The Student Room Group

Who is the most famous person to come from your town/city?

Scroll to see replies

Magnito from x men lol.
Captain James Cook. BEAT THAT!! :p:

(Although, strictly speaking, he was born in a village which later became part of my town, rather than born in the town itself... :colondollar:)
Onkar Judge
Original post by Drewski
Are you elaborately trying to get enough information on people to be able to steal their identities?

I ask, because all your threads ask people questions about them and their identity and you can easily, if someone answers more than a couple of your threads, put enough together to commit fraud.

Your threads include:

TV shows that debuted in the year you were born?
Your Career History
What was going on in the world on the day you were born?
First Instragram Post
First Youtube video you uploaded?
First Facebook Status
(which you've asked more than once)
Which are your favourite TV show/Films Bands/Singers? (The types of things that are asked for security questions)
Who was PM when you were born?
What was going on football wise on your birth date?

All those threads give away information about people that would otherwise be kept confidential. Date of birth, hometown, history, digital footprint...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg in full is [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?u=390692&starteronly=1&userid=390692&filter[userid]=390692&filter[type]=thread"]here
for anyone interested. 915 threads, most of which asking personal questions.

I urge anyone posting in these threads to think about what they're writing.

He also really aggressively self-bumps them

+ qfv
Reply 64
Original post by esjae
Aneurin Bevan - Need I say more?
Ray Reardon - some snooker player, I'm friends with his granddaughter or something...
Neil Kinnock
Steve Jones - Ran some marathons and set a record that still hasn't been beaten
Mark Colbourne MBE - Because of him we now have a gold post box!

Owow

Neil Kinnock is my hero.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Ggmu!
Owow

Neil Kinnock is my hero.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?
Original post by Ggmu!
Owow

Neil Kinnock is my hero.

What?! Never heard anyone say that before.... Apart from Mrs. Kinnock in private perhaps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blubimnotafish
I think in my Dutch hometown maybe a politician, an average rapper and an author.

From where I live now (Newcastleee), the entire cast of Geordie Shore and Cheryl Cole.

I think Sting, Alan Shearer, Eric Burdon, Lord Armstrong, Thomas Addison, and Mark Knopfler* are all more famous, or certainly more important and influential, than Cheryl Cole or Geordie Shore buffoons.

*I know Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow.
Reply 68
Mel B from the spices girls! and Mr neville longbottom from Harry potter!
oh and christ pine (main character of star trek?) studied enligsh lit at leeds uni if that counts too! :biggrin:
Robin Hood is probably the person most identified with Nottingham.

DH Lawrence, Carl Froch, Torvill and Dean, and Matthew Horne are a few others. I struggled to even think of those four- that was a lot more difficult than I thought. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jiji11
Mel B from the spices girls! and Mr neville longbottom from Harry potter!
oh and christ pine (main character of star trek?) studied enligsh lit at leeds uni if that counts too! :biggrin:

Herbert Asquith? Damien Hirst? Harry Ramsden?
Original post by blubimnotafish
From where I live now (Newcastleee), the entire cast of Geordie Shore and Cheryl Cole.

Of all the wonderful people from Newcastle, you pick Geordie Shore?!! Shame on you.

What about Bobby Robson, Alan Shearer, Gladstone Adams (inventor of the windscreen wiper), Thomas Addison (discoverer of Addison's disease), Brian Johnson (AC/DC), Ant and Dec, Ross Noble, Sarah Millican, Sting, Maximo Park, Jonathan Edwards....
Alex Turner/Arctic Monkeys, Bring Me The Horizon, Jarvis Cocker/Pulp, While She Sleeps, Lucy Spraggan, Reverend and the Makers..
Original post by Drewski
Are you elaborately trying to get enough information on people to be able to steal their identities?

I ask, because all your threads ask people questions about them and their identity and you can easily, if someone answers more than a couple of your threads, put enough together to commit fraud.

Your threads include:

TV shows that debuted in the year you were born?
Your Career History
What was going on in the world on the day you were born?
First Instragram Post
First Youtube video you uploaded?
First Facebook Status
(which you've asked more than once)
Which are your favourite TV show/Films Bands/Singers? (The types of things that are asked for security questions)
Who was PM when you were born?
What was going on football wise on your birth date?

All those threads give away information about people that would otherwise be kept confidential. Date of birth, hometown, history, digital footprint...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg in full is [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?u=390692&starteronly=1&userid=390692&filter[userid]=390692&filter[type]=thread"]here
for anyone interested. 915 threads, most of which asking personal questions.

I urge anyone posting in these threads to think about what they're writing.

illuminati?is that you? :wink:
Oh, Jessica Ennis, who happened to be a family friend and lived next door growing up. #ClaimToFame
Original post by RowingGoose
Of all the wonderful people from Newcastle, you pick Geordie Shore?!! Shame on you.

What about Bobby Robson, Alan Shearer, Gladstone Adams (inventor of the windscreen wiper), Thomas Addison (discoverer of Addison's disease), Brian Johnson (AC/DC), Ant and Dec, Ross Noble, Sarah Millican, Sting, Maximo Park, Jonathan Edwards....

Already went there :p:

Though Brian Johnson is from Gateshead. Bobby Robson's from County Durham, Sarah Milican from South Shields, Jonathan Edwards from the sarf but I'll give you that as at least he lives and has been base din Newcastle for some years. Maximo Park have their origins in Newcastle

My pick would be: -

Sting*
Eric Burdon
Thomas Addison
Lord Armstrong
Mark Knopfler*
Alan Shearer

Not really going for "famous", as Eric Burdon probably isn't as famous as The Animals are, and Thomas Addison's a lot less famous than the disease named after him, but I went for importance/influence as much as fame.
Anthony Hopkins
Michael Sheen
Rob Brydon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jeremy Clarkson lives locally
As does Sally Barker who was on The Voice
And Sir Frank Whittle, who invented the jet engine
Daniel Craig lives in my town

Lily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Ashley Cole grew up in Stepney, East London.

What. A. Legend.

Quick Reply

Latest