The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Character and voice predictions English lit? 2014

Scroll to see replies

Guys, have you looked at any model A* answers?
Which structure do you use? Last year, I would write three paragraphs of comparisonusing TILTFS (comparison of Themes & Ideas, comparison of Language & Tone, comparison of Form & Structure) and I got 74 UMS on the paper out of (I think 80?). But now I discovered FLIRTS? (Form, Language, Imagery, Repetition, Tone, Structure). Which would you rather use? I'd place imagery under language and repetition under structure so isn't that only essentially FLS?
Reply 41
All these people on this thread, i can imagine the disappointment on our faces if the two poems dont come up
Original post by rach.woodward
Can we still compare the poems Give, Brendon Gallacher and The Ruined Maid with the one given to us or will that lower our marks?

You can still compare with any of these. Last year, I compared Allison with Brendon Gallacher and I got A* in the paper. Compare with whichever you're most confident in doing so with
Original post by noahdiiv
You can still compare with any of these. Last year, I compared Allison with Brendon Gallacher and I got A* in the paper. Compare with whichever you're most confident in doing so with

Oh okay, thankyou so much!
Did you do similarities and differences or just one,instead of the other?
Original post by rach.woodward
Oh okay, thankyou so much!
Did you do similarities and differences or just one,instead of the other?

I did both because I felt strongly for them. If you feel strongly about them being mainly similar or mainly different, say so and demonstrate so convincingly to the examiner. Otherwise, if you start to feel unsure, aim for a mixture of both to show that you have a deep knowledge of both poems
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400704505.649094.jpg
Helpful table from my revision guid for what to compare the poems with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, have you looked at any model A* answers?
Which structure do you use? Last year, I would write three paragraphs of comparisonusing TILTFS (comparison of Themes & Ideas, comparison of Language & Tone, comparison of Form & Structure) and I got 74 UMS on the paper out of (I think 80?). But now I discovered FLIRTS? (Form, Language, Imagery, Repetition, Tone, Structure). Which would you rather use? I'd place imagery under language and repetition under structure so isn't that only essentially FLS?

Yeah it is FLS.
Reply 47
have predictions from previous papers/years came out to be true?
Reply 48
Original post by salome12
do you think it is risky if i did these 8 poems?:frown:

Les grands seigneurs with medusa
on a portrait of a deaf man with case history
my last dutchess with river god
and the clown punk with hunchback

No i think you should be fine! Ive only done les grand seigneurs and portrait of a deaf man
what points did u compare with these? x
Original post by Tara133
No i think you should be fine! Ive only done les grand seigneurs and portrait of a deaf man
what points did u compare with these? x

they both have an unexpected take on relationships and imperfect husbands
they both consist of black humour, although medusa has more in it
both poems have an extended metaphor- LGS metaphor of courtly love and in medusa the myth is a metaphor for jealous women

it's from bitesize xx
Reply 50
Original post by salome12
oh sorry! i didnt know how to compare them two poems so thats why i decided to compare the with different ones x

Oh right thanks and i meant the casehistory with portrait of a deaf man, i wouldnt compare lgs with portrait they have nothing in common:frown:
Original post by Tara133
Oh right thanks and i meant the casehistory with portrait of a deaf man, i wouldnt compare lgs with portrait they have nothing in common:frown:

Both poems deal with a before-and-after scenario: the present Alison is in some ways an entirely different character from the pre-accident person; as we get to know and like Betjeman's living father, we're exposed to more graphic imagery of his death. Betjeman views the past and present versions of his father in very different ways.

Readers will perhaps experience
sympathy in both poems: one might feel sorry for the post-accident Alison, who has suffered brain damage; they might also sympathise with Betjeman for the loss of his father.

Both poems deal with the theme of
death in one way or another: Betjeman's father has died (as has his faith in God, if he had any); Alison is still alive, but the Alison of the past is dead.

(that's from biteside too) x
les grands seigneurs is one of the few poems I think I could get an A* with I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it to come up =(
How lucky were we?!
Reply 54
Was so lucky that both LGS and POADM came up:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How lucky were we?!

VERY!!!! :biggrin::wink::banana::banana2:
Original post by econam
Was so lucky that both LGS and POADM came up:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! Not only that but the unseen poem I had also analysed in class already - best GCSE paper I've done yet. :biggrin:

I did Les Grand Seigneurs and compared it with Brendon Gallacher (although I know many compared with Medusa too, a few also did Singh Song which was a bit of an odd one to compare with) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
I was so happy
WE WERE UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY:biggrin:
Though I expected those poems I also practice an essay exploring the them of 'love' the night before.
I should have been certain these poems would come up otherwise it's not fair the the poets if one comes up twice
and the other not at all?

Anyway if anyone's wondering I did LGS and compared it with My last duchess as I was desperate to talk about the
statue of powerful Neptune "taming" small sea horse and that's the ideal relationship the speaker wanted.
Original post by Me-llamo-naomi
WE WERE UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY:biggrin:
Though I expected those poems I also practice an essay exploring the them of 'love' the night before.
I should have been certain these poems would come up otherwise it's not fair the the poets if one comes up twice
and the other not at all?

Anyway if anyone's wondering I did LGS and compared it with My last duchess as I was desperate to talk about the
statue of powerful Neptune "taming" small sea horse and that's the ideal relationship the speaker wanted.

Do you think that it's okay that I compared LGS to the Clown Punk? >.< I kinda forced Clown Punk into becoming about relationships because there were lots of points I could think of for that, but now I'm a bit worried that the examiner might be like 'nah, doesn't answer question'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending