The Student Room Group

Anyone taking CIE A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economist2
cant afford uni.as an intl. student I wont be allowed student finance.

I'm sorry to hear that! I wish you best of luck too regardless :smile:
Original post by applicant2014
I'm sorry to hear that! I wish you best of luck too regardless :smile:

thanks.had p3 today.went pretty well,I guess.
Original post by economist2
thanks.had p3 today.went pretty well,I guess.

Maths p3 right? That's nice! Good luck for your remaining papers then! P7 is much easier :biggrin:
I see! Accounting is apparently a pretty famous option! I wish you all the best in everything :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 24
CIE: Geography, Spanish, Business Studies, Maths and Physics. I also take/took ICT and French but it's another Board.

How did exams go? Anybody doing Physics?
Btw, my P3 was disastrous...
I study CIE Pre-U for English Literature, does that count?
Glad to hear that! :biggrin: Yeapp, the MCQs paper 1 and 3 are notorious for question repetition.

I'm not studying at uni currently. I finished my course last year October and am waiting till this year September for uni entry. I applied for Law by the way. :smile: Yourself? What course are you planning to study at uni level?

Which universities did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Which universities did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Queen Mary, LSE, UCL, Oxford and King's College London. Wbu? :smile:
I applied to Queen Mary, LSE, UCL, Oxford and King's College London. Wbu? :smile:

Which universities gave you an offer?

I am currently taking my AS exams so I have not applied yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which universities gave you an offer?

I am currently taking my AS exams so I have not applied yet.

ted from TSR Mobile

I have firmly accepted my unconditional offer from Queen Mary. I did not manage to get offers from the other four though. They all rejected me due to different reasons. As the saying goes, it's not the best students that will get admitted but only those who are best prepared.

Good luck in your future uni application! :smile:
I have firmly accepted my unconditional offer from Queen Mary. I did not manage to get offers from the other four though. They all rejected me due to different reasons. As the saying goes, it's not the best students that will get admitted but only those who are best prepared.

Good luck in your future uni application! :smile:

Thank you. Did LSE and UCL interview you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. Did LSE and UCL interview you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they didn't. They do not interview their straight Law applicants. Decisions are made purely basing on your PS, LNAT score and essay ( UCL but not LSE. LSE doesn't require you to take the LNAT) , your previous and current academic achievements.

Are you going to apply for Law as well?
No, they didn't. They do not interview their straight Law applicants. Decisions are made purely basing on your PS, LNAT score and essay ( UCL but not LSE. LSE doesn't require you to take the LNAT) , your previous and current academic achievements.

Are you going to apply for Law as well?

Yes. That is why I am bothering you with all these questions. If LSE purely decide based on your PS and grades, I can not understand how you did not receive an offer; your grades are astonishing. Very few people acheive higher than 4 A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. That is why I am bothering you with all these questions. If LSE purely decide based on your PS and grades, I can not understand how you did not receive an offer; your grades are astonishing. Very few people acheive higher than 4 A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, don't worry, I'm more than willing to help!

Yes, indeed, LSE makes their decisions based on your PS and predicted/actual grades. I was rejected by them because of my personal statement. Personal statement is very very important if you want to get into LSE. I have seen too many of people being rejected due to PS as well. Maybe the admissions tutors at LSE are not merely looking for perfect grades.

As for LNAT unis, it's then important to score well in your LNAT. Trust me, I can't emphasise this enough.

What unis are you going to apply to?
I see, don't worry, I'm more than willing to help!

Yes, indeed, LSE makes their decisions based on your PS and predicted/actual grades. I was rejected by them because of my personal statement. Personal statement is very very important if you want to get into LSE. I have seen too many of people being rejected due to PS as well. Maybe the admissions tutors at LSE are not merely looking for perfect grades.

As for LNAT unis, it's then important to score well in your LNAT. Trust me, I can't emphasise this enough.

What unis are you going to apply to?

I have not 100% decided as I need to see my AS results. Having said that, I am looking to apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Newcastle and a university that fills the gap between UCL and Newcastle.

Do you think your personal statement is good or was it rushed? How could you have improved it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have not 100% decided as I need to see my AS results. Having said that, I am looking to apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Newcastle and a university that fills the gap between UCL and Newcastle.

Do you think your personal statement is good or was it rushed? How could you have improved it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are all good unis! Hmm, I wouldn't say my PS was ****ty, but it wasn't outstanding either. Average, it was. I could have improved my PS by doing more research, I suppose. You can find some PSs from here and from other websites. See what type of PS constitutes as a good one. There are some guidelines given on LSE official website. There are a lot of experienced PS helpers here as well on TSR. Submit your PS and see what comments they give you. You can start drafting your PS after your AS exams. It is indeed hard to write a 'good' personal statement. Avoid cliché types of openings. Do not be unnecessarily verbose. Think about what really makes you want to read Law. Show that you are a perfect candidate for your unis.

Sadly I did not do anything aforementioned, and I regretted it. That said, I do not think I will regret going to Queen Mary. It's down to what you do that will determine your future success, not where you study after all. :smile:
They are all good unis! Hmm, I wouldn't say my PS was ****ty, but it wasn't outstanding either. Average, it was. I could have improved my PS by doing more research, I suppose. You can find some PSs from here and from other websites. See what type of PS constitutes as a good one. There are some guidelines given on LSE official website. There are a lot of experienced PS helpers here as well on TSR. Submit your PS and see what comments they give you. You can start drafting your PS after your AS exams. It is indeed hard to write a 'good' personal statement. Avoid cliché types of openings. Do not be unnecessarily verbose. Think about what really makes you want to read Law. Show that you are a perfect candidate for your unis.

Sadly I did not do anything aforementioned, and I regretted it. That said, I do not think I will regret going to Queen Mary. It's down to what you do that will determine your future success, not where you study after all. :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I made a draft in January and I am looking to improve it. Have you done any work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice. I made a draft in January and I am looking to improve it. Have you done any work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good! No, I don't have any work experience. But I did involve in a lot of debating-related stuffs though. What about you? Did you have any legal-related work experience before?
That's good! No, I don't have any work experience. But I did involve in a lot of debating-related stuffs though. What about you? Did you have any legal-related work experience before?

I am going to do some work experience in the summer. Do to think it is important to have lots of public speaking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am going to do some work experience in the summer. Do to think it is important to have lots of public speaking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always good to have some work experience. I promised myself I'm going to do one, but I never did at the end. :/ Some minimal exposure would do, you don't have to have a lot of public speaking experience. You just have to show you are always interested in doing some public speaking, so you attended X workshop and participated Y competition, and thus learn Z skills. You can also say you do your own mini research on some legal issues (but you have to be specific) to spare time/for the sake of your passion/for the sake of exploring more etc. That will make you stand out definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest