The Student Room Group

Help!!!!! With english language B

Hey guys.. i m sitting for igcse exam currently.. i m having trouble with english which i have to sit for next 3 days.... i always get a D grade at my revisions.. but.. this time.. i want at least a C or a B maybe.. :smile: someone help me with how to write better directed writings like articles, letters and so on.. i mean like their format and purpose... someone give some advice and tips.. thank you!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by youngyoung
Hey guys.. i m sitting for igcse exam currently.. i m having trouble with english which i have to sit for next 3 days.... i always get a D grade at my revisions.. but.. this time.. i want at least a C or a B maybe.. :smile: someone help me with how to write better directed writings like articles, letters and so on.. i mean like their format and purpose... someone give some advice and tips.. thank you!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey i did english language B. Dont worry i'll type everything in the next post for you. Probably i dont remember because it was a long time (2 years back) but i'll do help you.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Choose your topic carefully. try brainstorming possible topics while asking yourself questions like jotting down some points for your essay which pop up in your mind roughly. Arrange it in an order. Order your article properly. Make sure the beginning of your paragraphs, explains what the paragraph is going to be talked of. Choose the topic which you find easy to do the article quickly and the more points which appear on your mind.
You dont need to select the tough article. All articles are given the same equality marks.

Read your topics carefully. Whatever you get more points for brainstorming, then that should be the topic you choose for the article writing.
And choosing the tough article waste your energy and confidence and overall your time gets wasted as you think alot. So, choose the easiest one for you. No article is considered more or less dominant to the other. It's only the article you choose carefully.

These are the steps i follow.
In my opinion, i always read the topics carefully and understand them.
Secondly, i jot down the points roughly on a paper.
Third, i arrange the points in order. If i get additional points again i put it accordingly. Arrange them in order and in paragraphs. It would be good if your paragraphs are shorter than being a long story. Otherwise, no one will be interested to read if it's long. Short paragraphs makes your article longer and make you satisfied that you have written a number of paragraphs. When writing long paragraphs, at the end you will stammer finding that only two or so paragraphs are written. That is why it's better to break the long paragraphs into short ones. Each paragraph should explain clearly what's it written for and about.
When begiining to write paragraphs, use terms such as
"Once upon a time, Additionally, Firstly, According to, Finally, At the moment. etc.."
These will give a sequence to your article and a flow to read continuously. You can use good terms as "natural aspects etc" which shows that your up to your age. You will be alright. Dont worry. I got a C doing this.

When writing a topic for your article , concentrate on these.
A good title should:

Clearly state what is being taught. An article on how to play guitar like Jimi Hendrix shouldn't be titled simply "Purple Haze." The reader can't tell from the title what kind of article this is - is it a biographical piece? An in-depth look at the song?
Be written with good grammar (generally, capitalize every word except articles (words like "a," "an," "the," etc.), making sure to capitalize the first and last words even if they're articles.)[1]
Convey the content of the article in as few words as possible. "How to Play Guitar like Hendrix" is much more attractive than "How to Play the Electric Guitar Like Rock Star and 27 Club Member Jimi Hendrix."
Avoid complex jargon (for more technical topics, this may be unavoidable.)

Better get a part of the topic from the exam question and join it in your make your topic clear for the examiner that it is the topic given to write for you.

Change your writing style and even the content of your article to make it as useful as possible for your target audience without being boring.

Here's one example: An article on making paper spitballs is going to be read mostly by bored teenage students looking for laughs and people who, for whatever reason, want to vicariously experience that frame of mind. A lengthy section about the effects of air resistance on projectile motion will bore your audience to tears. In this case, keep the article short, sweet, and lighthearted.
An opposite example: An article on solving differential equations shouldn't have much in the way of jokes - people who read this article are likely trying to educate themselves or complete a homework assignment. They're definitely not reading this article for laughs. For this article, the tone should be academic and professional.

iF YOU THINK you find it difficult to shorten a paragraph, cut down unwanted points and try summarizing the points.

Write an introduction that summarizes your article. Readers read an article's introduction to make sure it's right for their needs. Your readers are tantalizingly close to the body of the article, so don't lose them here! Be brief - you shouldn't need more than a paragraph for basic how-tos. Also be sure to include the purpose of the article (forgetting this is a common writing pitfall.) Background information and/or scene-setting is acceptable, but try to keep it to a sentence or two. Above all, don't meander! A directionless introduction can kill an otherwise informative article.

One well-worn trick is to include a question in the opening line to capture a reader's interest. For example: "Have you ever wondered how to write an engaging introduction?"
It's also useful to phrase the last sentence so that it acts as a transition into the body of the article. For example: "Here's how to do it in a few easy steps:"

Add a list of supplies, if needed. If you're writing a how-to article about a process that requires certain tools or supplies to complete, list them before you dive in to the main instructions. Be thorough, but use common sense - for instance, you don't need to list "One oven" in the "Ingredients" section of a recipe how-to.

Here's an example list of ingredients for an article on how to make a pesto sauce:
Two cups fresh basil, packed.
1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated.
1/2 cup olive oil.
1/4 cup pine nuts.
One clove garlic.
Salt and pepper, to taste.
You shouldn't list these things:
One food processor (mention it in the actual instructions)
Pasta (you're not making a pasta dish, just the sauce)
A can-do attitude (things like this usually come across as cheesy)
You can jot points in similar cases in your article. This does increase marks. By the way you can a B for your exam if you do it!

Write your instructions in the form of steps. Organize your steps in chronological order. Whenever possible, try to limit each step to one idea. Use commanding action verbs, not vague phrases like "Be prepared" or "Know what you want to do." You can use sub-steps or bullet lists to add further explanation for complicated steps. As always, keep your sentences short and simple to make your instructions as easy to follow as possible.

A good step for an article about brewing your own wine: "Pick high-quality grapes." A bad step for the same article: "Know what you're getting yourself in to."
Avoid first person reference. Replace “I, me, my, mine, we, our or us” with "you or your" to address the reader directly.
If your article details a particularly long or complex process, you can divide your steps into two or more "parts," each containing steps for a distinct part of the process. An article on farming corn, for instance, might have separate parts for the sowing process, caring for the corn as it grows, harvesting the corn, etc.
Alternatively, if your process can be done in more than one way, you may want to divide your steps into multiple "methods," each explaining a specific way that the process can be done. For instance, an article on changing gears while driving might contain two methods - one for automatic transmissions and one for manual transmissions.

If you go through internet sites to get points it's really good. See all your past papers articles and essays. Get points from the internet. It would help you to remember. It can help you in exams. It's good if you use idioms. Suppose you are given to write a story and you tell finally that a friend help you and tell that you learnt a lesson from then, you can write "A friend in need is a friend indeed". Using idioms also will increase your marks.

Add additional tips or advice. After the main steps, you have an opportunity to add tidbits that didn't warrant a place in the body of the article. Provide alternative supplies or solutions to common problems with the process. Clarify common mistakes or misconceptions. Warn the reader about any potential danger involved with the process.

Tips and warnings should be as explicit as possible, especially if your process is potentially dangerous. You can even use bolded text to call extra attention to especially important warnings.
Here's an example warning for an article on how to install a fan in a computer: Caution. Turn the power off and disconnect the power cable before removing the exterior casing. Serious electric shock can result if the computer isn't completely powered down.

I suggest you to write all articles and essays given on past papers. Because only similar topics appear on exams. You will know the format of writing it and will get used to.

Copyedit (proofread) for errors. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis famously said, "There is no great writing, only great rewriting." No first draft has ever existed that didn't benefit from intelligent editing. Review your spelling, punctuation, grammar, and overall style. Omit any information that isn't necessary. Pare your article down to the bare minimum necessary to convey your information.

It can be difficult to see flaws in your work immediately after you've written it. Take a break for a few hours or go to sleep before editing. When you return to your work, you may find that immediately see improvements that can be made.
Get a friend whose opinion you respect to proofread your work. See if they can understand your instructions - a good how-to article should make sense to people besides its author.

Direct users to other articles. A well-written how-to will pique readers' interest in the article's subject, while a poorly-written one will send readers running for other sources of information. In either case, it can be useful to include links to other how-to articles that cover related topics. Generally, these links will be in the form of a short list at or near the end of the article. These articles should cover articles whose information overlaps with your own and/or articles about processes from the same general field. For instance, an article about how to "perm" hair might include links to articles on how to:

Care for permed hair
Get rid of a perm
Braid Hair
Give someone a Jeri Curl
Use a curling iron
Apply mousse

Hope it helps. I am sure it will lead you to an A atleast
Reply 4
Omg!!! A lot to read.. xD .. and thank you xD!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Omg!!! A lot to read.. xD .. and thank you xD!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just read it once. Please you will surely get A. I did english language B. I knew where my mistakes were and why i got C. That's why i am telling you.
Reply 6
I read it.. it helps.. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I read it.. it helps.. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good. Follow it and get A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending