The Student Room Group

What do you think of girls who hook up with guys in relationships?

Scroll to see replies

All I have to say is imagine them being the girl in the relationship and let's see how they like being cheated on.

Karma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
I personally don't think the new girl should bear much responsibility at all.

It's like law of agency - the third party rarely knows the details of the agreement between the other two.

If she does the minimum "Is your girlfriend/wife/fiancee going to be ok with this?" that's good enough. The rest is on him.
Depends on the situation; the girl can get manipulated into carrying it on after one mistake or she can be a slut who thinks she's clever because she "likes a challenge" and doesn't give a **** about people's feelings while the guy can range from weak, falling for temptation or a man whore/player who needs a slap as he clearly cares little for his girlfriend.
I think the point is most effective when we take gender out of it.

A's partner (B) cheats on A with C.

In this situation I think B is the most reprehensible. C is also a prick but less so than B.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't change the morality of this depending on the gender of any of the participants.
Interesting, and I agree with the posters above, who say that it is absolutely 100% morally reprehensible to allow someone to cheat with you (although I would say the cheater has a greater moral fault). However, I don't agree with those who have suggested that someone who does this is likely to cheat in a relationship, or do this again. You can never know, and I feel judging people on their past mistakes is unfair.
I have been the other woman, in a situation where I knew that my best friend had a girlfriend, and I knew the girlfriend (albeit not well). I was in love with him (a poor defence, but the only one I have) and he told me he loved me, and that his relationship was going really badly. We never went all the way, but began acting more like a couple, until he told me that he wasn't going to end his relationship. During that time, I felt very guilty vis a vis his girlfriend, but felt that if we were going to be a couple eventually it made little difference, so what I was doing was "ok". When I found out that actually we were not going to become a couple, I told him I no longer wanted anything to do with him and not to contact me again. In this situation, I would describe myself as entirely morally at fault, but I know that I would never ever do anything even resembling that again.
Original post by Anonymous
Interesting, and I agree with the posters above, who say that it is absolutely 100% morally reprehensible to allow someone to cheat with you (although I would say the cheater has a greater moral fault). However, I don't agree with those who have suggested that someone who does this is likely to cheat in a relationship, or do this again. You can never know, and I feel judging people on their past mistakes is unfair.
I have been the other woman, in a situation where I knew that my best friend had a girlfriend, and I knew the girlfriend (albeit not well). I was in love with him (a poor defence, but the only one I have) and he told me he loved me, and that his relationship was going really badly. We never went all the way, but began acting more like a couple, until he told me that he wasn't going to end his relationship. During that time, I felt very guilty vis a vis his girlfriend, but felt that if we were going to be a couple eventually it made little difference, so what I was doing was "ok". When I found out that actually we were not going to become a couple, I told him I no longer wanted anything to do with him and not to contact me again. In this situation, I would describe myself as entirely morally at fault, but I know that I would never ever do anything even resembling that again.

Glad you learned your lesson and realized you were probably nothing more than his bit on the side.
Original post by janicee
I think both are wrong, I don't see one being worse than the other. They both sort of cheated whoever was going out with them. Whether they know the person they betrayed or not, it's still wrong and the person will hurt exactly the same.
If the person with the cheater doesn't know, then you can't really blame them.
If someone cheated on me with a girl that didn't know he was in a relationship, I'd be hurt by her but I wouldn't absolutely hate her the way I'd hate the guy. I hope I'd understand it isn't her fault, but it depends on how angry I'd be :biggrin:

Surely you have to make some sort of agreement to "betray" someone, by definition? Betrayal implies you were first on their side, then you changed. That isn't the case if you bang some stranger's partner.

I still think cheaters are at fault, but I mostly meant the idiotic ones who like the "challenge" of getting a guy in a relationship. To be honest I think your situation is different because you were in love.
They always say love makes you do crazy things (never been in one personally) but I guess in your best friend's eyes, you betrayed her. Did you ever tell her what happened, did she find out another way or did she just never find out? As an outsider, I don't put as much blame on you because you were in love but if I was her, I would have shattered at bit at finding out the person I trust did that.

Sorry if it sounds harsh or blunt, its just my opinion.
I would blame the cheater and the person who cheated with them but it depends on the situation.

I guess you could have waited to see if he was going to break, but it doesn't matter now, at least you've learned from the experience.
Okay wrong word: use hurt instead.
But personally I can't comprehend ever doing that to someone so I struggle to understand people who do. But yeah if they're in love then they're less able to control their emotions; so yeah I would blame them less.
Reply 29
If the other girl knew he was in a relationship, IMO she's desperate. I don't understand how people can be satisfied being the bit on the side.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by EllieC130
Depends on the situation; the girl can get manipulated into carrying it on after one mistake or she can be a slut who thinks she's clever because she "likes a challenge" and doesn't give a **** about people's feelings while the guy can range from weak, falling for temptation or a man whore/player who needs a slap as he clearly cares little for his girlfriend.

I don't see how it can be seen as a 'mistake' if she gets manipulated into continuing after finding out he has a partner. He's obviously set on continuing, and he's the only one with an obligation towards his partner. If she has to be convinced into continuing by him, then she can no longer be accused of encouraging him and 'leading him astray'. And thus she is absolved of virtually all fault, in my opinion.

Original post by VeeB
If the other girl knew he was in a relationship, IMO she's desperate. I don't understand how people can be satisfied being the bit on the side.

Exactly how often is a woman's male lover seen as 'desperate' or 'the bit on the side'?
Reply 31
Original post by Ronove

Exactly how often is a woman's male lover seen as 'desperate' or 'the bit on the side'?

Do you mean if she was the one cheating with him?
Reply 32
Original post by VeeB
Do you mean if she was the one cheating with him?

Indeed. He's often seen as the thing she needs, the escape, the 'better' man.
Original post by janicee
I still think cheaters are at fault, but I mostly meant the idiotic ones who like the "challenge" of getting a guy in a relationship. To be honest I think your situation is different because you were in love.
They always say love makes you do crazy things (never been in one personally) but I guess in your best friend's eyes, you betrayed her. Did you ever tell her what happened, did she find out another way or did she just never find out? As an outsider, I don't put as much blame on you because you were in love but if I was her, I would have shattered at bit at finding out the person I trust did that.

Sorry if it sounds harsh or blunt, its just my opinion.
I would blame the cheater and the person who cheated with them but it depends on the situation.

I guess you could have waited to see if he was going to break, but it doesn't matter now, at least you've learned from the experience.

In this situation, the best friend was the guy. Who is no longer my best friend. I didn't know his girlfriend well. I have no idea if he told her, but I doubt it. They've broken up now, unsurprisingly.

But, like I said, I don't think what I did was in any way justifiable, and I agree with you that cheaters, including those who allow people to cheat with them are at fault, I just feel the arguments on here that it's indefinitely unforgivable, and that someone in this situation is always going to be a serial cheater, are a little bit excessive. However, I can see that they are the consequences of my actions, and I wouldn't blame anyone who thought that of me.
Reply 34
Original post by Ronove
Indeed. He's often seen as the thing she needs, the escape, the 'better' man.

I think that's double standards. There are so many things that a man can do that a woman can't, and vice versa. I don't condone cheating either way, although I am aware it's thought of like that. I just can't stand the idea of one person abusing another's trust in such a way.
In this situation, the best friend was the guy. Who is no longer my best friend. I didn't know his girlfriend well. I have no idea if he told her, but I doubt it. They've broken up now, unsurprisingly.

But, like I said, I don't think what I did was in any way justifiable, and I agree with you that cheaters, including those who allow people to cheat with them are at fault, I just feel the arguments on here that it's indefinitely unforgivable, and that someone in this situation is always going to be a serial cheater, are a little bit excessive. However, I can see that they are the consequences of my actions, and I wouldn't blame anyone who thought that of me.

Oops sorry, I get so confused! Well it's not as bad as I thought it was, that's a lot better! And I agree, that is unsurprising they've broken up. It must be annoying for you (probably more than annoying) as he was your best friend and then lied to get you -.- what an awful best friend, I can see why your not friends with him anymore. I would say that is a sort of betrayal because you trusted what he said. You did something you believed was wrong, for love. I don't blame you for that. Best friends make good couples too if they ever tried, but he was idiotic and lost something meaningful there. Maybe he was planning on being with you but chickened out? I'm being hopeful, but anyway I think people arguing about how "cheaters will always be cheaters" mean the type that don't consider other people's opinions and do it solely for fun. You didn't do that. So I think your exempt :smile: but I guess you dealt with the consequences already for losing your best friend and the person you loved. That must have been hard. I completely respect you for doing that, you did the right thing.
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I think the point is most effective when we take gender out of it.

A's partner (B) cheats on A with C.

In this situation I think B is the most reprehensible. C is also a prick but less so than B.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't change the morality of this depending on the gender of any of the participants.

Thank you!
Chicks before dicks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all her fault if she knows!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fagundesm
It's all her fault if she knows!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

All her fault? Not the fault of, you know, the person who actually cheated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending