Reply 60
Hey there!
Can I still join you?
Reply 61
Original post by Rala
Hey there!
Can I still join you?

Sure, everyone's welcome!

Have you got any preferences about what we start with (ideally something shortish, but it doesn't really matter)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I join too?!

How about Wuthering Heights.
Reply 63
Original post by Luckshmitha
Can I join too?!

How about Wuthering Heights.

Sure! I haven't read Wuthering Heights yet, which is exactly what I was hoping to change with this group. It can definitely go on the list. A lot of people said they'd prefer to start with something shorter, so it might be better to leave it for a bit. The Brontes, Austen, Gaskell etc aren't known for short works, but they certainly exist (Sanditon is a good example).

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about John Steinbeck's The Pearl? Perhaps also The Picture of Dorian Gray, I guess it's not too long (and I've been looking to give it a read for a while.)
Reply 65
Original post by Arithmeticae
How about John Steinbeck's The Pearl? Perhaps also The Picture of Dorian Gray, I guess it's not too long (and I've been looking to give it a read for a while.)

I like the sound of TPODG - I read The Importance of Being Earnest only a couple of days ago, and I was really hoping to read some more Wilde. It'd probably be a two-week job at very least, though. What does everyone else think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
I love Oscar Wilde, I'm all for The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Importance of Being Earnest.
Reply 67
Original post by Angury
I love Oscar Wilde, I'm all for The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Importance of Being Earnest.

Perhaps the latter might be better, it's quite a bit shorter (but still a bona fide classic).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
In order to get things moving, shall we just get through The Importance of Being Ernest this week and see how things go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like a good plan! Such a great text!
Reply 70
Suggestions...well Im now almost done with the Iliad and Id love to read Odysseia so Im gonna suggest that. But really anything goes : D
Also I think that the list will expand as we go on so why wont we just pick one and get the thing started? : )

EDIT:// the blind mouse I am, I didnt see the Importance of being Ernest thingy. Ive read it already but its such a great thing I will gladly read it again. Sounds like a plan! Do we have a deadline?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
Shall we try and finish for a week today? It isn't massively long, only about 100 pages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I think a week will be more than enough ^^
Are we having discussion about it nex Saturday?
Reply 73
Original post by Rala
I think a week will be more than enough ^^
Are we having discussion about it nex Saturday?

How about as we go along? I suppose people read at different rates though.

(I know a week is probably a little excessive, but it's just an acid test to see how much time everyone has to spare.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
I think as we go would be the best option yes. Cant wait to get to discuss about it with you! English isnt my first lang I usually got no one to dicuss literature with.
(And please dont consider me as a half-wit if I write something stupid :') )
Reply 75
Original post by Luckshmitha

Original post by Angury

Original post by sarcastic-sal

Jalal Uddin

Original post by GuanyinBuddha

Original post by clever_swine

Original post by edgarcats

Original post by Arithmeticae

So I think the plan is set - Let's read the Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, by next Saturday if possible! It's so nice when a plan comes together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
So I think the plan is set - Let's read the Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, by next Saturday if possible! It's so nice when a plan comes together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will google for a pdf version v.soon! Thanks.
Reply 77
How's everyone doing? I just have the third act to go. If nothing else it's endlessly quotable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Reply 79
Ah well, what do you think? I personally found the play very funny and witty and sarcastic. Wilde is very good with words but I think that all his characters talk in the same way. I will write more soon as Im on mobile but any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending