The Student Room Group

Insurance is so damn expensive

I am almost 17 and thinking of buying a car (my parents are encouraging me to in fact, as they don't want me to get a motorbike:rolleyes:)

But what really bugs me is how much the insurance would be, Now my parents pay around £300 a year together and my dad has a 8 years NCB, we live in a nice area and the car is in a locked garage so their insurance is quite cheap.

If you add me the insurance quotes jump to £6,000 and I was wondering why it was such a big difference since so many people here say their insurance is ~£1000.

Also are their any companies that specifically do cheap insurance for students, cos I'm not forking out around half of my yearly wage for insurance
Reply 1
What car is it? If it's anything above a 1.2 then that may explain why its so high
Reply 2
Original post by Y333EEE
What car is it? If it's anything above a 1.2 then that may explain why its so high

On both cars Renault Scenic (1.6) and Citroen C1(1.0) the insurance is roughly the same, plus it's not like they are sporty cars, either.
Age, area, engine size and years driving are factors as to why insurance can be high.

Younger drivers are classed as inexperienced, hence why they're usually high.
Reply 4
Original post by AmbaLaBamba
Age, area, engine size and years driving are factors as to why insurance can be high.

Younger drivers are classed as inexperienced, hence why they're usually high.

Aside from Age and Years driving (mine) I can't seem to think of anything else that would make mine expensive, but there are people of the same age who get quotes of much less :confused:
Reply 5
6 grand? for a ****roen? LOL!
Reply 6
Try the comparison sites, it shouldn't be six grand regardless of age and experience.

I always found that I'd save money by never staying with the same company more than one year though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Aside from Age and Years driving (mine) I can't seem to think of anything else that would make mine expensive, but there are people of the same age who get quotes of much less :confused:

2 things, one of which you have mentioned in the OP.

Location. I paid £800 for my car insurance. 10 minutes drive down the road and a different postcode it costs 33% more to insure it. If I moved to London/Manchester it goes up by over 500%.

It is cheaper (for my area at least) to park your car on a public street/road or a residential area rather than your garage.
This is because of two reasons:
1. You are more likely to have a ding moving in and out of a garage (and your insurer assumes you are going to tell them).
2. It is easier to steal. For a start the thief knows which house the car belongs to/where to steal the keys from, and most garages attached to houses make it easier by having a room linked to the garage.

Quick Reply

Latest