The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship Interview?

Hello,

I have an apprenticeship interview on Thursday this week and I have a three hour interview. I was wondering if any knows what will happen during this time? Will they be testing my basic numeracy and literacy skills? Or something along them lines? Or will it just be just a lenthgy interview?

any help appreciated,

Snowy.
Original post by snowy africa
Hello,

I have an apprenticeship interview on Thursday this week and I have a three hour interview. I was wondering if any knows what will happen during this time? Will they be testing my basic numeracy and literacy skills? Or something along them lines? Or will it just be just a lenthgy interview?

any help appreciated,

Snowy.

Hello :smile:

I completed a three year apprenticeship and I also had a long interview, but a few days before hand they asked me to prepare a presentation for them which took up most of the time. I guess it depends what the apprenticeship is and where at, but I would have thought it would be time spent to get to know you rather than test you.

Ash
Okay, thanks!

I was just a little concerned about how long the interview seems to be and if that meant any tests of somesort. Do you have any interview tips?

many thanks,
Snowy
Original post by snowy africa
Okay, thanks!

I was just a little concerned about how long the interview seems to be and if that meant any tests of somesort. Do you have any interview tips?

many thanks,
Snowy

To be honest, that does seem like quite a long time for an interview, however the longer the better really. It means they want to spend a good amount of time.

Interview tips, sure I will list some below that helped me with mine.

I am sure most of these you already know / have been told, but still

Nothing is better than confidence, you need to feel comfortable within the sector your going into, so it helps to go in with a friendly, confidant attitude, (I was quite shy on mine and they picked that up, and later found out they most likely were not going to give me the job due to it)

Dress for the occation (Dress smart, basically make sure you look your best)

Eye contact, you want them to see that you are listening to them, however don't constantly do it :wink: you don't want to come across weird or freak them out.

Take a note pad or something to takes notes with, I have always found its a good idea to do so even if you never need to use it.

Arrive a good 30 minutes early (if possible), it will firstly show you have good time management and secondly it gives you a little bit of time to relax your self, think over how you will meet them.

This is a good time for you to express your self and more or less brag about the things you have done, I mean don't come across like a douche bag, but you know, when answering their questions, answer with confidence.

Keep it formal and professional, make sure you use formal english and not any slang, that is quite a big turn off for any employer.

Get an early night, depending what time your interview is most likely quite early and between working hours, but when you wake up you need to feel fresh and ready, so a good healthy breakfast is a plus.

Don't feel put off if you feel the interview didn't go exactly how you expected it to or you think you could have done 'X' better.
If it didn't, oh well, its not the end of the world, you did it and gained the experience.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific! I'm not sure what area your apprenticeship is in, so these are just general tips.

Ash

Quick Reply

Latest