The Student Room Group

Fiesta ZS first car? Any other ideas?

I'm looking at getting my first car soon, and was thinking a MK6 Fiesta ZS. My budget is around 2500-4000. I want something that looks cool and won't cost a bomb on insurance. I'd love a Corsa D limited edition but they're out of budget. All it will be for is college commuting, and driving friends around etc. Would a ZS make a good first car, despite it's larger engine (1.6)? Can anyone think of anything better for me?

Also any ideas of what insurance company to go with? Direct line are cheap on a ZS, 2600 but they don't allow mods to my knowledge, as I'll probably want to put new alloys and a sound system in. I tried Adrian Flux but they were 4k+
I've got a 3 door Corsa SXi; spacious, sports seats/wheel, large cabins and lovely to look at.

Generally cheap on road tax per year but not sure about insurance, I've got quoted £1,250 for my first year insurance but I'm not modding so will pick Direct Line.

Best thing is to try comparethemarket.com!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks man, mind me asking how much it was? That's an awesome quote, I tried Comparethemarket but my cheapest quote without a blackbox was 2800 :O I'd love a corsa but can't really find any nice looking ones in my budget
Original post by SteveKeith
Thanks man, mind me asking how much it was? That's an awesome quote, I tried Comparethemarket but my cheapest quote without a blackbox was 2800 :O I'd love a corsa but can't really find any nice looking ones in my budget

Mine was £5,500 there abouts but it did have good mileage etc. Look around on motors.co.uk and autotrader.co.uk for cars for sale in your area. Get an idea of prices etc.

It does help though that I'm 22 next week, so my age does help even though it's my first car etc.

It's a lovely motor!

Reply 4
That looks gorgeous! Your insurance is really good, on a 1.2 Corsa my insurance would be around 1800. They look nice but I'd really like the special edition one, just need to find one for under 4.5k now. These are the ones I like 81733552.JPG
Original post by SteveKeith
That looks gorgeous! Your insurance is really good, on a 1.2 Corsa my insurance would be around 1800. They look nice but I'd really like the special edition one, just need to find one for under 4.5k now. These are the ones I like 81733552.JPG

I was looking at cars that were out of my budget, nearly £7,000 and I couldn't find the extra £5/700 to reach that price.

Had to compromise by getting something else I liked and I just so happened to find the right car, love it. Narrowing things down really isn't a good thing. Originally I wanted the SE with the half leather seats and black facia, 10/11 plate with low mileage... just couldn't be done on my budget.

Next best was the SXi, it's an 09 plate, but only had one owner before me and had only done just over 17,000 miles. You just have to wait for the right bargain to appear, takes time, trust me.
Reply 6
I'll have to do that. I think as much as I would love a Fiesta ZS, the insurance is just too much. How do you find the Corsa 1.2 to drive? and like reliabilty and stuff?
Saving money is better in the long run, I've found that out myself.

It's a lovely car, nice to drive generally and it can pick up speed pretty quick on the motorway. Smooth around corners too! If you don't drive like a maniac it give out good MPG, doesn't cost that much to keep the tank filled either. If you're looking for a bit more power then the 1.4 will be better, going on longer journeys daily then a 1.3 is even better but for a runaround town kinda of thing the 1.2 is good! :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks, theres lots of dual carriageways and windy country roads where I live, so I may go for the 1.4. The lower insurance is great on a corsa, would just need to find one I like.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forms.php?do=form&fid=88

Hey, if you want even better feedback have a look at the form linked and try and answer those questions. This will give us more information to help us to help you.
Reply 10
Will do, thanks

What is your budget?
What is going to be the main use of the car?
College and driving friends around
How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
How big a boot do you need?
Just enough for backpacks
Specific tasks you will be doing?
None
Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
Nothing girly, just want something that looks sporty. Definitely 3 door hatch
What features in the car are important to you?
Aux port
What gearbox do you want?
Manual
Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes
Special requirements?
None
What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
I just bought a 14 plate fiesta zetec yesterday as my first car and I've been quoted £472 for insurance from direct line. I'm a 21 year old female and I'm sitting my test this week. If I end up failing my test and have to pick the car up without a full license, I've been quoted £514 insurance. I would definitely go for a fiesta if you can find one within budget, they're great cars.
Reply 12
They do seem very nice, I don't think I can afford the new styles, like 08 onwards, but I may be able to afford the older style. Due to massive insurance I'm tempted to go for a corsa

Quick Reply

Latest