The Student Room Group

A* from just reading cgp books

Scroll to see replies

Coming from an A level student who didn't get 3 A*s in GCSE Science (only 1 :frown: but 358 UMS in Physics and Biology) I think it's definitely possible with less. I didn't even have the CGP books, GCSE is more about learning the mark scheme from past papers as opposed to any real knowledge.
Original post by AlphaNick
Well if you did a lot of them for GCSE mocks, like me, you've run dry already.

There's no harm in doing these, if you do just one whole document, that's 80 fewer questions that could bother you on the paper, and there are 7-8 questions on the actual paper.

And also if you do one whole document, that's a whole lot of time that could have been spent doing more interesting stuff/other revision/having a nice break just wasted! I personally don't see the point, but if you do and you want to then go right ahead, lol
Reply 22
Original post by LollyPopzicle
Do you think that a reasonably intelligent person could get all a*s in the 3 sciences but ONLY reading through CGP books and doing past papers?

For GCSE- yes doing past papers are essentially, anyway I read CGP books, and the given textbooks from back to front and did past papers and I got all A*'s in my sciences...
Reply 23
Original post by LollyPopzicle
Do you think that a reasonably intelligent person could get all a*s in the 3 sciences but ONLY reading through CGP books and doing past papers?

A reasonably intelligent person could get three A*s without any pre-hand revision, just going on what they remember and their logic.
Reply 24
Original post by x__justmyluck
I did it for bio and chem A level so I'm sure you can for GCSE.

really? Just the CGP books for revision.. They are useful but lack alot of detail
Reply 25
I used 4 sources last year:

www.mygcsescience.com
CGP textbook
A Collins textbook
CGP workbook

I used the CGP stuff the most and got most knowledge from these, so you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qtj987
really? Just the CGP books for revision.. They are useful but lack alot of detail

Yup CGP books then past papers. The textbooks contain lots of irrelevant things and are way too long and boring to revise from (for me anyway but I was short on time).
Reply 27
Cgp+past papers= A*

Did biology in year 10 and achieved 2 a* and 1 A in the three exams but my controlled assessment grade dropped my overall to an A. I got a C in my controlled assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I only looked at the books the night before the exams aswell. It is entirely possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply