-the-streets homeless or temporary-accommodation/kipping-on-a-friend's-couch homeless?
Unemployed with a home, ofc. The government are so generous with benefits nowadays that I doubt it'd be that hard to survive so long as I had a roof over my head and I was getting money off of society (I don't really, actually want to live on the dole lol). I read that one family got about £60,000 a year somewhere... absurd.
Unemployed and have a home :smile:
Reply 8
I would rather be employed and homeless because I can always steal a house but cant steal a job

Original post by malena123
Unemployed with a home, ofc. The government are so generous with benefits nowadays that I doubt it'd be that hard to survive so long as I had a roof over my head and I was getting money off of society (I don't really, actually want to live on the dole lol). I read that one family got about £60,000 a year somewhere... absurd.

unless they have disabled kids in the family the cap is 24,000 including housing benefit. Most people on benefits struggle to make ends meet.
Reply 9
Original post by James222
I would rather be employed and homeless because I can always steal a house but cant steal a job

How does one go about stealing a house? I mean like, yea you can break in and throw the people out the window, but I think it would be very difficult to stay there. We have police in this country.
Original post by cBay
How does one go about stealing a house? I mean like, yea you can break in and throw the people out the window, but I think it would be very difficult to stay there. We have police in this country.

never stay in one place longer than 7 days. Pick houses based on those available for short term rent on holiday home websites. Keep tabs on Police Radio etc
The Police are never going to raid a house with emergency response ,they will probably do a casual enquiry in the evening.

It can be done
Unemployed but have a home.

I can be actively seeking employment, and always do volunteer work in the mean time to add something to my CV.

But if you were employed but homeless, you can't be making very much in that job.
Original post by James222

unless they have disabled kids in the family the cap is 24,000 including housing benefit. Most people on benefits struggle to make ends meet.

Oh right, I didn't realise that. I have read somewhere that people are scamming the government.
Original post by malena123
Oh right, I didn't realise that. I have read somewhere that people are scamming the government.

Some people can commit fraud which is illegal and they go prison if caught but fraud happens all over the . economy not just public services. Many people also dont realise they are entitled to some forms of benefits(mainly reduced taxes)and forget to claim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7144127/16bn-worth-of-benefits-unclaimed-every-year.html

Quick Reply

Latest