The Student Room Group

How much do grades matter for VS applications, assuming you have a 2:1?

Does it matter THAT much if you have, say:

Low 2:1
High 2:1
1st?

Is there a certain cut-off at which it doesn't matter, and the other things in your application (work experience, extracurriculars) matter more?

Would a person with a low/mid 2:1 have a shot at basically every top law firm? (MC and US Firms)
I don't think a person with a 61/62% would be in shot with the very very selective US firms, i.e Cleary, Skadden. Spoke to people at Slaughter and May and apparently you need a fairly 'strong' 2.1 to mount a competitive application. Once you're hitting 65%+ then I'd assume other factors become more important. Definitely going to be a difference between a low 2.1 and a first..

I think it's most important to attempt to get a 2.1 across all the modules. I think it really depends on the individual, since I know applicants who got fairly low 2.1s (with a few 2.2s thrown in for good measure) but managed to get onto vacation schemes at MC/US/SC firms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Doubtful, but then VSs are more competitive than TCs because the good candidates can do as many VSs as they have time for. That said, I know of people with low 2.1s who've gone on to be offered TCs at SCs...

Original post by lifeisgood.

1st?

Is there a certain cut-off at which it doesn't matter, and the other things in your application (work experience, extracurriculars) matter more?

Would a person with a low/mid 2:1 have a shot at basically every top law firm? (MC and US Firms)
Reply 3

1st?

Unless it's changed since when I applied, as long as you met the AAB requirement and were projected a 2.1, you passed the automatic filters and could thus submit an application. So technically if you are able to submit an application, you do have a shot at all firms with grades like that.

If someone has the time and inclination to want to fill out and submit applications to every 'top' firm, then I guess they could do so under the proviso that as long as someone in graduate recruitment reads their application, they have whatever chance of being accepted to the next stage. No doubt over the years people have done this and everyone knows of someone that has got a VS despite having, what one might consider, below-par grades.

It's very much a cost-benefit analysis in wanting to take such an approach: Is someone willing or, indeed, even have, the necessary time and requisite effort to fill out many lengthy application forms to the best of their ability? Are they able to make their applications bespoke to each individual law firm, or will they make mistakes when copying and pasting answers/deliver generic answers that will stand out like a sore thumb? Are they willing to accept that a lot of hard work will, on the balance of probabilities, come to nothing? If anyone can answer yes, honestly, to these questions then I guess they could be a proponent of the adage 'if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle'.

Ultimately most people aren't able to answer yes to the questions above and therefore the most sensible (and usually most productive in terms of results) is to target specific firms that 1) practise areas of law that interest you and, 2) give you the greatest perceived chance of being a successful applicant there.
Original post by rtzj00
im doing a vac scheme this summer at linklaters, skadden, weil and davis polk and got average 65 in my first year exams - 68 in contract/tort and go to a top three uni - think you need a decent 2.1 but I got 61's in 2 modules too

Top three uni - code for LSE.

Just done my first year here, how much extra curricular did you have in first year?
I got 73% and 67% in two modules for first year so far - and have been rejected from firms for vac schemes, and even first year open days.
Original post by Knalchemist
I got 73% and 67% in two modules for first year so far - and have been rejected from firms for vac schemes, and even first year open days.

Then how would you say firms choose people for open days/vs? Especially considering there are many people with lower grades than you that got in. Haha I'm having a hard time reconciling this fact.

With no offense meant whatsoever, maybe it was your university? What uni are you at?

Also you mention you just finished first year yet you mention getting rejected from VacSchemes. I thought VS was only for penultimates? So in that case rejection would be assumed?
Then how would you say firms choose people for open days/vs? Especially considering there are many people with lower grades than you that got in. Haha I'm having a hard time reconciling this fact.

With no offense meant whatsoever, maybe it was your university? What uni are you at?

Also you mention you just finished first year yet you mention getting rejected from VacSchemes. I thought VS was only for penultimates? So in that case rejection would be assumed?

There are many vac schemes for first years as well. I am studying at Birkbeck, University of London.

I think they base it on the whole application - not just grades. Many firms recruit trainee's out of their VS's, so they apply the same recruitment assessments to VS as they would to TC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending