The Student Room Group

How do you organise your book/film/music collection?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If I have a series, I`ll put them together. Any others, I just throw them in the collection :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Personally I'm a person who likes my books to be organised alphabetically by author, but then films I do by genre (so my disney stuff stays together, then my teen movie kinda things, adventure movies etc. etc.). My music on iTunes is sorted alphabetically by artist but the CDs I have are just randomly shoved into a box once I've put them on the computer.

How do you guys organise things? Or do you not? Is it all just a mess.

My books are organised by type, and (more importantly) by size, so they fit onto my bookshelves etc. Though, the shelves aren't just used for books.
My puzzle books are organised by size, smallest on the top.

My CD's aren't really organised, except for my NOW Music CD's - smallest number on the bottom, largest number (and thus the most recent) on the top. :smile:

Though most of my music is burned onto windows media player - which automatically sorts everything by artist.
My books are arranged primarily by how recently i bought/read them (top of my shelf is filled with books i am yet to read and after that books i recently read and below that, older ones etc) secondarily, i separate them by genre; all young adult books are together and classic ones together. easier to find tbh :smile:)

Guide
automatically
I haven't organised my music or films on my laptop yet. Some are in downloads, desktop, documents or music folders. I've been meaning to sort them out for years :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
My books are organised according to the shape of the book (same-size books together) or genre, then by author. For example, I have all my Penguin Classics in a row organised by the author's surname. Likewise, tall non-Penguin fiction books are together organised by author, and it's the same for the different categories of non-fiction.

My music files are organised in directory paths following the convention:
\Music\Album artist\Album title (Year)\

Film files are named:
Title (Year)

I don't have enough DVDs to have a system.
Playlists.

So much easier.
I do it alphabetical/date, for example a section of my DVD shelf is like Batman The Movie, The BFG (1989), Bee Movie.

Quick Reply

Latest