The Student Room Group

MC/SC chances?

Hi all,
I'm about to graduate from a Russell group uni with a degree in economics, and I'm considering taking the GDL conversion course next year... how important is a high 2:1 in securing a MC/SC/t20 contract if your first degree is not law?
ie if I were to take the GDL next year and secure a distinction, how important would my first degree grades be? I have great extracurriculars, and I'm working on securing some legal experience; but have been unable to secure any Vacation Schemes this year
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lawyertobe2013
Hi all,
I'm about to graduate from a Russell group uni with a degree in economics, and I'm considering taking the GDL conversion course next year... how important is a high 2:1 in securing a MC/SC/t20 contract if your first degree is not law?
ie if I were to take the GDL next year and secure a distinction, how important would my first degree grades be? I have great extracurriculars, and I'm working on securing some legal experience; but have been unable to secure any Vacation Schemes this year
Thanks!

I think you've secured the same chance as any other. It's difficult to secure a distinction on the GDL so that could secure you some help.

Generally speaking, you need to secure a high 2:1 to secure a TC with any decent law firm, not just the groupings you listed in a very secure manner.

Have I secured you any reassurance here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Key123
I think you've secured the same chance as any other. It's difficult to secure a distinction on the GDL so that could secure you some help.

Generally speaking, you need to secure a high 2:1 to secure a TC with any decent law firm, not just the groupings you listed in a very secure manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you consider as meeting the benchmark for a high 2.1? 65%+

Couldn't someone do really well in first year i,e strong first > secure vacation schemes > get TC offer of the back of the schemes > end up scraping 60% in finals?
Reply 3
Original post by Cutmeloose
What do you consider as meeting the benchmark for a high 2.1? 65%+

Couldn't someone do really well in first year i,e strong first > secure vacation schemes > get TC offer of the back of the schemes > end up scraping 60% in finals?

Yes and yes. Any offer will likely just be any 2:1 or above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I should say my assertion re high 2:1 was for a non-law degree. I'm not sure it matters so much LLB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lawyertobe2013
but have been unable to secure any Vacation Schemes this year

Slightly off topic as to what you originally asked, but I would definitely focus on this fact. If you weren't successful in securing any vacation schemes, what are you going to do differently come TC applications? Obviously being 'unsuccessful' could mean a wide range of things - rejection at the application stage, perhaps after a telephone interview or even after an assessment centre. My point is that if you were rejected at an early stage most of the time, then really look at why this might be and then go on from there.

Otherwise, as others have noted, a 'high' 2.1, a variety of ECs and relevant work experience will put you in the same stead as most other applicants - from there it is somewhat like a lottery.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LawLad13
Slightly off topic as to what you originally asked, but I would definitely focus on this fact. If you weren't successful in securing any vacation schemes, what are you going to do differently come TC applications? Obviously being 'unsuccessful' could mean a wide range of things - rejection at the application stage, perhaps after a telephone interview or even after an assessment centre. My point is that if you were rejected at an early stage most of the time, then really look at why this might be and then go on from there.

Otherwise, as others have noted, a 'high' 2.1, a variety of ECs and relevant work experience will put you in the same stead as most other applicants - from there it is somewhat like a lottery.

What are your thoughts on non-law but professional work experience? I have internship(s) offers in strategy consulting and asset management for my first year summer. I worked at a law firm on my gap year, and I'm still considering other avenues, so probably won't get any legal work experience this summer. Would that sort of experience be useful for vac schemes applications come the Autumn?

Also, I'm considering going into banking, so would third year law students applying for vac schemes be massively disadvantaged/assuming that you can't really apply for TCs without vacation schemes (may end up doing a banking internship for the penultimate summer)
Reply 7
Original post by Cutmeloose
What are your thoughts on non-law but professional work experience? I have internship(s) offers in strategy consulting and asset management for my first year summer. I worked at a law firm on my gap year, and I'm still considering other avenues, so probably won't get any legal work experience this summer. Would that sort of experience be useful for vac schemes applications come the Autumn?

Also, I'm considering going into banking, so would third year law students applying for vac schemes be massively disadvantaged/assuming that you can't really apply for TCs without vacation schemes (may end up doing a banking internship for the penultimate summer)

In my opinion there is certainly a misconception amongst students about the phrase 'relevant work experience' - i.e. they equate 'relevant' to simply meaning 'legal/law'. Law firms aren't naive and they know that any legal work experience pre-graduation is likely to mean simply shadowing an associate/partner and perhaps reading or practise drafting some simple documents. Where legal work experience is more 'relevant' than other forms of work experience is that it helps with the question of 'why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?' or 'what are you motivations for pursuing law as a career?'; you are able to point to empirical evidence as reinforcing or, being the actual basis, for any motivation for a career in law. It simply adds more gravitas.

However, beyond that, 'relevant' work experience is, to me, any work experience that can be meaningfully related to working in a large firm. For example, when talking to the Recruitment Partner of a SC firm, he specifically mentioned that one of the most eye-catching places to have worked at prior to applying is Tesco. Why? In his opinion he was incredibly interested to know what the applicant has garnered from working at one of the most successful companies in the world - and that's essentially the crux of the matter. Advising on legal matters is the bread and butter of what a law firm does, but what about, for example, having to work and cooperate within large teams of people and communicating effectively with both colleagues and clients? So to answer your question, in my opinion, whether or not internships in consulting and strategy are beneficial to your potential applications is ultimately down to you. If you are able to find relatable aspects that transfer across, they are most definitely relevant.

As for your last question, that is much harder to answer. I can only say that, generally speaking, vacation schemes for finalists and graduates are much smaller in scale compared to penultimate year Summer ones. Therefore, naturally, they are significantly harder to get on to - this will be true regardless if someone had a penultimate year VS under their belt or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha thanks; I wrote this at 3am in the morning; didn't realise I used the word "secure" so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending